Legends of Taltos:Crusaders

Steven Page

Cursing himself for missing the beast, Ben reslings his crossbow over his shoulder and charges the archer with his sword poised to strike.

As the creature pulls further away from the melee, Ben realizes that he is being drawn away from the group and stops pursuing. He turns back to the battle while reloading his crossbow, looking for a suitable target amongst the remaining hell hounds.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Argh!" Rai drops her cross bow in frustration. "Not my preferred weapon of choice any ways," she mumbles as she begins concentrating with a weapon that has yet to fail her. Don't even think about it, she thinks as she sets her target to the beast before her.

The sounds of prayers, curses and baying hounds continues...George moves in to help Jasmine, delivering a terrific chop to the back of a hound...As Malachias drags the body of Percival from the fight, Aeolene kneels beside him, lays a hand on his open wound, and prays the spirit of the Great Wind to blow life back into the brave warrior. Wounds begin to close, and Percy's eyes open......"Mal, it's an angel...."

Erik and Roman move to finish the last beast in their vecinity. Erik destroys it's spine with another great swing, and with Roman, rushes to find those in need of help...

Aridwyn, still reeling from the effects of her wound, misses again, and continues to curse fluently in orcish....Fin, hearing her, makes a mental note that he has finally found another elf that behaves as badly as he does.....then launches in to another attack with his paired rapiers, killing the hound that Licia has been distracting.....

"Hey, Sword-lady, when we're done, want to go collect lightning bugs? roman might need some to see the cows in the caves?"

The hellhounds don't die easily....one bites Jasmine on her leg, opening a bad wound....another snaps viciously at Jonathon, but he and Kenyon finish it....the last one up looks in the direction of the biggest group of Crusaders, and lets go a blast of fire....Most see the attack coming, and dodge or dive away. Jasmine however is still in the grip of the hound she is fighting, and take s a blast of fire....her silk garment catch immediately, and as she pulls away from her attacker, she begin to throw off the burning clothing, panic etched on her face....

Joe and Janara, having finished the darkspawn captain, decide to continue their partnership by killing the fire-breathing abomination...Hiting it from both sides at once, they deal grievious damoage to the monster, barely avoiding cleaving each other in the natural enthusiasm......

Rai ceases the casting of the spell she had hung, and rushes to the aid of her injured friend, reaching instinctively for some of the healing potions she had acquired earlier.....Treatment finished and Jasmine begin to slow her breathing back to normal, George offers his cloak and a brooch, which Rai helps her to fashion into a working garmment......

Bootknife Ben joins the huddled group around the wounded and the healers....."I folowed the archer part of the way....There are more waiting on us, very close by...."

Even before Janara could get around to making certain the last hellhound was indeed dead, Rai had already begun tending to Jasmine and Aeolene to the young archer that Malachias commanded. Janara turned to Joe and without any explanation, she laid one hand on the gaping sword-wound on his forearm and uttered an invocation for his healing... only nothing happened.

"Maybe I need'ta pray more.", she said, taking in the confused expression on his face. Finally remembering to turn loose of his arm, she changed the subject from something she could do nothing about at this time to something she could do something about.

"Think we oughtta make shure they stay dead?". A mischievious grin came across her lips. Joe seemed not to know what she meant at first, but once Janara had spent two or three swordstrokes removing a particularly well-attached head from the corpse of a fallen darkspawn archer, Joe caught on and followed her example with his axe.

Together they went about the macabre though seemingly necessary task, and debating what to do next.

"Whaddayou mean camp here an' .... did you fall on your head? We oughtta go back out the way we come in an' get them that's been bad-hurt took care of. Ain't nobody brung food or water with 'em, an' some of us was up most of the night last night."

Joe pointed back in the direction of the chapel, now several hundred yards away....""f'we go back, we gotta fight our way right back t'get here 'gin. How many more get hurt or worse?" He surveyed the carnage with a look of near sadness. "I duwanna hafta bleed for th' same ground twice."

Seeing that the wounded are being taken care of by those much more capable than he, Erik turns to keep watch further down the tunnel. Pain, forgotten in the battle, returns to remind him of the wound in his side. He pauses long enough to dig out one of his own healing potions. He drinks it quickly and stows the empty vial.

He readies his everburning torch, takes up his shield, and once again draws his sword. Occasionally making movements to avoid stiffening up, he watches and waits.

"Heay, Perc, it's an angel," murmurs Malachias soothingly. "You just rest, you were hurt pretty bad." Raising his voice, he says, "Ken, watch up the tunnel. Jon, watch down the tunnel, and shoot anything that isn't from Denelspire. Perce, rest a couple minutes, save your strength for when we need it," he added as Percival tried to sit up and re-arm himself.

"Thank you George," Rai says taking the offered cloak and brooch. Rai does her best to both calm her friend and fashion George's cloak. "Slow, deep breathes Jasmine," she repeats over and over again as she is afraid Jasmine will hyperventate and pass out at any moment. Jasmine soon calms herself and thanks both Rai and George for their aid. Rai stays close to her for support as the others discuss the next plan of action.

Once Jasmine had calmed down some, George kneels down beside her and Rai. "Apologies my friends. I should have been here." George seems somewhat depressed, and his eyes have a hint of anger in them.

As he hears Joe and Janara discussing returning to the Spire, George excuses himself from his friends with a quick "it won't happen again" and moves to the pair of half orcs.

"Joe's right. It is unwise to fight for the same ground twice." George speaks up, for what is almost the first time in such company. "Prudence suggests we rest up here for a few minutes to tend to the wounded, then we continue." George turns to look back at his friends, still knelt on the ground, and then over at the wounded archer. "Besides, we have been blooded now. The Holy Spirit's righteous fury shall spur us on and keep our sword arms strong."

George then moves to Roman's side and listens to Ben's report. He doesn't even notice the wounds he suffered, such is his zeal and determination.

Janara nodded at George.

"Yer right.. we come this far. But yeah, we gotta take care of the girls.. an.."

She motioned for Leech to follow her a few paces away from Joe before continuing.

"... an he don't look so good either, but'cha know he's gotta act tuff." She cast a worried glance toward Joe, who was so covered in ichor and blood that it was indeed hard to tell how bad off he really was, though she knew he had taken at least two nasty wounds.

"D'ya think anyboddy could help him?"

"It's not so much what I saw as what I heard." Ben answers Roman's question. "And although I'm not too sure what it was that I heard exactly, all that I know is that it is something very big!"

He turns his attention back to the dark end of the tunnel and reloads his crossbow with a bolt that has a particularly malevolent greenish hue to the tip. "Lets hope that whatever it is finds this to be particularly nasty in it's system." He says quietly to himself.

As a newfound quiet came over the room, Aridwyn fell silent. She wondered how many of the group spoke orcish. Janara and her burly friend no doubt knew every curse and profanity she'd just uttered, if they'd heard her above the din of battle. How embarrassing. But elven oaths just didn't have the same bite to them...

She gazed at the piles of hellhound corpses in amazement. Just a moment before she'd been certain she was about to die; maybe the poison had made her paranoid. She was so used to fighting alone that she hadn't realized how many her companions had killed. This was not how she'd expected to spend her first twenty minutes in Denelspire, but at least she'd had the good fortune of falling in with some very impressive warriors.

Aridwyn moved to join the cluster of others, who were discussing their course of action. She cleared her throat and said in a soft voice, "If I might be so bold to say, I also think we should go on. It will be dangerous, though... we have wounds, and there's always fatigue to worry about. Whatever's waiting for us down the tunnel doesn't have those problems. First we should take inventory of our wounds." She showed off the wound in her side, secretly feeling a little proud that she hadn't collapsed. "I can go on for longer if need be, but I can't speak for the others. Where's Fin? I saw him take an arrow."

She jerked her head toward the Darkspawn corpses on the ground. "Not that I want to go near those things, but mayhap we should search the bodies. Perhaps one of them carried some information or a map of these infernal tunnels." And I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of those arrows, she thought to herself. The Crusaders might object, but I think these vermin need a taste of their own medicine.

Not really meaning to, but not really trying not to, Janara overheard Rai's friend's reply to Roman. She had been trying to work out why it was that whatever waswaiting down the tunnel had not attacked. Now in her own mind she had figured it out. It was too big to fit in this part of the tunnel.. Now she wondered if the monster was stuck, or it it was just biding its time, hungrily waiting for them all.

"If I might be so bold to say, I also think we should go on. It will be dangerous, though... we have wounds, and there's always fatigue to worry about. Whatever's waiting for us down the tunnel doesn't have those problems. First we should take inventory of our wounds. -- I can go on for longer if need be, but I can't speak for the others. Where's Fin? I saw him take an arrow."

Janara motioned toward Joe, who was now busying himself with dragging the various corpses toward the unexplored end of the tunnel in what appeared to be an attempt to tidy up a campsite.

"I think there's more blood on the outside of him than on the inside of him. Didd'n nothin' get me. That there's all Joe-blood." She pointed to the huge stain on the hem of her tatty cloak which she wore over her leather armour. She then looked for Fin, but could not spot him right away. He was such a small elf, and according to Joe, he liked to wander off alot. "Maybe he's hid up under that unvisible-cloak he has.", she muttered loudly to herself, chuckling at her own joke.

Not that I want to go near those things, but mayhap we should search the bodies. Perhaps one of them carried some information or a map of these infernal tunnels."

"HEY JOE! ARDYWEN WANTS'TA HAVE A LOOK AT THEM DEAD DARKSPAWNS!"