Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 6: If you were in charge of your favorite movie/tv franchise, what would do with it next?

Thanks, Crowley!

Dunno. I don't think there's any way to actually improve Brooklyn 99. Just hope they don't ruin it.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 6: If you were in charge of your favorite movie/tv franchise, what would do with it next?

Thanks, Crowley!

While I like to think that it'd be awesome, there's probably a fair chance that my decisions for the the Star Wars franchise would not be well received. Especially since we can't go back and undo what's already been done due to the way the question is worded.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Crowley!

I would take everything after Terminator 2 and toss it out of cannon to start with.

So we have Sarah Conner and John thinking that the threat is over and faced with having to come to terms with the consequences of that. (Sarah is a wanted criminal, and John has had one messed up childhood so neither of them is really going to be able to blend back in well with normal society.)

So their choices would be either to try and live invisibly in the streets, or take to the wilderness. 

I'd have a short one season series showing just how difficult this would be. (One of the things that irritates me about most most tv series is how they portray characters on the run having things far too easy. We live in a society were one needs an ID or credit card for everything and cameras are everywhere. Facial recognition has made useable fake ID impossible unless you've working for a government. One traffic stop and you're done.)

Now seeing as this would begin in 1992-93, before technology became so invasive they'd have it a bit easier in the beginning. At first they may stay in the city, John getting cash with his atm hacking, and Sarah not quite sure what to do next. But it wouldn't take long before a useable picture of John was taken by atm cameras and things get too hot for them to stay.

So the next logical thing would be for Sarah to look up some of her survivalist friends and try to stay with them. Which would work out in the short term, but someone trying to live under the radar isn't going to want folks with an apb out on them hanging around for very long. Both her friends and Sarah herself would realize that their best bet would be to intergrate into the militia movement. Sarah might not share their politics, but she does share their distrust of technology and the government. Also being a wanted criminal would actually work somewhat in her favor here as the militia would figure her far less likely to be a government infiltrator.

So the mid season would be her and John living in a compound, not agreeing with everything they see there, but able to live a somewhat comfortable life. Jon's training is able to extend to firearms, farming, and basic outdoor survival skills. There are also others around his own age that he befriends. Sarah is able to actually relax to a certain extent and finally come to terms with what she has made herself into and try and figure out a plan from there.

But of course all things have an end. The finale of the show would be what happens when the militia gets infiltrated by the government, and the mole convinces one of the less mentally stable members to embark on a terrorist attack. The plot is foiled, being a setup from the get go, but now the government has laid siege to the compound. During this Sarah while scanning the ranks of the atf agents with binoculars, sees a familiar face.

She shoots it, thinking it was yet another T-800.

It was only the human model for the T-800. (who is only wounded. But he is retired from field duty and later goes on to get a degree in robotics....)

The ensuing firefight is short and one sided. John and his friends lead the noncombatants thru a series of old mining shafts, emerging into a national park as Sarah and the others fight a desperate rearguard action. In the aftermath, one of the agents looks down at Sarah's body and we see his eye glow red...

This leads into my version of Terminator 3. John and the others are fleeing not only the government, but what they think is a T-800, but actually a T-1000. But Sky net was expecting to find it's prey in an urban environment, not dense woodland and it's tracking skills are not the best. The group manages to evade it long enough for it to lose them entirely. They eventually reach a small town on the opposite end of the park where they steal vehicles and supplies. One of the group knows of an abandoned gold rush town in the mountains and they make thier way there. Waiting for them is one of the people future John sent back. The robbery has also alerted the government and the T-1000 that the survivors of the siege are in that general area. The group is forced to evade helicopters with heat sensors, government patrols, etc. The Resistance member from the future tells them that while the T-1000 is almost unkillable, especially in an area where there isn't a vat of molten metal to hurl it into, the reason it never got put into mass production is because it's power source is extremely limited. If they can evade it for two weeks, it will go into an energy conserving hibernation mode, and send out a unique radio signal that will alert any other Sky Net creation of it's location. Converting a ham radio to receive that signal is simple and once they hear the beacon, John and the other risk making their way thru government lines and seize it. They then take it to a foundry in the next county and destroy it.  We also get to see in segments throughout the film that John is not the only target, and that they have infiltrated various universities and levels of government and are the driving force behind the technology dependent society we have today. We also see segments from the future, where John leads the Resistance, (many of whom are his friends from the compound) into Sky net central. We see him achieve what he thinks is victory, sending back Kyle Reese, the T-800 from T-2, and several more humans and reprogramed Terminators to various points. In doing so many in a short time frame, he burns out the machine, causing it to explode in a multicolored burst that engulfs him and his friends. Moments later he and the others find themselves in a very different version of 2029.

Sarah and John managed to prevent the nuclear war of 1997. But the future they created by doing so is in a way far worse. The emp blasts from the nukes destroyed all but shielded technology, and the bombs destroyed almost all of the advanced facilities and power grid that Sky Net needed to create it's Terminators, it even almost wiped out Sky Net itself. So the version of it future John fought was already vastly weakened although he didn't know it at the time.

Humanities insistence on pushing technology makes Sky Net inevitable. The version of 2029 he now finds himself in is one where humanity has pretty much let Sky Net take over. There are no jobs, the machines do all that and the majority of the population live as shut ins. There's a proto matrix that people enter willingly, signing themselves over as batteries for a lifetime of virtual paradise...(I always figured the Matrix was the continuation of the Terminator)

John is horrified not only that humans have become willing slaves to Sky Net, but also by the realization that it was his actions that allowed this to come to pass.

The roughest of drafts, but basically from here the theme would be inevitability, and unintended consequences resulting from what one thinks are good acts. I'd tie in a bit more realism and intertwine it with historical and current events. as well as have Sky Net not be pants on head stupid. (keep the humans in check thru their own virtual worlds, and as to those who won't submit, release a weaponized virus that the obedient humans in their pods won't be affected by...)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Hells Teeth, Lord of the Dish Pit! you've given that a bit of thought...

I'd wipe out the very poor attempt at filming "the Golden Compass" and put someone in charge who actually seems to have read the book.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Crowley!

I... don't know.

For as much of a Doctor Who fan I was when I was younger, I have to shamefully admit I haven't watched most of the new run of the series (I'm stuck somewhere in season 3).  The first thing I would need to do is to watch what's been done so far.

Edit: For another franchise I'd fond of... The next thing I would do with Blake's 7 is arrange a proper US release of the series.

Blake's 7 could do well with a modern remake but that might make the police state of the Federation even creepier.

Edited by Xiwo Xerase
  • Like 7

I'd pass a Universal law forbidding Peter Jackson from ever again touching anything I love. No, seriously. Then I'd give control of decision making for the upcoming Tolkien series to someone who was carefully vetted so as not to make it an abomination. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Crowley!

Nothing: I don't really watch TV other than baseball/softball/basketball; & I probably could skip them. 

The movies I loved from my hearing days I would leave alone out of respect for the makers & actors.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 6: If you were in charge of your favorite movie/tv franchise, what would you do with it next?

First, I would need to work out what my favorite franchises are.  :ik_oops:

Based on my actual ticket purchases, fave movie*** franchise has to be one of these: Star Trek, Star Wars, Narnia, or Potterverse.  Television is harder. I guess among what is currently being broadcast it is: NCIS

What I would do with NCIS is close out the New Orleans variant of the show. Special Agent Dwayne Pride (Scott Bakula) and his N’awlins accent are wearing a little thin for me (his portrayals of Captain Archer and Agent Pride have things in common, but not in a good way). If there must be a third show, maybe base it out of Japan, Alaska or the Philippines..? ...somewhere across an Ocean.  

@Glitterwolf

June 6: If you were in charge of your least favorite movie franchise, what would you do with it next?

My least favorite shows would be Coconut Race Island, Big Brother, Bachelorette, and Bachelor. I cannot believe how long they've survived.

***must continue pondering the business about what to do with a movie franchise. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

Thanks, Crowley!

Unknown how it would be pulled off, but a proper season 5/wrapup for Andromeda, not the rushed "we have run out of funding, eep!" last half of a season we got. 

• Like 8

On 6/3/2018 at 10:24 PM, Morihalda said:

June 4: Do you/can you display your geekiness at work? What do you have? Posters, Han Solo bobble head, figures that you have painted, etc?

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I am well know for having the most decorated office in the governmental building I work in. I have about 40-50 Pop Vinyl Figures from a whole range of genres (from Mr. Rogers, Marvel, Disney to Hannibal), an art deco Captain America poster, A "Do or Do Not, There is No Try" poster (complete with Yoda in a suit) and a large amount of comic strips I've clipped from the newspaper and taped to my wall. Th'at's just to start. 

I am not sure if I am really supposed to have all this, but no one has told me NOT to bring stuff in, and I figure other lawyers have like, sports memorabilia and the like, so I can have this.  

On 6/4/2018 at 11:41 PM, Morihalda said:

June 5: What's your favorite season? What do you like about it?

Spring! Baby animals are the cutest.

Thanks, Crowley!

MCU - I would make sure Captain America never dies as I am relatively certain they're gearing up to kill him off.

I would bring back Hannibal on tv. 

Sorry for the mulit-quotes, I've been sick and away from my Computer. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Take the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron books and make them into a TV series. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 6

On 6/4/2018 at 10:41 PM, Morihalda said:

June 5: What's your favorite season? What do you like about it?

Spring because I get really tired of the cold, short, energy sucking days of winter. Spring is great because the days are longer so I have more energy and all the flowers start blooming and everything looks alive again.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Crowley!

Control of the Star Wars franchise?! ::o::bday:

That's ripe for fanboy abuse. :devil:

Pretty much everyone agrees that the prequels are subpar. I wouldn't so much scrap them as remake them and try to keep the essence of the movies intact. So yes, JarJar would still exist, but would actually contribute to the story instead of being a comedy relief.

Oh, and less CGIs, more RL models.

• Like 10