Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

11 hours ago, Talae said:

My eight year old daughter shuffles her sleeved Pokemon deck and has for over a year. She can't shuffle an unsleeved deck though. 

You are raising your daughter right!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Talae said:

My eight year old daughter shuffles her sleeved Pokemon deck and has for over a year. She can't shuffle an unsleeved deck though. 

I bought a plastic card shuffler with a crank as I was getting tired of first time shuffling of the masses of cards that come eith most game. I think my son has more fun shuffling cards with this than playing the games. 

Played a few rounds of Codenames Pictues with my 5yo and my sisters family--it was a hit. Since her kids are older I bought a traditional Codenames for their Christmas present.

This past weekend I promised my 5yo I would play games with him. We played two games of Robot Turtles and he got bored since he didn't get his gems first. Then he wanted to play Mechs and Minions. We played the tutorial again to refresh ourselves on the mechanics and then played the 1st mission. We played 3 times and the bonb blew us up each time....but we came close the last time which I thought was impressive since I was reading the cards to my son who wasn't able to understand some of the intricacies of the cards. I was impressed with his improvement from a few months ago.

each time....but we came close the last time which I thought was impressive since I was reading the cards to my son who wasn't able to understand some of the intricacies of the cards. I was impressed with his improvement from a few months ago.

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 2

Played Trouble and RoboChamp with my great nieces and nephew this past weekend. Uncle Kevin had as much fun as they did!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KruleBear said:

This past weekend I promised my 5yo I would play games with him. We played two games of Robot Turtles and he got bored since he didn't get his gems first. 

I love me some Robot Turtles! I should try to get it on the table this weekend.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Talae said:

I love me some Robot Turtles! I should try to get it on the table this weekend.

I need to covince the boys kindergarten teacher to use Robot Turtles to supplent the programming logic she is working on with them using Sphero's. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KruleBear said:

I need to covince the boys kindergarten teacher to use Robot Turtles to supplent the programming logic she is working on with them using Sphero's. 

That is what some of our schools around here do! Although, they tend to use Dot and Dash for the younger grades instead of Spheros.

• Like 2

In this post: Sushi Go Party and Forbidden Sky.

I didn't get any pictures, but last night we played Sushi Go with my parents. It went well. My dad wasn't too sure about it, but I think he would have liked it better if we'd used one of the more complicated menus; the starter menu is really non-interactive. Mom was fully on board with drafting desserts. It was their first card drafting game.

As a long time Magic player and a long time 7Wonders player, I am really looking forward to some of the more complicated or interactive menus. I suspect this will be an excellent addition to our gaming laptop for casual nights and our NYE party.

Tonight we played Forbidden Sky, the most recent addition to the Forbidden Island series. It was a rough first go, as my parents haven't played anything like it, ever, but I really like this game. Not only is it a good extension of the franchise (both in theme and in gameplay), but there is also ACTUAL HANDS ON SCIENCE happening. Super simple science, but science nonetheless. You actually have to build a working electrical circuit to win! So cool! Gameplay is very similar to the rest of the franchise: each player has so many actions, then something terrible happens, repeat; try to assemble or gather stuff to win; work together or lose. I think Forbidden Sky is likely the most complex decision tree of the three, and is therefore the most punishing of groups who don't communicate. I like it a bunch.

Also, the game has farraday cages. What's not to like?

• Like 4

I didnt realize that Forbidden Sky was so cool! I need to pick it up now!

-------------------------------------------------------------

20181127_225210.thumb.jpg.dcecf1be2c3271bff3ec1abe21300bc8.jpg

I decided to start up a new  campaign of Kingdom Death. Named the Settlement Disneyland because everyone wants to go to Disneyland...right?

Aladdin landed the most hits, but backed away after taking a solid blow to the leg and chest. Cinderella didn't even land one hit, but Belle got a few good swings (including two critical hits for extra resources!) in before getting hit in the head. Luckily Donald Duck was able to end things with a nicely timed critical hit.

Even more amazing than everyone surviving, the returning survivors rolled max for population AND successfully had twins! Starting off with a population of 18 makes me worried what terrible thing awaits. (It also has me tempted to go Survival of the Fittest, but I am scared to do it).

Also, I used the Scribe app for the first time. This thing is amazing! It made things so much easier to manage! I am likely to send money their way (but the free version is just fine too). 

Edited by Talae
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We played Terraforming Mars.  It was a very good game even though I came in second of four.  It had good strategy that left with you picking what of the good things you could fund or which was the best of the bad alternatives you could take.  I lost on the awards  etc.  

• Like 4

The Kingdom Death Disneyland saga continues. Tonight Aladdin convinced Belle and Cinderella to go out on another hunt and the three of them got Elsa to join them for the first time.

The group came across a Statue with a Sword and decided to leave it alone before coming across the White Lion.

During the battle Aladdin fought tirelessly doing most of the damage, but Elsa chopped off a paw and Belle castrated the beast (this game is crazy)! Cinderella spent her time searching debris and finding some bone blades.

The group walked away with quite the haul of resources. Before they had a chance to do anything with the resources, the group was confronted with Endless Screams of a monstrosity in the distance. Aladdin held fast and convinced the others of their safety...going a little crazy in the process and becoming the Crazed Orator of Death! This was then followed by a Triathlon of Death in which many good and many bad things happened. Notably, Aladdin tore his Achilles tendon and suffers from seizures, Belle and Cinderella are both apathetic to fighting, and Elsa had an arm dismembered.

Elsa and Donald Duck decided to parent a child, that as of now remains unnamed. That brings the settlement up to 19 people. Also, Ammonia was the innovation learned. I would have rather have learned the ability to use surge, but Ammonia is likely to come in handy.

After just the prologue and the first lvl1 White Lion, the settlement has a set of rawhide, a spear, a bow, a bone dagger, and two bone blades...plus lots of other odds and ends.

20181205_224349.thumb.jpg.4455d7ffe81e2f1a97299fbcf4e97d25.jpg

20181205_223701.thumb.jpg.7c407619f25ce88ed0af9d585589d243.jpg

• Like 4

I forgot to mention that I played Dominion for the first time ever a few weeks ago.  It wasn't as bad as I feared.   

Last night we played Arkham Horror (3rd edition).  It plays similarly enough to FFG's other games in the series.  We stopped due to time but if you like or were interested in the other games in the series, you will probably like this one.  

1974405257_2018-12-0520_50_29.thumb.jpg.1a2b292d55d2f8c5720f9c913cba7fb1.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Unit04 said:

I forgot to mention that I played Dominion for the first time ever a few weeks ago.  It wasn't as bad as I feared.   

Last night we played Arkham Horror (3rd edition).  It plays similarly enough to FFG's other games in the series.  We stopped due to time but if you like or were interested in the other games in the series, you will probably like this one.  

1974405257_2018-12-0520_50_29.thumb.jpg.1a2b292d55d2f8c5720f9c913cba7fb1.jpg

Arkham and Eldritch Horror on both on my list to play at some point.

As for Dominion. I forgot how decent that game is until I played recently. There is a reason it is still as high as 74 on the BGG ranks. Theme and art set it back for me as a "dated" game (compared to stuff like Legendary or Ascension or other even newer deck builders), but it doesn't suffer from the bloat that some of those games get. It also doesn't end up with the number of edge cases that other deck builders can struggle with. I hope to teach my daughter about deck builders with further plays of Dominion. I also hear good things about most of the expansions.

• Like 4

The lion has been hunted again. Ground Fighting plus a bow to start the first round really made this fight much easier than the last one. Not only did everyone survive again, none actually took damage during the showdown. The hunt events were more dangerous.

At 21 survivors (and one of them a Savior!), I am really dreading the inevitable.

20181207_210745.thumb.jpg.fded6f44afacd41fb283225fe556ff77.jpg

20181207_225939.thumb.jpg.5f690a86306c7289ace1cd450ff7533f.jpg

• Like 4

We played Evil High Priest this last weekend. Everyone loved it!

20181209_145306.thumb.jpg.e51abc2c93832d29a48ca8bb0d76d07b.jpg

I spent last night playing a variation of Kingdom Death that I like to call "sleeve the expansions." I only have two packages of cards left...until another few expansions arrive tomorrow.

20181211_231417.thumb.jpg.36e582b375b11c29b7af557d8751a12f.jpg

I also printed a token organizer at work playing with the 3D printer.

20181211_231422.thumb.jpg.601520dbf38f9d72bea821b16df4e061.jpg

• Like 5

Allrighty.  So we played Good Cop/Bad Cop and Salem on Wednesday game night.  Both are social deduction games, which I am very MEH on in the first place.  They are ok.  I like the fact that everyone has a special ability in Salem regardless of if you are a witch or not, as opposed to some games where your role is tied to a faction. 

1252735528_2018-12-1219_12_17.thumb.jpg.e4ed8c7af48d4e3b23d1dd83b5fa975c.jpg 168700350_2018-12-1220_02_44.thumb.jpg.16335fd9045883d4319aa5cd4ac63840.jpg

Saturday night we had game night at my friend's house.  His son had a friend over so we all played Vegas: The Dice game.   That way we could teach them gambling at an early age.  After the kids went to bed, we brought out King of Tokyo and played that the rest of the night.  (I have King of NY too so all the monsters go in the box and we just grab the ones we want to use)

799537946_2018-12-1519_14_14.thumb.jpg.d9f3b32761dec37164dde3488b036376.jpg1340753384_2018-12-1521_03_05.thumb.jpg.86b549cebe95e8889924b082eb922af4.jpg

• Like 2