Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

Played Cthulhu Wars with my 8yo daughter for the first time. She won. #ProudGamerDad

20190308_204015.thumb.jpg.37fd9e85c12f8a3c477259e392501a6c.jpg

• Like 6

I haven't checked in for a few weeks. Work has that occasional tendency to cut into my Internet time. ;)

Last week we played Firefly the game, which is always entertaining. And I think its one of the few games that really shows how people can make poor decisions, but blame the game for it. FREX one guy had a job that required Explosives, but he didn't have any and there were none available in any of the stores. This was a job he got during setup and he just couldn't find any explosives. He just needed to complete 1 job for this boss in order to complete his goal, but instead of travelling back to get a different job he kept flying from one store to another, drawing new gear cards in hope that an explosive would come up.

Another guy kept attempting Misbehave tasks when he had like only 1 skill point in fighting. He had 4 crew members die. :lol:

Last night only 3 of us could make it so we tried something new and broke out the Thanos Rising game from WizKids (or whatever it's called). It was fun, if not simplistic. It made for a good beer & pretzels game tho. One of the guys left after that so we broke out a 1v1 game of Dice Throne. This was my second time playing DT and I really enjoy it. My buddy owns 2 of the season 2 boxes and is planning on getting the rest.

• Like 6

I played a few games over the last two weeks and forgot to put some of them up.  Pandemic Iberia was a fun version of Pandemic.  It is set in 1848 so it is harder to move around and treat diseases compared to the traditional Pandemic board game.  Its a pretty neat take on the system and we did wind up winning so, yay!  Plus it has a neat, old fashioned looking board.

1470759904_2019-03-0619_54_18.thumb.jpg.bec716fdcef5f44d90740d8372e65ae8.jpg

Another game we played was Century: Spice Road - Golem Edition.  With the exception of the components, it is exactly the same as the original game.   It is an engine building game and the key is getting cards that give you more spices, or gems, rather than ones that convert one type of gem to another type of gem.  

577689110_2019-03-0620_34_40.thumb.jpg.3cb6ac0ba4a3abe9c5efeb9e112cc524.jpg

This Saturday, we played Sagrada, a pretty dice drafting game where you attempt to make "stained glass windows" following the various rules.  You can't have the same color or number orthogonality adjacent to another one, and there are some spots that have to be a specific color or number. 

1386459049_2019-03-1619_54_05.thumb.jpg.117be27e2ae6baf2a4e22f17249cd8c2.jpg

And finally we gave "Who Goes There?" a shot.  Based on the Thing, or the short story, you have to survive a bunch of rounds in horrible conditions before finally, hopefully, getting off on the helicopter.  The problem is, if the Thing gets off with you, the humans lose.  We didn't play a full game and lost anyway.  It was getting late though so everyone was ok with that.  

34068918_2019-03-1622_05_38.thumb.jpg.87170f4502d826cf36582a74f5222262.jpg

• Like 4

We did not get to play Imperial Assault (our third was unavoidably detained trying to keep the local base from flooding).  They gave up before the river did.

But we got a couple games anyway: Pinata (from Rio Grande Games), and Red November (OOP from Fantasy Flight Games).

Pinata was a fun enough game.  I'm going to keep it in mind for when the granddaughter gets a little older.  The basic idea is that you are trying to get the candies off the tile.  The tile is flipped, candies are reloaded, and play continues.  The flip switches the tile from "high score" to "low score" (or vice versa).  Each player plays UNO-esque cards to get either the lowest or highest score required (depends on the tile).  When you've collected enough candies of a particular color, you earn a "goal" card.  The first player to three of those cards wins.

Red November had the potential to get really out of control.  Each player controls a gnome on a sinking submarine.  You're trying to keep it from sinking.  The odds are NOT in your favor--The sub catches fire, springs leaks, gets attacked by a Kraken, etc.  Oh, and there's a time limit (on the board, not in RL).  Your actions have an associated time cost and various "bad things" can happen at any time.  The time tracking component is pretty interesting--any particular player can be tied up performing actions while the others are busy with other things.  They all catch up (eventually), but it's nifty.  This could be lethal as a drinking game if the players were to drink whenever the gnomes did.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Castle Panic (lost terribly):

20190319_143126.thumb.jpg.a48f6ac9f942910478863f5e07e391d5.jpg

Monopoly Gamer (youngest won):

20190319_151102.thumb.jpg.f81f6525cc90c1edf810d564f3b80e01.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/18/2019 at 8:34 PM, strawhat said:

We did not get to play Imperial Assault (our third was unavoidably detained trying to keep the local base from flooding).  They gave up before the river did.

Offutt?

5 hours ago, Chrome said:

Offutt?

Yup...although I think it might be SAC Lake now (and for the next few days).

9F7408A0-8216-4E1B-B45F-2C665412A36A.thumb.jpeg.5131c90ed7570584e9a7d29713fa73d0.jpeg

Got together with my kids in a pre-birthday celebration, and played their present for me, Pandemic Fall of Rome. I am sure we made a few mistakes, so we won at the easy setting. This variant is right in the family interest zone...

• Like 5

Played Exploding Kittens for the very first time last night with my nephew, his parents, and my Dad.

Had a lot of fun. I bought it for my brother in laws birthday. Of course he won both games.

Ages of the players ranged from 10 to 85 years. Nephew really got caught up with the suspense.

Might have to look into the expansions.

• Like 6

A couple of days ago hubby and I hit up one of the local board gaming cafés we like, and we gave My Little Scythe a try... 

IMG_20190316_213902.thumb.jpg.10f55f4c8044f0e8a7380c0ef81058e1.jpgIMG_20190316_213912.thumb.jpg.2a04f150745d517dd5f102cdc9c8934d.jpg

Barely managed a tie... Hubby is sneaky, delivering pie to win... So I used the PIE CANNON to tie :p

Seems like a fun game, doubly so since setup is about a third as intense as regular Scythe, and games take about a quarter of the time... ^_^

• Like 6

I went to PAX East this weekend and had the usual amount of A LOT OF fun.  

Pre-PAX I played Fuse.  A fun, timed dice game where you have to defuse a bomb.  Then another bomb.  Then another bomb.  It can get a bit stressful.  

Then I picked up my friend at the airport and forced her to play Thunderstone Quest with me 14 times over the course of the (long) weekend.  Thunderstone Quest is a deck builder with a fantasy theme.  The game is divided into 2 or 3 story chapters that you can play through.  The story and theme is a little weak (I was dual wielding, then triple wielding crossbows) but the game is fun and honestly made for some funny stories about the characters.  

1800332009_2019-03-2817_37_20.thumb.jpg.ec0c0662da46e2ce2a68bce20f2513ad.jpg

At the convention itself, we picked up (and played) Tiny Tina's Robot Tea Party.  It is a fairly simple beer and pretzels game with mechanics similar to Bears vs Babies, where you start with a CL4P-TP and try to get all the proper arms, hats and feet for it.  It fell a little flat with just two people, but would be better with a group, though I'd recommend that you are all fans of the Borderland franchise.  I also picked up a 2 player game there from Japan called Hatsuden where you build ecologically friendly power plants to power your cities to just the right power level.  The theme is a bit thin and I'm not a fan of the cards (small and square), but its not a bad game.  The cool thing is that the game isn't out in the US yet.  I think the copy I played was made for Europe.  

1313598958_2019-03-3015_15_19.thumb.jpg.2759025ecbca465ce47b4099d28674b1.jpg 1834182831_2019-04-0213_51_56.thumb.jpg.f9d0e5e8f105beac6fd4ca521a8faac5.jpg

Finally, I'm breaking the rules here since I didn't play this game yet, but I just needed to brag and show off a little bit.  At PAX I picked up Cowboy Bebop Boardgame Boogie and got it signed by the designer.  Its a co-op where you are flying around trying to do your quests while collecting bounties to stay in the money.  You lose when you run out of food!  It has some nice thematic touches like the bounties claiming to be for 1,5000,000 Woolongs, but only giving you 3000 "After Expenses".  Looking forward to getting this to the table and hoping it doesn't suck.  

36671993_2019-04-0118_27_27.thumb.jpg.3d5c605545b1b51ed11f03d70fa7165b.jpg

• Like 4

Went to a friend's birthday party this weekend and played a couple of games.

First was Clank! (basic game, basic map), which I lost horribly, though I was the only person to make it out of the dungeon. Too much damage and I'd have died had I stayed in any longer, so I just had to escape and hope. Hope is a terrible plan, but it was the best I had.

Then we played Tiny Epic Galaxies, which has been on my wishlist for quite a while. Excellent, extremely tight game. 25 - 25 - 24 - less, and "less" was the only person who had previously played the game. It's now coming off my wishlist and going into the mail to come to my house. ::D:

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

First was Clank! (basic game, basic map), which I lost horribly, though I was the only person to make it out of the dungeon. Too much damage and I'd have died had I stayed in any longer, so I just had to escape and hope. Hope is a terrible plan, but it was the best I had.

Being the one counting down the dragon attacks is rather fun though.....  It's a ton of fun with the expansions - my favourite expansion is the Egyptian one.

Not a fan of the red map on any of the boards though.  Man those are cruel o_O

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Being the one counting down the dragon attacks is rather fun though.....  It's a ton of fun with the expansions - my favourite expansion is the Egyptian one.

Not a fan of the red map on any of the boards though.  Man those are cruel o_O

That's my wife's favorite, too. I just ordered the newest board (since I was ordering Tiny Epic Galaxies anyway), Expeditions: Gold and Silk. I hope it's as good as the others.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

That's my wife's favorite, too. I just ordered the newest board (since I was ordering Tiny Epic Galaxies anyway), Expeditions: Gold and Silk. I hope it's as good as the others.

I'm.... Probably going to be buying Clank In Space alongside the Apocalypse expansion, all because a local store is having a sale on Reaper minis and they have a few that keep coming up on my list but I can get locally, in local currency, two of them for less than just one of them from Reaper directly... 

Sadly that same store is all out of copies of that expedition, but I'm going to have to find someone that does have a copy... 

• Like 1