Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

Played Tiny Epic Quest and Century: Eastern Wonders on Saturday.

TEQ was fun if a bit confusing on the first play through. After you have played it through once subsequent games should be pretty casual and go rather quickly, and it definitely was entertaining with multiple victory strategies.

C:EW only looked complicated, after a couple of turns it went quickly, as long as everyone is paying attention and planning during the other players' turn. You dont want to play this with a group of ADD sufferers. I'm interested in tryiing the combined Eastern Wonders / Spice Road version.

• Like 1

I haven't played it yet, but I just traded a guy for a copy of Dungeon Alliance with the pre-painted miniatures. It should arrive on Thurs. Can't wait to get it on the table!

I'm getting Crystal Clans in the same trade. Interested in seeing how that plays. I have to admit that when I first saw this game at my FLGS that the cover art turned me off. It screamed kiddie game to me. But then I happened across their website and it won me over. I think that the overall art is much better than what they put on the cover.

units2.jpg units1.jpg

• Like 1

I played Quartz last night.  A nice little push your luck game where you reach into a bag and pull out various types of gems.  If you pull out too much obsidian though, you are kicked out of the mine and get nothing.  We played with 3 people and I won handily thanks to never getting blanked (the owner of the game got zilch 3 out of 5 times), and having a fantastic last turn.  There are also cards that allow you to steal from other people and allow you to protect your goods so there is some player interaction as well.  I think the game would work better with a larger group of people though.  

I also played Vegas: The Dice Game (the Target version).  That's a fun little game, also better with more people.  On your turn you roll all the dice you have (you start with 8) and choose one number.  You then put all the dice of that number on its matching card in the middle of the table.  Whoever has the most dice there gets the money on that area (tied dice don't count).  I only played it two player with a neutral dice alternate rule.  It also works better at higher player counts.  

• Like 2

My trade for Dungeon Alliance arrived as scheduled so we got to play it on Friday night. I traded my full set of WoW board games for it, so I was praying that I would enjoy the game, and I did! Hopefully we'll play it again this week on our normal night.

In the game, you start by drafting an alliance of 4 characters, then you proceed to explore a semi-randomly generated dungeon. You gain XP by defeating monsters and a few random events. The alliance w/the most XP after 4 rounds is the winner.

It's a combination of stat-based dungeon crawler with a deck-builder. Each hero has stats for Attack, Defense, Speed, and Hit Points, which can be improved by playing cards during your turn. Each hero has 3 unique starting cards which combine to form your starting deck, then as you gain XP you can buy more cards to add to your deck. Overall, we found the rules to be pretty simple and straight-forward, but your board situation and hand are constantly changing so we spent a lot of individual time trying to decide on tactics. We were supposed to play 4 rounds, but we called it at the end of 3 after having played for 3 hours. But we were also bs'ing a lot too, and one of the guys was trying to game the rules a lot so I had to keep looking up edge cases to say "no you can't do that". It'll go faster with a few more games under out belt.

It also has some rules for playing a campaign mode where you keep the same 4 heroes every game. That will speed things up immensely, as we'd all be familiar w/our starting decks.

395626288_dungeonalliance.thumb.jpg.93593de00cc6574f408d353700227596.jpg

• Like 2

I tried "Rise of Tribes" yesterday at PAX.  It was described as being similar to Catan but for people who want to still like their friends.  :;):  Definitely will appeal to people who like Catan, but with enough new mechanics that it feels like a different game.  I really enjoyed it!  

• Like 1

Plaued Unstable Unicorns with @Crimson King and his wife (I'm blanking on if she has a forum name, hi!).  Fun game even that kind of feels like a criss between Magic and Munchkin.  And who can resist a game with a card named Stabby the Unicorn?

• Like 3

On 9/4/2018 at 11:40 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Plaued Unstable Unicorns with @Crimson King and his wife (I'm blanking on if she has a forum name, hi!).  Fun game even that kind of feels like a criss between Magic and Munchkin.  And who can resist a game with a card named Stabby the Unicorn?

Stabby is an awesome unicorn, especially his art! 

• Like 2

Played Skull (sometimes called Skull and Roses) last night.  Nice, simple bluffing game for up to 6 people.  I was the first one out though so I didn't win.  

2018-09-05 20.01.39.jpg

Edited by Unit04
  • Like 2

We've been playing Betrayal at Baldur's Gate, and really loving it. It's a different game nearly each time, and the rules aren't overcomplicated. Anyone here play this or the original?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, HolkDiggity said:

We've been playing Betrayal at Baldur's Gate, and really loving it. It's a different game nearly each time, and the rules aren't overcomplicated. Anyone here play this or the original?

I have played Betrayal at Baldur's Gate once and loved it. Have played the original many times and love it. Am currently working on a full Supernatural set. Characters are done and I discovered that you can get custom decks of cards for less than $20. Now working on items, events, omens and haunts. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Keianna said:

I have played Betrayal at Baldur's Gate once and loved it. Have played the original many times and love it. Am currently working on a full Supernatural set. Characters are done and I discovered that you can get custom decks of cards for less than $20. Now working on items, events, omens and haunts. 

That's a pretty great idea! I never thought of customizing the game, but you could definitely replace the theme with just about anything.

• Like 2

We are starting Pandemic Legacy season 2. We've played through the prologue twice now before making characters. The next two prologue play throughs will let us get a feel for the character roles and then we should be ready to start the Legacy Deck.

We enjoyed season 1 enough to get season 2. It took a while to find enough players so we settled on each of us (hubby and myself) running two for a full four player game. Tonight's round was mostly logistics of dual characters.

• Like 4

Interesting that you are playing the prologue multiple times. Is that unique to Season 2?

My wife and I jumped into Season 1 with two characters each.

This weekend was full of family gaming (and attending two kid birthday parties):

Monopoly Gamer (isnt terrible):

20180916_120731.thumb.jpg.0695a2f43af307c3b4275787d595af78.jpg

Hey, That's My Fish!

20180915_101747.thumb.jpg.56a88fd71d3b366765bad4bbf0e667a0.jpg

The Magic Labyrinth 

20180914_180836.thumb.jpg.0f500b53b29d49a45677d6d707e8a590.jpg

My Little Scythe (four way tie with tiebreaker of Friendship)

20180916_135153.thumb.jpg.a9870da58c33da20037f69694cc12bf6.jpg

20180916_144714.thumb.jpg.acc7e06c2fab2ab5565ecf2b609fbe3f.jpg

King of Tokyo

20180914_184015.thumb.jpg.d315a016b22e4614aa316d21e4b72237.jpg

• Like 5