Steven Page

Legends of Taltos:Crusaders

Once he is done coughing, Malachias smiles back at the dwarf. "Janara here has a wonderfully uncomplicated view of life. She makes me reconsider phrases I've heard all my life. I've never spit a rat, but I don't think I could spit one very far, unless it means to spit a rat with a stake, in which case I should never trust Freen farther than a bowshot..."

He shakes his head in a clearing-the-cobwebs sort of way. "By the spire, I'm hungry."

Janara stops and considers Malachias' question for quite some time oblivious to what the archer and the dwarf are discussing.

"I don't remember spittin' rats, but Sister Alma musta told ev'rybody she ever met I tried to bite a donkey when I was a liddle girl."

She looks at both man and dwarf, puzzled.

"What's so funny?"

"We're going to have to watch our Ps and Qs, m'lady." Ben murmers from his position. "At least Freen is beginning to show some kind of value."

Erik follows Khow-loon as they maek their way through the crowd. Remembering his own incredulity not so long ago, he enjoys his companions reactions to the Reptus city.

Turning to the others, "You guys should try the noodles and soup, they're very good." He smiles and laughs, "I don't think I'll ever forget my first bowl!"

"So long as the dog minds his cues and pees as well..." quips Malachias, before detouring to purchase food himself.

Janara pauses, grins slightly, tries to supress the grin, but soon chokes on a fit of laughter.

"Don't worry 'bout my li'l doggy, Mal.", says Janara amidst giggles. "Nokhai likes trees best, but since there ain't none here, Lord Freen'll hafta do.".

Janara is still amazed at the size of her dog, who is by now almost big enough to serve as a pony for Bhogmur. The boy seemed much more preoccupied with his new pet fish though, which seemed to be making the dog jealous.

"I s'pose he's hungry too.", Janara observes, though the dog wanted nothing to do with the rat she offered him earlier. "That Freen's better off bein' took for a skinny tree than for a side of beef!"

Turning to the others, "You guys should try the noodles and soup, they're very good." He smiles and laughs, "I don't think I'll ever forget my first bowl!"

"I'll pay for your bowl if you tell me how it tastes.", Janara tells Malachias.

"I could eat, but something tells me I should ask, good Sir Erik, exactly what was your first bowl like?" Aridwyn asks lightly. "I don't mind being dared to eat odd things, I just like knowing what I'm getting into upfront." In truth she is hungry enough to slurp down a bowl even without Erik's explanation, but she does not wish to offend their hosts by spilling soup on herself or worse, spitting it out.

"Noodles and soup? I was hoping for beer and mutton, but if that's what they serve around here, it will be eaten." Even with the cheese and apple in his stomach, Rune is also as ravenously hungry as the others.

As the group gathers at the kiosk of a soup vendor, Janara watches Freen's reaction as he eats his own noodles. His normally pale face goes bright red and tears well up in his eyes.

"What's wrong with it?", Janara asks him, but he only tries to reassure her that the soup does not contain any "unclean animals". Knowing that a proper dinner awaits, and knowing that as long as Nokhai is around no food will go to waste, Janara makes her selection as Khow-Loon translates.

"I'd like some of what Lord Marcus Freen's havin', an' Lord Freen sez he'll pay for mine..an' his...an' his too". As she speaks she points to Malachias and the little orc who keeps tugging on her sleeve and asking for "sup".

Upon being served, Janara takes a cautious sniff of the contents of the bowl. It seems to be the same scent that she has been smelling all day, only much stronger. She looks again at Freen, her half-orc pride not allowing her to back away from food that is apparently still mild enough for a skinny human like Marcus Freen.

She sips, then chokes, then coughs. The broth around her noodles burns all the way down with an intensity that even surpasses the stuff Joe had been drinking back at the Sceptre the night Janara met him. Her ears go hot and her eyes water. She tries to warn Bhogmur, but it is too late.

Even before Malachias has been served, Bhogmur tries to sip from the bowl given to him and succeeds in getting the peppery broth up his nose. She had never heard the boy sneeze before, and had never heard any being sneeze so loudly and violently.

The broth that she had swallowed continues to burn as it settles in her stomach, so she reaches for what she thinks is a small porcelain cup full of water. She drinks the entire shot of rice wine in one gulp, realizeing her mistake the moment it hits her lips but not daring to spit it back out in front of the vendor. Bhogmur continues sneezing so fitfully that he spills his own bowl and almost stumbles right into the vendor's wobbly table.

"Water? .. tea? ... PLEASE?", she begs Khow-loon as tears roll down her cheek and a long stream of something unpleasant dribbles from her nose.

As the group gathers at the kiosk of a soup vendor, Janara watches Freen's reaction as he eats his own noodles. His normally pale face goes bright red and tears well up in his eyes.

"What's wrong with it?", Janara asks him, but he only tries to reassure her that the soup does not contain any "unclean animals". Knowing that a proper dinner awaits, and knowing that as long as Nokhai is around no food will go to waste, Janara makes her selection as Khow-Loon translates.

"I'd like some of what Lord Marcus Freen's havin', an' Lord Freen sez he'll pay for mine..an' his...an' his too". As she speaks she points to Malachias and the little orc who keeps tugging on her sleeve and asking for "sup".

Upon being served, Janara takes a cautious sniff of the contents of the bowl. It seems to be the same scent that she has been smelling all day, only much stronger. She looks again at Freen, her half-orc pride not allowing her to back away from food that is apparently still mild enough for a skinny human like Marcus Freen.

She sips, then chokes, then coughs. The broth around her noodles burns all the way down with an intensity that even surpasses the stuff Joe had been drinking back at the Sceptre the night Janara met him. Her ears go hot and her eyes water. She tries to warn Bhogmur, but it is too late.

Even before Malachias has been served, Bhogmur tries to sip from the bowl given to him and succeeds in getting the peppery broth up his nose. She had never heard the boy sneeze before, and had never heard any being sneeze so loudly and violently.

The broth that she had swallowed continues to burn as it settles in her stomach, so she reaches for what she thinks is a small porcelain cup full of water. She drinks the entire shot of rice wine in one gulp, realizeing her mistake the moment it hits her lips but not daring to spit it back out in front of the vendor. Bhogmur continues sneezing so fitfully that he spills his own bowl and almost stumbles right into the vendor's wobbly table.

"Water? .. tea? ... PLEASE?", she begs Khow-loon as tears roll down her cheek and a long stream of something unpleasant dribbles from her nose.

Quickly, Erik offers Janara his own waterskin. Anxiety and shame for causing his friends obvious distress hits him. "I'm sorry, Janara. I turned to talk to Khow-loon, and didnt' see you get that. I didn't mean for you to drink it." He offers the skin to Bhogmur also.

"Sorry, guys. I was trying to be funny, not make you choke on it. They must think that each noodle needs its own pepper!"

Ben chuckles heartily at the antics of Janara and Boggy. "Well, so much for following protocol!" He says to the others.

joe helps Janara find a place to sit and recover, before going back to get two bowls for himself. He drinks them quickly, smiles broadly, and returns the bowls. He finishes his brief lunch with a handful of radishes.

Looking at Mal, he asks, "Ya gonna eat your soup, or save it for later?"

Two Reptus in orange robes approach Bhogmur, bowing deeply. They offer him water, and look with interest at his fish.

Malachias raises the bowl in toast to the hafforc, and downs it quickly. No matter what color he turns, he (attempts to) remain smiling politely and give no sign of his hopes to ever feel his esophagus again.

When Janara and Bhogmur begin to wheeze, Aridwyn steps out of the line for soup. Silently thanking any gods who might happen to be listening that she was slow to eat, she goes in search of bread to soothe their overspiced stomachs.

Janara thanks Erik for the water, though she drinks less than she wants out of consideration for the next person who dares to eat the spicy noodles. Wiping her eyes and nose with her sleeve, she allows Joe to give her a little extra attention, though she wishes the circumstances were different. Nibbling on the wedge of cheese given to her by Rune, she sits and watches Joe toss two bowls of noodles down his throat as though they were Sister Margaret's milktoast. Her feelings of inadequacy as a half-orc are only compounded by Malachias, who finishes his noodles with surprisingly little effect considering how close to death he had been two days ago.

"Want some cheese?", she asks Bhogmur, though he does not seem to hear her amidst the group of orange-robed reptii that have gathered around him to see his fish. They do not appear angry and in fact offer Bhogmur some water, so she presumes that the boy had not violated any reptus customs or poaching laws by taking the fish as his pet.

She stands and casually makes her way closer, stopping just short of accidentally stepping on a reptilian tail. While Aridwyn goes looking for milder food, Janara listens to hear what, if anything, Bhogmur tells the onlookers.