Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

I'm surprised to see that I didn't brag about this here earlier. Out of the blue, some stranger on BGG offered to trade me a copy of Air Baron for my copy of 7 Wonders Duel or Ticket to Ride. I had marked myself interested in trading for AB, but did not have either of those other games marked as "for trade" so this guy was just taking a shot in the dark. And I was trilled to accept! 

Air Baron is an old Avalon Hills game from 1996 that is out of print. My group has played it 2 or 3 times using a friend of a friend's copy, but none of us own it. I've seen it sell on eBay for as much as $300 and the copies for sale on BGG are usually over $100 or are very worn, so I've never bought one of those. This guy said that his copy was in very good condition, so I was willing to trade my never played copy of 7W Duel for it. I was shocked when it arrived and I found it to be in near mint condition! The rulebook has a few creases in it, but other than that everything is in amazing condition. It couldn't have been used more than 3 or 4 times. The paper money doesn't even have any bent corners!

Hopefully we'll play it this week at game night if everybody can make it. (We've had a low attendance the past 2 weeks w/the holidays and ppl being sick.)

w4qJE1TjRsuK0GsrN94r6o6qxHxFHChx7PT1YzdONadkNkNIhYLs9WauqXYTKCNA7l9TfMU1ulWiBynmQSlUQTOIa0FZXX072uoUN09zi0KZl9jBFMzlZnGZnYsm__ZisbIvsJ7JMANuYVNwvwALQcAtjD-qZlqfF-y7pZQYEO9-sfqOHRiwHoxMy8soSuLZcf5ura6Qi8t71t_5vLOpniKZrqZkddKiccEsRDtPWK0sSVOxJEdlpbBMCadxmyiHGY-2lazb0rjbdoh6Wmo-bqhDhmy6jB98gPcB-ffSD7Zqae9elpajW78htBJODTPMNYjv1tRK2IMmZMcFna_opv-Sngdmpi1R7RWqeXVpfEQnqgZRm8rkXA2DC4El3Zro2GkCG89bQnN12jLGm_jKYBIGKPq9ds2XrG16-vLPr2w7yW4GkgLxoY4DLrgcBFMJW58GmyPaer5Z9ic6cIwszFV3Fc_f-X8J6HaLKmG7b52MYkE23EC_ZpF5ylZOCe3hkBx8Ch4VhBox6QIR_-ipJeTd5lcVTKnm6H2YyQ53-JraoERGubXpocsoUIBusZkjKoey4YqPBuaOkMv_Zq76ovhc-wRYwl3X6GueYAXTdCvdqcAnIOHOzyt4nWEJorDsBktO1ALPkcpO2FhopbQCqu4r=w994-h976-no

• Like 4

All 5 guys in my group made it last night so we finally played Air Baron!

Here's a small pic of the map. The concept is that you are competing to control regional Hubs (the big circles) by buying/takeover individual airport (Spokes - the small circles). Each hub has a market value and you win when your combined market value + cash on hand reaches or exceeds a value (based on the # of players). It's kinda like Airport Monopoly.

Image result for air baron

• Like 5

I've getting a bunch of board gaming in this week.

First of is Dungeon Mayhem.  Quick D&D card game for 2-4 players.  Each class (paladin, rogue, barbarian and wizard) has a set deck.  You then try and kill everyone else.  games take about 10 minutes.  Fun quick time killer.  Retails for $15, but I had some store credit, so I got it for $.88  I've got about 20 games in.

Played two games of Elder Signs.  We won both with surprisingly few losses.  Not sure if I'm messing up the rules somewhere (I thought that the doom track advanced every midnight but couldn't find it in the rules).

While waiting for my group on D&D night, I sat in on a game of the Rick and Morty Deckbuilder.  That was kind of fun.  Didn't get to finish.

Then I played a game of Fallout.  Nice board game but can get kind of fiddly.  I jumped into a game in progress and still wound up winning the overall game.  I was a Super Mutant that avoided combat until the end of the game and then utilized my Perks to kill about 15 creatures in one round (Pain Train, when you enter an area with enemies in it, do damage equal to your armor rating; and Grim Reaper, when you kill a creature gain another action).  Jumped up two levels and got all the phat loot.  Then I had my 8 victory points.  So my first impression was favorable.

Then I played Rick and Morty Munchkin.  It's Munchkin.  With a Rick and Morty theme.  Enough said.

And then Champions of Midgard; first time with the Dark Mountains and Valhalla expansions.  I really like the expansions, they add a bunch of options to the game.  And I got to buy a Chicken boat!  What more can you ask for?  We only got to play 5 out of the 8 rounds before we ran out of time.

• Like 5

Received One Deck Dungeon for Christmas.  It's a fairly quick 1-2 player (up to 4 with two sets.expansion) dungeon crawl game (minus the crawl, it's abstracted).

Chose a character: Rouge, Ranger, Paladin, Warrior, Mage and adventure in a dungeon.  The dungeon deck functions as encounters, loot (item/skill/potion) and timer.  Once you burn through all of the cards in the deck, you go down a level, and shuffle all of the unused cards back in.  You use dice representing your various stats and need to get either cumulative or specific targets (or above) to defeat the monster.

Solo difficulty is quite high.  I've played 7 or 8 games so far and ony once made it down to the bottom of the dungeon to fight the boss.  I survived two rounds, but on the third my dice failed me and I died a gruesome death; eaten by the dragon.

All in all, it seems fun, even though I have died a bunch, and I'm looking forward to see what it's like with two players,

• Like 3

We got several games for Christmas...and ended up playing Monopoly Junior most af the day. At least it plays quicker than normal Monopoly. 

We had Black Sheep set up at one point, then my son got side tracked by Legos. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Played Fortnite Monopoly last night. My nephew got it for Christmas. It has very little in common with regular monopoly, but it did share the arguementative spawning cutthroatness.

We played it with 5 players. My nephew, his parents, and my Dad, who’s in his mid eighties, hard of hearing, and who didn’t want to play.

Dad won.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Played Fortnite Monopoly last night. My nephew got it for Christmas. It has very little in common with regular monopoly, but it did share the arguementative spawning cutthroatness.

We played it with 5 players. My nephew, his parents, and my Dad, who’s in his mid eighties, hard of hearing, and who didn’t want to play.

Dad won.

Was it like the newish Monopoloy Gamer or Monopoly Mario Kart? Those are fun and not much like Monopoly at all.

Recent games played:

Magic Labyrinth 

20181224_115851.thumb.jpg.b77b00f42504fa33b0918ccb518d827c.jpg

King of Tokyo

20181223_115818.thumb.jpg.4508a6d22af6a18574a998d37388c2a4.jpg

King of New York 

20181222_170459.thumb.jpg.228d3cf7da0e40576d487829ea64c797.jpg

Not pictured:

Spot It

Klask

Lawn Darts

Edited by Talae
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Dad won.

LOL sounds like my dad. :B):

The 5 yo and I played the first mission of  Mechs and Minions again today. I think it is nearly impossible for this scenario to be won with only two mechs. But we get so close that we can almost taste victory. 

We played Codenames Disney version last night. It was harder than I expected, but fun. 

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 7:49 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Received One Deck Dungeon for Christmas.  It's a fairly quick 1-2 player (up to 4 with two sets.expansion) dungeon crawl game (minus the crawl, it's abstracted).

Chose a character: Rouge, Ranger, Paladin, Warrior, Mage and adventure in a dungeon.  The dungeon deck functions as encounters, loot (item/skill/potion) and timer.  Once you burn through all of the cards in the deck, you go down a level, and shuffle all of the unused cards back in.  You use dice representing your various stats and need to get either cumulative or specific targets (or above) to defeat the monster.

Solo difficulty is quite high.  I've played 7 or 8 games so far and ony once made it down to the bottom of the dungeon to fight the boss.  I survived two rounds, but on the third my dice failed me and I died a gruesome death; eaten by the dragon.

All in all, it seems fun, even though I have died a bunch, and I'm looking forward to see what it's like with two players,

Realized yesterday that I had been playing using the 2 player side of the character sheets (fewer skills and items).  So that explaims the difficulty.  Still havent won, bit ive made it to the boss several times now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Talae said:

Was it like the newish Monopoloy Gamer or Monopoly Mario Kart? Those are fun and not much like Monopoly at all.

I’m not familiar with either of those games so I couldn’t say. 

Besides the original monopoly the only version I’ve played was the Minions one from Despicable Me, and that was quite different.

The Fortnight version is more like a shooter game, where everybody starts with 15 hitpoints which you loose or gain back as you travel around the board.

When you get control of a space other players who land on it take damage. 

Once it’s your turn you roll two dice. One is a normal D6 that shows you the number of spaces your character can move, the other has symbols of a brick, a crosshair, a bandage, and a bomb.

-Brick lets you put up a wall on a space forcing the first character to reach it to stop on that space.

-Cross hair lets you shoot other characters or walls in your line of site, doing damage to them or destroying them.

-Bandage gives you back hitpoints.

-Bomb does damage to all the other characters on the board.

Theres more to it, with cards causing special events to happen or gives your character a temporary or permanent special ability. There’s probably a couple of things I’ve forgot too.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I’ve never played the Fortnite video game.

Not sure we got all the rules quite right, we only had time to play through it once.

• Like 3

20181227_122732.thumb.jpg.14dd0e4b67093ab62becdca7dcd11ad4.jpg

Aladdin, Belle, Elsa, and Hercules set out from Disneyland to hunt Rudolph, er I mean the Screaming Antelope.

He never was fond of being called names and having to miss out on the reindeer games.

Belle found a broken lantern. Aladdin forced a Test of Courage that left everyone feeling inadequate. Elsa lost her name to a Mask Salesman and became Esmeralda, also gaining the Death Mask. Hercules found a pile of vomit that he thought would be a good idea for everyone to rummage in.

During the fight itself, Belle used the Giant Stone Face with the Cat Gut Bow to her advantage, landing hit after hit - including a Crushed Spine and a Festfoyed hoof. Hercules managed to inflict a Crushed Crown and Aladdin/Esmeralda hit a few times but no crits.

Surprisingly, Rudolph spent most of the time Chowing Down on plants or running away. This made for a flawless victory. Esmeralda gained her Fist and Tooth weapon proficiency and Hercules gained Last Man Standing.

The Plague came and went without an impact due to lots of Bloodletting, but it does mean Esmeralda, Donald Duck, Genie, and Cinderella are all skipping the next hunt to rest up.

The survivors went on a minor shopping spree before gearing up to fight the Butcher.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was called in for a last minute demo game of Cthulhu Wars tonight. Four player game with me as Great Cthulhu and three guys that hadn'tplayed before. Sleeper won the game after spending most of the mid game commenting on how broken he thought Cthulhu was. Fun times were had.

20181227_213300.thumb.jpg.0084442770c5df6b37cf38a1bec37b9b.jpg

• Like 3

We played a ton of games with the kids today.

Skip-Bo

Happy Salmon

King of Tokyo

Hi-Ho Cherry-O x4

Azul x2

Spot It x10

Spot It Jr. x1

DC Superhero Girls Go Fish x2

Drop It x2

Fireflies and Flashlights x6

That is thirty total plays of ten different games! Can you tell we are trying to round out the  various family 10x10 challenges?

• Like 2

We played a game of Pictureka this morning and then spent a couple hours working around the house. A couple friends are coming over soon, so we will play some other stuff. Not sure what yet, but we'll see.

• Like 2

Late to the show but we've been playing a bunch of Catan Family edition and Carcassonne. Not crazy about Catan but we all are really enjoying Carcassonne.

• Like 2