Legends of Taltos:Crusaders

Steven Page

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Halbarad places a firm hand on the squire-at-arms shoulder. "You have proven your arm and your spirit. Prepare your self for the ceremony, tomorrow at dawn....

in the chapel.....NOW, for the rest of you...we will strike at the two Darkspawn enclaves in three days time. Justicar Broderick will lead the raid to the west, Roman will lead the eastern group. ....I am still finalizing the assignments of others."

When Halbarad finished speaking, Janara tapped Malachias on the shoulder, wanting to continue the conversation.

(earlier, before Halbarad began speaking, Malachias said)

"Sorry, not really, I'm more a meat and potatos type of person..."

--

"Uh, why do you ask?"

Malachias seemed to have a real look of one who had just been caught off-guard now, and Janara suspected him now more than ever.

"Oh.. about the flowers, I was just makin' polite chit-chat. So are ya a punkins kind of person? I like punkins, and flowers too."

She then remembered what it was that Malachias had originally said, and added, "If ya still wanna ask that question, I got plenny of time."

Ben is extremely happy for his brave friend. As the two women go up to congratulate him though, Ben decides that it would be better to congratulate him after the ceremony (and hopefully give Rai some time to cool of in the meantime) and instead decides to take his customary role of fading into the background.

As Halabrad turns and walks away, George seems to be in a state of shock. He knows something has happened, but a sudden buildup of fuzz surrounds his head and he cannot quite penetrate it to the knowledge he seeks.

He's still kneeling down when he senses Rai and Jasmine approaching. Despite the fuzz in his head, he manages to stand properly, but only manages to mumble something incoherant.

George is still dumbstruck when Roman congratulates him. "Erm, what ceremony? Why do I have to go to the chapel?"

Roman's choice of words suddenly strikes George, like a mace in the chest. "I'm being knighted?" He can hardly believe it as he says it himself, it only barely sunk in yet.

He's standing within a group of Crusaders, brother in arms, and he suddenly realises something. He leans close to Roman, and whispers. "What is involved in the ceremony? I've yearned for it all my life, but never really understood what it entails."

"Devotion."

"I know not exactly how the details of the ceremony unfold here at the Spire, but the Empress also knights those called to her service as warrior/protectors, and the core of the service is always Devotion...

Devotions to your deserving lord, calling his attention to the Ceremony. Of course, it is easier and more appropriate to call his attention to the chapel, and that is why the ceremony will be there.

But then, devotions to you, George. As a recognition of the devotion you have shown for years, your friends, your church, and the Power who watches over you all devote a moment to you.

I do not know you as well as some here, but it seems likely that you will be less than familiar with the attention you are to receive. Remember that those who Tend the Fires of Aurellius' Light have found you worthy... Do not allow your modesty to render the moment common out of fear of Divine attention. Those who know you best know you will not be judged poorly standing in His light.

"Be Happy, George. Let the ceremony be tended to by the priests!"

After stepping back from George and the center of attention, she once again is next to Erik of the Forge: "It will be a happy day to attend the devotions for him, won't it?"

"But I look forward even more to the day when you are knighted, Erik."

Having arrived late Licia stayed close to the door throughout Hlabard's speach. Hmmm, hopefully the groups will stay close to the same. Better to work with people we have wroked in the past. After hearing what was siad, she smiles at George good fortune, but rather than join the crowd around the young man she turnson heel and heads back to the Salle and Morena. The Sister of the Blade had been working with her on tracking skill when the message had come from Halbarad. She like the other Sister's had been very forthcoming in helping her with her training, and it was showing. She walked with greater ease and bearing the weight of her weapon hanging easily at her sides. Morena will be interested in hearing this...it will give me some 'real experience' at what she has been teaching me, which will be good. Licia thoughts think ahead at what they may or may not encoutner when they head out in three days Perhaps by the time I get back Morena will have had time to petition for me to join the Sisters like she was talking about. That would be very good. But better not count my eggs before they hatch as Mamma aways said. So for now, focus on what is at hand and not worry about what may happen.

LT

"Aye, George, Aeolene is right. Do not worry about the ceremony. I was never given an official one, for I was inducted into Aurellius' service on the battlefield, but I have attended quite a few. Just do as you're instructed when the time comes, and you will be fine. Most find that deep meditation and prayer the night before helps calm their nerves. Mayhap you should do so."

He smiles again. "Aeolene is right about another thing, too. Never let thoughts that you are unworthy pass your mind. Halbarad himself has announced your worthiness. He is the finest judge of character in this world, except maybe Duke Gerrard. Humility is a fine charasteristic, one which you embody quite well, but too much humility can lead to indecisiveness in times of action. Never doubt yourself, George. You are responsible for defending those who can't defend themselves. Always trust in Aurellius. He will guide you when you are lost."

Not knowing the man who is to be knighted personally, Janara offered him a simple but sincere congratulation and wished him good-luck. People just didn't get knighted every day, and in spite of her own experience with Corwight, not all knights were such bad people.

Still her two questions were unanswered. Would she still be welcomed to be a part of the upcoming purging of darkspawn that Halbarad spoke of, and just who was sending those gifts.

With a quick and hopefully discreet word to Malachias to look for her on his way out, she left the room.

George turns to Aeolene and Roman. "Thank you both for your kind words. I shall strive to live up to the confidence you have shown me." George's heart and head are once again in synch again, and he has regained the ability to think straight. "You are right Roman, I should pray to the Father, ask His guidance in the days ahead. I should head over to the chapel right now."

George makes to leave, but notices that Ben is nowhere to be found. He cranes his neck somewhat to try and see over the gathered Crusaders, but he cannot see the whily young rogue. The fact that Rai and Jasmine are still in the gathering is also somewhat confounding to the young soon-to-be-knight.

Waiting until George's close friends have finished their congratulations, Erik then steps up to the knight-to-be. "Well done!" Erik offers him a firm handshake, and then steps back, obviously uncomfortable among those he doesn' t know well.

Just those few words bring a flush to his face.

After stepping back from George and the center of attention, she once again is next to Erik of the Forge: "It will be a happy day to attend the devotions for him, won't it?"

"But I look forward even more to the day when you are knighted, Erik."

"Huh!?!?" Erik looks at Aeolene strangely. His face flushes even more red. His mouth opens, then shuts, and finally opens again before he speaks. "Was it anyone else, I'd think you were funnin' with me. I've not set my hopes on that ever happening."

His eyes narrow a bit, "And I'm not so sure I'd ever want to be." A bit of cynicism creeps into his voice. "I'd have to quit the few friends I have, except you of course. Priests and priestesses are ok for knights to associate with. I'd have to start ordering everyone around. I'd have to have servants help me get dressed. I'd have to start creating a lot of mess for other people to clean up, instead of just taking care of myself."

Just now realizing that he had got a bit worked up, Erik looks around self-consciously. "Sorry," he mutters to Aeolene. "I just get carried away sometimes. He ponders for a moment. Truth be told, I was surprised they ever let me take my oath as a Crusader. Duke Gerard now, he's different. Roman, too. And Corwight I suppose. They're paladins, called to be knights by Aurellius."

"George seems like a good enough fellow, time will tell though."

Erik chuckles to Aeolene, "Besides, I'm not pretty enough to be a knight!"