Jump to content

Steven Page

Legends of Taltos:Crusaders

Recommended Posts

Rai's glowing bluish green eyes look suspiciously at Ben and George at first, then smiling to them both she says, "I will need to pack, though it shan't take me long. Let us all meet at the front gate in about an hour's time. Can you be ready by then?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
“I will go.... if only to serve you my lady.” he said and lowered his head.

At this comment Licia raises her eyebrows and a slight smile twitches at her mouth, but she has no time to respond before Halberd calls for quiet and sets the assignments. And the she turns only to hear the monks parting words as he hurries off to the quarter master. Shaking her head, 'This is going to be long assignment I think." she mutters to herself as she watches the monk leave. Still shaking her head, she turns her attention to Roman, "From Halberd words I take it you are our designated leader. I am Licia trained by Asdir who was once a Sister of the Blade before retiring. After we get our equipment where do you wish to meet?"

Edited by Lady Tam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, I always travel light; you never know when a quick exit is going to be necessary," Ben says with a wry smile. "An hour should be more than sufficient for me. Is there anything that I can do for you to help us on our journey?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rai gives a crooked smile when Ben mentions a quick exit remembering his grand entrance. "I request only your protection and guidance," she says answering his question quickly as she starts to depart from the group. She turns back, "I shall meet you in one hour," then continues her exit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corwight glances around for his companions. "Right Right. My sword hungers to be buried in the putrid flesh of the rotting dead!" He pulls his longsword out of its sheath and thrusts it boldly into the air. "We shall return victorious! Evil has no defence against the true of heart!" Resheathing his sword and scowling at the gaping onlookers he whispers to his stalwart companions. "Nothing's more rousing than a graveyard full of walking dead. Its just so incredibly gothic I can barely contain myself. Who knows, there may even be a witch or two lurking about.!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Halbarad!"

Erik stands up as he addresses the priest. He doesn't need to stand to be seen, but does so anyway. His full height is noticable in and of itself, but what draws eyes is the incongruity of his appearance. His arms, though muscular, seem too long for his body. His hands, large for even one as tall as he, are scarred and gnarled from years of hard labor. Shoulder length hair, normally tucked behind rather prominent ears, has fallen forward to partially obscure his face. Combing it back with his fingers, his face is weathered and pock-marked. Creases already show from his eyes and brow; odd for one not yet twenty years.

He continues speaking, "I would be pleased to help as I can with any of the three tasks."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the quartermaster

 

“Everything you need will be provided for as ordered by Lord Halbarad” the quartermaster said.

 

“That's good” Kaba replied absentmindedly as he scanned through the equipments available. He was in fact thinking about his new companions. The male ones are decent if not very bright, they'll be OK in a fight but that's it. He liked the Paladin, the way he was so full of himself made him smile.

 

“This is a list of everything I need, please pack them on the pony and meet us at the gate in a hour time” he requested. And Licia, the way she just stared at him with her nose when he left.

 

“This is going to be an interesting assignment I think” he thought out loud and smiled. The quartermaster made no sign of hearing him.

 

“I'll also take three quivers of arrows, a longbow and Iength of silk rope if you have any” he added. “Have the Ivy Archers ready themselves. I do not know how many they are but they shall prove to be useful”

 

“Yes my Lord.” the quartermaster replied politely. To himself, he added “Are monks supposed walk around as they own the place?”

 

"What were you saying?" kaba said as he came back into the room.

 

"Nothing my Lord, nothing" the quartermaster replied hurriedly. "My Lord needs something else?"

 

"Yeah, can I have a light crossbow instead of this longbow?"

 

 

----------------------------------------------

 

EDIT: Monks are not proficient with bow!! arggg

OCC:

I'm getting some equipments to help the villagers

 

On Kaba

 

Light crossbow (3x) bolts (20), silk rope.

 

On pack pony

 

Grappling Hook (x2)

Rope, Hempen (x2)

Artisan's tools

Lantern (hooded)

Lantern (bullseye)

Rations (x10)

Shovel (x3)

10 food ladder

Shorbow (x10)

Arrows (20) (x10)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Aeolene, take Corwight,Erik, and four Ivy Crown archer to the cemetary....Re-intere those who have been disturb, reconsecrate the grounds, and bring back the head of the Necromancer responsible..."He leans heavily on the podium. "By All that is Holy, I hate Necromancers....."

 

Nodding as his name is called, Erik begins scan the assembly for Aeolene and Corwight. He then makes his way to Aeolene, and stands close enough to show that he would like to speak with her, but far enough away to not intrude on her current conversation.

 

Fidgetting and looking embarassed for no good reason, Erik waits until Aeolene acknowledges him before speaking in slow measured tones. "Pardon ma'am, but I've not had reason to speak to you before this. I'm Erik Firebaugh, and pleased to be going with you."

 

He pauses uncomfortably for a moment and then continues, "I'm not much good with people, but I'm pretty handy with a sword or hammer."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Then you are plenty good enough for my company, Erik," the priestess responds with grace. "Sword and hammer will both be needed in the graveyard as skeletons are best crushed and broken when animated, but zombies are still vulnerable to cleaving and piercing."

 

It is impossible for the Firebaugh not to notice Aeolene's beauty and polite diplomacy. With her impossible-to-miss height - and startling burnt hair and bright scar - she is already known by sight to all at the citadel, but the Empress's Priestess and Erik have yet to earn each other's friendship.

 

"I look forward to making your companionship, Goodman. I can't tell you how much I look forward to working with one who can stand toe-to-toe with a foe. For myself, I am much more accustomed to the Wind Empress carrying my arrows to the enemy than I am carrying my own spear forward. The bravery and skill you must possess are to be much admired." Aeolene smiles at the fighter, then with another thought speaks again: "I rarely ride, but I was thinking of requesting a packhorse. Do you have need of anything from the quarter-master? Perhaps you could accompany me on a simple trip to requisition equipment and an animal for the journey?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Then you are plenty good enough for my company, Erik," the priestess responds with grace."

"I look forward to making your companionship, Goodman. I can't tell you how much I look forward to working with one who can stand toe-to-toe with a foe. For myself, I am much more accustomed to the Wind Empress carrying my arrows to the enemy than I am carrying my own spear forward. The bravery and skill you must possess are to be much admired."

A flush begins to creep up Erik's neck at the kind words. "Th....Th...uh, thank you, ma'am, err, umm...."

 

"What do I call her?" he thinks bewildered. "Duke Gerard is 'Your Grace' I know tha' much. Halbarad is 'Priest' or 'Father', but how in the world do I talk to a priestess of........which was it?" "Bah!"

 

Words that he is more familiar with, preparation and supply, pull him from his reverie.

 

"I rarely ride, but I was thinking of requesting a packhorse. Do you have need of anything from the quarter-master? Perhaps you could accompany me on a simple trip to requisition equipment and an animal for the journey?"

 

"Oh, aye. I'll be needing some gear also. I'm thinking we'll need at least a shovel and pick. I'd prefer to ride, though I can walk if need be."

 

"Uh, Priestess?"

That seems like a safe enough title. "How do I properly address a priestess of the Empress?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aeolene laughs at Erik's question, but with the inherent charisma she has already shown in such abundance, the laugh is reassuring instead of mocking, provoking if anything the idea that merely asking for a term of address is a compliment to which she is unfamiliar.

 

But as the chiming, reassuring tones of her laughter fade, she answers the question with the same seriousness it was posed: "There is little rank among those devoted to Aeolo Sierra. The truly great among us are called High Priest or addressed as 'Your Grace,' but I am not one of those. All the rest of us feel honored to be titled 'Wanderer' on rare occasions when such is necessary, although here among the Chroniclers most call us Sister or Brother since Aeolo Sierra does not call us to settle anywhere long enough to establish church, abbey or monastery.

 

"I appreciate your respect, friend Erik, but do not trouble yourself over-much about niceties. We'll be travelling on the roads of War together. I can tell by your stance and reputation that you already know even generals set only so much store in the dances of Privilege and Position when on the campaign. You may always call me Aeolene, Sister Aeolene if you must, and I will never find you anything but most polite.

 

"But tell me, as we are discussing names, how did you earn the name of 'Firebaugh'? It seems a name with a history of daring to my ears?"

 

And so the Wanderer in service to the Great Wander, Aeolo Sierra, attempts to steer the conversation and ease her fellow traveler as the two make way to the office of the quartermaster. She questions the quartermaster on the priority set on speed in this mission by His Grace. If the priority is enough to provide mounts for all in her party, she will seek one for herself as well so as not to slow the squad. But if any of the archers or Volunteers will be going afoot, so shall she.

 

With the question of mounts settled, she proceeds to ask for a few potions necessary on occasion to heal those in great danger. Other than this, she provisions herself only with tools and provisions one would expect to take on a scout of a border where skirmishes are neither uncommon, nor predictable.

 

Erik she watches casually, so as not to increase his bout of nerves, to see if he only stammers in the presence of those called to holy service or imbued with high office...or if his nerves apply to all situations in which he must make speech with another.

 

In the worst case, should the Firebaugh need assistance in communication, Aeolene plays the diplomat by clarifying any difficult-to-understand requests, replies or general stammers with her own words volunteered as if the supply officer were merely unlikely to hear her fellow Volunteer because of the general hubub to be found in such a large citadel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kaba was still talking to one of the supply clerk when a towering figure of a woman entered. Not one to miss an opportunity to make an impression, he smoothed the imaginary hair on his bald head and approached the group.

 

“Ah my lady Wanderer, I had hoped for a chance to make your acquaintance” he said in a cheerful tone. “Far and wide have I heard the exploits of the brother and sisterhood of Aeolo Sierra. Aye, far and wide has the Wind brought me news of your beauty. But today, I realize there are merely echoes to what I see now.” He flourished his big silly hat and bowed low. “I am humbled. It is regrettable we won't have the chance to travel together." he said while trying to stand on his toes.

 

“And you young man, you must be Erik Firebaugh if I'm not mistaken. A strong name." he said to Erik.

 

"Incidentally, have you seen my group? A paladin, a lady fighter and an elf?" he added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amidst the confusion of preparations, order begins to take place. Stout ponies are led out for the accompanying archers, and some are loaded with supplies by the common soldiers. Solid riding horses, more suited to the plow than the charge, are brought forth for the armored members of the party.

Bootknife Ben is seen scurrying about throught the huts and hovels outside the Spire. He emeges from one shop with a new lenght of rope; from another admiring a new set his trade's signature tools; and then disapeers into an herbalist's shop, and remains a while.....

After introducing himself to the elderly woman who owns the shop, he requests several vials of aconite, a powerful poison. She hums to herself as she takes an old rag and begins sweeping dust of of bottles. "Spme of the dust", he thinks to himself, "probably has been here longer than she has". Finally she locates and places before him four small bottles.

"You are going somewhere dangerous" she says in a small cracked voice. It is not a question. "Perhaps you can do me a service?"

She then hands Ben a lists of components she need for her potions."I'm not young anymore, and don't travel well. Bring back as much as you can from this list, and we will discuss the price of your purchases......."

 

BEN MUST DECIDE WHETHER TO TAKE UP THE DEAL, OR OFFER CASH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
She then hands Ben a lists of components she need for her potions."I'm not young anymore, and don't travel well. Bring back as much as you can from this list, and we will discuss the price of your purchases......."

 

BEN MUST DECIDE WHETHER TO TAKE UP THE DEAL, OR OFFER CASH.

Always on the lookout for a good deal, Ben takes a quick glance at the list. Seeing several items that he recognizes immediately (along with a number of items that he is a bit unsure of) he tells the herbalist that he will make his best effort to recover what he can on the list in exchange for her services. "However, madame, I am on a mission of utmost importance to Taltos and time is of the essence. I will be returning soon."

 

Ben then makes his way to the gates. With so few preparations to make, he makes the gate well before any of the other members of his party. He also does not see any of the other volunteers present. Taking advatage of his early arrival, Ben uses the opportunity to conceal himself among a small group of vendors carts in order to observe the arrival of the others and to see how things play out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Licia returns to her sleeping quarters to grab her few belongings. Packing quicly she makes her way to the gather point to pick a mount for herself. She begins to busy herself looking over the mounts available. Thinking about the other members of the party, she quickly chooses two sturdy mounts, one for Roman and one for Joe, know ing that they will need stronger mounts for thier size and armor alone. For Kaba, the elf and herself she tries to find slightly smaller mounts, her practice eye looking for soundness and spped amounst the choices. Good thing I spent all that time with Lindy in the stables learning about horses. She thinks back fondly of her older brother who was in charge of her father's stables at the Inn. He'd be shocked to see me know! But I prefer this life than being married to someon like that Stoddard boy father wanted me to marry! Finally happy with the mounts she picked she leads the four horses away from the others to a clear spot where the rest of the party will be able to see them and her. While she waits she goes over her supplies that she already had on hand, and as she does so nibbles on the end of her long ash blonde braid.

Edited by Lady Tam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×