Rob Dean

40mm Renaissance Reinforcements

As I posted the other day, I have been inspired to put in some work on my 40mm Renaissance project, for the first time in six years or so.

After doing the visual inventory, I concluded that what I most immediately needed was more pikemen.  So, digging through my bags of raw castings, I pulled out a dozen pikemen base figures and a few other near term wishes.  

I haven't done the metal work on these figures in a while, so I warmed up with a second need, putting together three figures to form a command stand for lighter infantry, and then went on to do four of the easier pike conversions.  The basic body is a halberdier, but it's very difficult to get the halter to cast properly, and, since I don't need it anyway, I realized a few years ago that I could insert a heavy wire into the mold in the hollow intended to become the halberd shaft, and pull it out (usually ::P:) once the casting was cool.  

That basically gives you two ring hands into which to insert a brass wire pike.  I have a small stash of 1/16" brass "curling wire" in 12" lengths, so it made sense to use 4" pikes and get three from a wire.

IMG_2107.thumb.JPG.f842495fff6b4618f8f1deee9b07a01c.JPG

I had a brief opportunity to work on two of the pikemen at lunch one day this week, and more or less finished one:

IMG_2809.thumb.jpg.908ecca2508f4c16cb5dbaf10df48ed2.jpg

IMG_2810.thumb.jpg.e8621d8fac91234766df790bce809bbb.jpg

I used a deliberately toy-like style when I painted the bulk of the figures twenty years ago, and I am not sure that I can match it.  Nevertheless, I am going with a similar look this time, with some deliberately heavy black-lining.  As one can see from the inventory picture, in actual play the figures end up giving an impressionistic effect, so there's not a lot of point in worrying too much about any single figure.  

• Like 8

2DEB2839-2987-4E62-9707-8CF69CE0A479.thumb.jpeg.0aaaa5d66cf1489614a03d150c1af5d4.jpeg

ED7554A9-AD10-474A-A7B9-E8056F470A21.thumb.jpeg.a8bb0be1cd4423fb0f9bf1932e66e390.jpeg

Ok, since I have other things to do today, I am procrastinating productively, and have the pikes ready for basing. 

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 8

I have been having a couple of rough and hectic weeks at work, so I hadn't picked up a brush in a couple of weeks.  I finally got an hour or so earlier this week to get back to the next group of these Renaissance guys.  These three will be a command stand for my swordsmen in our home-rules game.  I started with the officer, who is supposed to be wearing a buff coat (leather) in yellow-brown.  It's still a little more yellow than I like, probably due to the fact that I was painting with my travel kit and mixing things from just a few colors. My historical fashion sense suggests that he's really sculpted to be from around 1580, give or take, so I put stripes on the pants to pass him up a bit among the earlier (1520-ish) landsknechts.  (Did I mention this is a "toy" project, so we make do with what we can get...?)

Cuffs and collar will eventually be layered up in white, so that there is more of a contrast with the coat, and the sash will eventually be red.  

IMG_2840.thumb.JPG.8e1799b09bdc8c480e5c1eb9a778e806.JPG

IMG_2839.thumb.JPG.321588ecd6021fff0bd8ceb894ad9869.JPG

• Like 6

62B2E135-6750-4E64-AAEE-5AACD7795A70.thumb.jpeg.6b11cdaec2fcfef9282ceb8b84ce568a.jpeg

D60964A3-97A0-497A-99BD-728FC690B7CE.thumb.jpeg.ee205f135e7fc33eb7b66b7c38a955fa.jpeg

After a hiatus of several weeks during which I haven’t picked up a brush, I decided to relax last night and knock out a “nice toy” paint job on another one of the Renaissance reinforcements. That’s two down and one to go on the command stand, and only a little more than a month. :unsure: This should have been a job of a few hours, but some weeks anything is better than nothing...

• Like 5