Legends of Taltos:Crusaders

Steven Page

"Looks like we have the honour of guarding our allies' backs." George says to Jonathon and Percival as he moves to join the two Ivy Crown archers. "If anything happens, fire off an arrow or two and then give me covering fire."

As George is discussing possible scenarios with the two archers, he sees a familiar female form descend into the tunnel ahead of him and his comrades.

"Jasmine, what are you doing?" Asked George as he reached out to grab his friend's arm. "I think Roman intended for you to remain behind here in Denelspire."

"Perhaps he did, but you will be needing the blessings of my god." Jasmine's smile is as infectious as always, but something in her bearing and eyes told George she was serious. "I cannot allow my friends to face danger alone."

For the first time, George pulls Jasmine into an embrace, which only lasts a couple of seconds before he pulls away from her. "Then be careful, and stay near Rai, Janara and the Wanderer." George smiles, his youthful uncertainty returning in that smile. "I'll only be a few yards behind you."

With that, Jasmine trots off into the tunnel to catch up with Rai, Janara and Aeolene.

Turning back to the archers assigned to rearguard, George's face takes on a hardness which they hadn't seen before, even Percival who used to train with him as a squire. "Let us go about the Lord's work this day." He pauses then lowers his head. "Dear Father, please send forth your blessings upon us as we go about your righteous work this day. I ask for the Holy Spirit to guide our blades and arrows, and the love of the Son to fortify our armour and bodies against the foul beasts whom we shall soon be joining battle with. Amen."

With that, George seems to grow. His eyes seem aflame with holy fire and righteous zeal, and as he hefts his pack onto his back, it seems as though his strength knows no bounds. His shield and sword are, to him, likewise feather light as he moves to the tunnel. "Come lads, let us praise the Father with our very being."

With that, George jumps down into the tunnel, his shield ready and sword drawn. He takes one final glance around the chapel before moving off into the tunnel, accompanied by the two archers.

With any luck, this will be a back entrance to the Darkspawn I told the dryad I'd slay for her.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a sound, the young female elf turns to her right and sinks a shaft into the chest of a hidden darkspawn ambusher. It falls to the tunnel floor dead. Joe trots up to cover the flank of his more lightly equipped friends......

Whew! Nicely done! I didn't even see him 'til he hit the floor!

She'll be a nice addition.

Soon Janara heard the sound of light footsteps rapidly approaching from behind. Fearing the worst, she turned quickly only to see the form of George's brown-skinned lady-friend coming toward her.

"What're you doin' here?" whispered Janara as the newcomer joined her group. "We're gone after darkspawns. This ain't no place for George's lady."

It was about this time that Janara's ears heard a commotion way down the tunnel. She was not sure if it was trouble or just the magnified echoes of friendly forces, but just to be safe, Janara invited her to stay with them for the moment.

"Looks like you better stay with us. Can ya fight?"

As the party get one hundred yards intot he tunnel, the humans without a form of illumination lose all abilty to see, and even become disoriented. The elves still enjoy some benefit from the light thrown off the Ivy Crown fire arrow. There have been no apparent side passages thus far.....

Without a sound, the young female elf turns to her right and sinks a shaft into the chest of a hidden darkspawn ambusher. It falls to the tunnel floor dead.

Aridwyn strained her ears as she slowly moved forward in the dark. Was that a sound she heard? Better safe than sorry! She whirled to her right in one fluid motion and let an arrow fly. Seconds later, she heard the satisfying "clunk" of a Darkspawn body hitting the floor. She allowed herself a smile as she readied another arrow. After being on her own for so long, it felt good to fight with allies again, to know that someone had her back. That was almost as good a feeling as knowing the Darkspawn she'd just killed would never again shed innocent blood. It could never undo the past, but it was some consolation.

Creeping through the pitch black corridor, Ben turns to relying on his keen hearing and unwavering sense of direction as his guide. He smiles silently to himself as he hears the thud of an arrow and the dying gasp of what could only be a Darkspawn. At least he is in good company with the two elves.

Ben continues down the tunnel keeping his left hand in contact with the cool damp wall and concentrating on picking up any sounds that could be more enemies lurking in the darkness.

As the party get one hundred yards intot he tunnel, the humans without a form of illumination lose all abilty to see, and even become disoriented. The elves still enjoy some benefit from the light thrown off the Ivy Crown fire arrow. There have been no apparent side passages thus far.....

Seeing the need for at least some light, Erik pulls out his everburning torch. Holding it in his shield hand, he continues with the group.

Aridwyn winced as an arrow glanced her side. True, the Necropolis could scare you half to death, but nothing in Taltos hurt so much as a blow from the Darkspawn. She bit down hard on her lip to keep from screaming, determined to deny the Darkspawn the pleasure of her pain, as she fired another arrow into the darkness...

The flurry of arrows has caught no one by surprise....Roman strides forward, throwing his torch in the direction of the archers. Erik starts towards the illumined

foes, only to be cut off by two sword weilding female darkspawn, who drop from the ceiling of the tunnel. George gives a warning shout as two more emerge from a hidden alcove behind the party. With a hasty call from strenght, he steps up to stop them. Fin and Aridwyn loose two arrows each at the archers before them, each dropping one.Licia pulls to the right, to assist George in his battle, Her longsword proves deadly to one of the foes.Malachias and his archers eeek to cover the as yet unattacked left flank, while Jonathon launches another fire arrow towards the darkspawn ahead.

Joe seeks to close with the darkspawn archers on the left flank, but instead runs up on two sword wielders. He slaughters one and prepares to face the second, who slips ablade under his axe and draws blood. One of the darkspawn on Erik shouts an order, then launches a flurry of thrusts, finding a hole in the Crusader's defense.

Another lands a solid hit on George.

Bootknife Ben had removed a flask of oil, for purposes of illumination, but having ignited it, he simply tossed it at one of the darkspawn closing in on Erik, leaving the foul creature to flee back up the tunnel in flames, disrupting her comrades.

Janara tells Aeolene, "Stay here with Mal', he'll watch out for ya!" then rushes to the assistance of Joe. Aeolene nocks an arrow in her bow, and fires at George's attacker, without effect.

Rai casts a spell on herself, suddenly taking on a slight shimmer....

PM NEXT ACTIONS....

"Satan must have hid them from us..." George thinks to himself as he raises his sword to meet the Darkspawn filth as they rush the back of the party. ".... they shall find me of superior quality, so help me God!"

The chaos of battle continues. George takes mighty swings at his enemies, but their nimbleness foils his attack.Aeolene does however, drop one of his foes with a well-placed arrow.

Erik launches himself on the Darkspawn sergeant with a ferocious two-handed blow, and sunders the foe in two parts. Another darkspawn moves in on the Crusader, only to be distracted by the need to block an attack from bootknife Ben.

Joe finds himself now opposed by a well-equipped male Darkspawn, obviosly a leader.....he takes damage from a sword point, only to feel some relief as Janara grabs his shoulder, saying "Heal up Joe, 'Rellius needs, ya."

Fin drops another archer, then reaches into his quiver and pulls out a broken arrow. "DUDE, you were supposed to fix that!!!!" Aridwyn casts him a sideways glance, and places an arrow in the chest of another darkspan.

Licia continues to assist George, skillfully taking out another enemy.

Suddenly bursting into the tunnel mouth is a pack of Hellhounds, the darkness lit by the fire on their breath. Malachis and his lads release a volley of arrows into the pack, Mal and Percy teaming to drop the lead dog. Roman steps in to attack the next one, landing a telling blow against it.

The Darkspawn archers are down to just two, and one's bow breaks. The other lands a shot in the thigh of Fin.....

Rai and Jasmine take up their ranged Weapons, and with careful aim, hit a hellhound with crossbow bolt and sling stone.......

PM NEXT ACTIONS...

Dodge by sword will you?! George screams at the Darkspawn in his mind as he misses the vile creature. He is about to attack again when he sees Licia bring the foul thing down.

With a nod of thanks to Licia, he breathes a quiet battle prayer and prepares himself for further combat. Almighty Father, guide my arm this day, bless my blade and allow my sword to strike true, that your foes might be slain. In your name, Amen!

My brothers and sisters in arms are counting on me to hold the rear. I shan't fail.

Edit: I misread Steve's post :o)