Legends of Taltos:Crusaders

Steven Page

Seeing that it was still clutching a towsack full of edibles, she offered her new friend something from it.

"Good to meet'cha, Ardwen Starwater. Want some fruit?" Passing the bag of food to Aridwyn and her half-eaten apple to her freed-up left hand, she gave the elf a gentle though sticky handshake.

Wishing neither to offend Janara by refusing her offer nor take food from those who needed it more, Aridwyn compromised and selected the smallest apple she saw. She thanked Janara as she returned her sticky handshake and decided not to correct Janara's version of her name. It didn't seem polite.

"Me an' Fin met a coupla weeks ago when we all come back from the crusades. Well I wasn't really with the crusades, but we all kinda was together. Fin an' Joe was part of Roman's group. Fin's a funny kid. He thinks the revens are fish. Joe's his only friend I think. What'cha looking for Fin for anyway? Is he lost?"

Aridwyn had expected the question, but she still froze for an instant. She didn't want to start out her time with the Crusaders with a lie, especially in a holy place. She settled on telling most of the truth. "No, but when the Council of Elders decided to send me here, they told me to look for him, since he had been sent here already. Perhaps we can be of greater service to you together." There. That was most of the truth. The little she had omitted would be explained in time.

His eyes wander to Aridwen. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Yeoman Malachias. Ken and I helped Janara hate her some necromancer in our last mission."

"An honor to meet you. I am Aridwyn Starwarder, ranger of Almirithil. If your duke assents, I will join you and your archers to hunt down the foul Darkspawn. Janara's explained their attack; is there anything else we need to know before we set out?"

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon hearing the muffled, but unmistakable tones of his friend, George quickly helps Ben with unloading, placing each item on the floor some way back from his post.

Once that's done, he flashes Ben a smile and returns to his post. "Thanks Ben, I owe you one." He says over his shoulder, and Ben gets the distinct feeling that the former squire meant it too.

Fin is still trying to figure out what the smell is when people start appearing all around him as if some magic trick. His mind quickly tries to race to keep up with the greetings and questions but the poor little elf just ends up confused quickly.

“umm, hi dude, faries…yes man I’ll take an apple…ummm, peaches are so gnarly…..where did my stick go….dude stop bleeding on my boots…”

Yet the elf stops in his tracks when he is introduced to Aridwyn. And his eyes go wide when she mentions the Elders.

“Heeeeeeeeeeeey duddette! Que pasa on the old homestead?” He asks around a mouthful of peach. “Those dudes aren’t still mad at me for the frogs are they? I can explain, seriously, it wasn’t my fault! See there was this pixie and she…hey did you bring me any presents??”

"An honor to meet you. I am Aridwyn Starwarder, ranger of Almirithil. If your duke assents, I will join you and your archers to hunt down the foul Darkspawn. Janara's explained their attack; is there anything else we need to know before we set out?"

Aridwyn quickly explained why she was looking for Fin while she and Janara walked over to where Fin and Joe were. It was about that time that Malachias returned with his archers.

"Janara, I'm glad you're back," says Malachias. I may need to pick your brain later..

Janara looked at Malachias with a blank expression on her face. She was not quite sure what brain-picking meant, but although it sounded scary, she knew that Malachias would not deliberately harm her, so rather than ask what he meant, she half-grinned and replied, "Umm.. if you wanna, you know where I'm at."

..Oh hello, Master Elf," he nods to Fin. "Did the faeries eventually overtake you, as you feared?"

"Faeries?", she said while trying to supress a laugh. "Whaddabout the minotaur down at the Stoat?" This time her laughter escaped, along with a few coughs and snorts.

His eyes wander to Aridwen. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Yeoman Malachias. Ken and I helped Janara hate her some necromancer in our last mission."

Janara grinned wide toward Malachias while she made a mental note to be a bit more careful saying the elf-lady's name next time.

“Heeeeeeeeeeeey duddette! Que pasa on the old homestead?” He asks around a mouthful of peach. “Those dudes aren’t still mad at me for the frogs are they? I can explain, seriously, it wasn’t my fault! See there was this pixie and she…hey did you bring me any presents??”

An awkward silence fell upon the conversation. Janara rolled her eyes at Fin, and then turned to Aridwyn and shrugged. "I told'ya he was kinda weird in his head."

Janara then noticed Joe, who was still standing there silently. She also looked down and noticed Fin's boots.

"Joe... you need any healing?"

Roman had arrived by this time with two priests, who he had instructed anybody who was wounded to go see. Janara took Joe by the hand to lead him to one of the priests.

"C'mon Joe. Looks like you and me both got leaks that need mending."

Joe meanders over to George and nods towards Jasmine, "She healed my wound...

Are you her champion? In the turn'ment later?" The big half-orc has re-equiped with a frightening double-bit greataxe, apparently once carried by a Kjordsman who went "Crusader". If the axe "did thirst' as Kjordsmen claimed, it was in the hands of one who could "lead it to drink".......

Jonathon's fire-arrow flies down the passage, illuminating a distance of about forty yards, revealing nothing of interest but the corpses left behind by the powers of the two so dissimilar women warriors.

Yet the elf stops in his tracks when he is introduced to Aridwyn. And his eyes go wide when she mentions the Elders.

Thinking fast, Aridwyn rifles through her knapsack and finds a small flask of fine elven wine. She pulls it out (a little regretfully, since she had been looking forward to enjoying it after the battle) and presents it to Fin. "Here you go. A little taste of the Vale."

"I don't really have much news... I spend most of my time out in the woods, so most of the intricacies at court never reach my ears. Oh, Danithal's at it with the Elders again over whether the gold chanderliers in the council room can be sold to pay for mercenaries in times of war. The usual."

She smiles a little. Fin is certainly as scatterbrained as he was advertised, but something about the elf and his friends sets her at ease. "Tell me about these frogs."

"Well why not!"

Newly healed by one of the Priests brought by Roman, Janara drew out her own longsword and followed in right in behind Joe.

"Hey Joe. Let's see who can get the most of 'em.", she said to him as they both entered the tunnel. She then hurled the core of her apple down the tunnel as far as she could manage hoping to taunt whatever might be beyond Erik's torch and Malachias' fire-arrow.

"COME ON OUT! WE WASN'T FINISHED WITH YA YET!"

"Erm, Joe and Janara, do you think you could wait a couple of minutes for the healers to finish healing everyone?" Asks George with a strange look on his face. "I'm as eagre as you to slay the foul creatures, but I still need some healing."

"Ain't gonna be easy to sneak up on Joe or me.", Janara said to Licia, all the while looking down the tunnel for darkspawn, darkspawn-tracks, or outcroppings of rock in the tunnel walls that darkspawn might hide behind. Since no darkspawn had answered her taunt, she was getting the feeling that they might be waiting in ambush.

"Hold on a little bit,Joe. We oughtta wait and let th'others catch up to us. " She put away her sword, took her bow and nocked an arrow. "I heard they dug more tunnels under the city. It had'ta take alot of 'em to dig all that."

"Mister Fin?" puts in Jonny, the grizzled Ivy Crown initiate, with a malicious grin. "There's faeries down there in that tunnel...I heard them talking about you, saying bad things 'bout your flowers and stuff. You gonna take that from them?"

Malachias's face turns several interesting shades as he tries not to laugh while retaining his credibility. Percival bursts out in hastily-surpressed laughter, but Kenyon glares.

"Can it, Jonny," he snaps. "You can get away with that in the Unforgiven, but not here." He glances at Malachias for confirmation, who nods.

Not the least bit surprised at Joe's eagerness and lack of restraint, Erik is shocked that Janara and Licia join him.

Have they lost their minds?!?! This is not some picnic!

"Get out of the tunnel! You're blocking the archers field of fire! We'll go when Roman says go!"