Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This was my very first commission! One of MrBoot's coworkers was wanting a painted figure for gaming purposes, and my husband volunteered my services, for a small fee. I was more than happy to oblige.
This was a (for me) fairly quick and dirty paint job. I spent maybe 4 hours total on it, with the first hour spent just prepping (washing, drying, trimming mold lines, priming, waiting for primer to dry, etc.) My goal was "decent tabletop" since it was intended for gaming, and the guy only gave me $15 for the mini+paint job. I did email him pictures of a couple of my other quick paint jobs to let him know what to expect before I started, and he said that he was happy with that level of detail.
I'm happy with my color choices, and I at least made an attempt at highlighting, so while it's rough in these close-up pictures, it doesn't look half bad at arm's length. I wish I'd taken a close-up of his face, though; since it's so shaded by his hood, and won't even be visible on a gaming board, I didn't bother painting an actual face face. It's more of an impressionistic shaded blobs sort of face, but it looks surprisingly decent from even a short distance.
You might notice some bubbling here and there, and that's because I did a gloss sealer coat (Reaper) for durability, followed by Brush-on Sealer to make it look nicer. I've done very little with gloss sealer, and didn't discover that it bubbles a bit more than the brush-on until it was too late. It's not super obvious unless you stare at it closely, though.
I also want to note that gloss sealer is...super duper glossy. Like, seriously.
In fact, I was worried that the brush-on sealer wouldn't be able to tone it down, but a slightly thinned coat (with two coats in a few still-shiny spots) did the trick far better than I'd expected!
Overall, I'm quite pleased with how he turned out. He was a very fun sculpt to paint, and I enjoyed employing a "good enough, git 'er done" mindset.
Main colors used
(since I was focused on going fast, I didn't do my usual "take notes as I go", so I'm recreating this from memory + the bunch of paint bottles still on my desk)
Robe: Ritterlich blue, Ultramarine blue, Ultramarine highlight
Cloak: Rich green, Christmas wreath, either Leaf green or Grass green
Skin: Leather brown, Elf flesh, Caucasian flesh
Various leathers and woods: Mahogany brown, Oiled leather, Golden blonde?
Boots: Brown liner, Dark elf highlight
Hair: Coal black, Powderburn brown, Golden blonde
Arrow fletching and gems: Carrot top red, Lava orange, Explosion orange
Various metallic objects: Tarnished steel, Ancient bronze, Dragon bronze
Ground: Drybrush of: Highland moss, Pale lichen, then either Leaf green or Grass green
I admit to being rather astonished at just how many paint bottles I used on this one simple project, but in my defense, since this was my very first commission, I wanted it to look at least somewhat nice (in the hopes that others in his gaming group might be interested in the future ). Plus, I really had a whole lot of fun painting this guy. I looooove Bobby Jackson's sculpts, he always has so many fun details to play with, without being exceptionally fiddly.
After it was delivered, MrBoot reported that the recipient was very pleased with how it turned out, and was "super surprised at all of the details" I'd painted on it. Apparently, he's used to prepaints. We actually ran into him at the grocery store a week later, and he again expressed how much he liked it, and how detailed it was, and that other people in his group might be interested in getting painted minis for themselves!
I've been wanting to paint these Bones Rats ever since I saw the reference picture for them like a year ago.
The other day I finally sat down and did it! (All in one sitting to boot!)
(Also pictured: 77054: Galladon, Male Wizard and 77049: Arthrand Nightblade, Elf Ranger, of whom I may do their own topic, as their my first mini's of 2016, and I'm quite happy with them! BUT I had more fun playing with the Rats!!)
Since I did it all in one night, there was no point in a WIP topic, so if you wanted to see the WIP, click on the Spoiler:
And on to the finished rats!
We have some Albino rats, some black rats, some plain brown ones, and even some infected rats! Much of the basic style goes once again to the reference image from the Reaper store page.
I feel they turned out pretty well!
Normally for my tabletop playable miniatures, I'll finish them in a gloss varnish, then go over that with a matte varnish, to give them the best blend of protection and finished style. In this instance however, I opted to just go with a single coat of the matte (brushed on via Liquitex Matte). I know, not as protective, but it should do the trick. Plus even the first coat on 12 rats was surprisingly tricky. I'm glad I'm not a Warhammer player, I do not envy having to paint whole armies!
Anyway, time for some fun!
And thats the rats!
Who's Online 28 Members, 3 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)