Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

Whoo-hoo!  Game night!

Epic Spell Wars: Battle of Mt. Skullfyre from Cryptozoic was first up tonight.  I picked it up after watching it on TableTop because I thought it looked like a fun little game, not too complex, not too serious.  My kind of game.  I was not disappointed.  The game play was simple, fast (especially with only two players), and filled with sophomoric humor.  It would have definitely been better with a couple more players, and perhaps a couple beverages, but I'm not complaining.

After that we loaded up AEG's Thunderstone.  It was a nice little game.  We played the game with the first-timers' set up which limited the cards used.  It seemed a little dense to me at first, but after the first couple turns things sped up quickly once we got into the rhythm.  It was well worth the time spent, and I'm seriously considering picking up a copy.

• Like 1

I played Clank! last night with the Mummy's Curse expansion and the Penny Arcade/Upper Management expansion.  The Mummy's Curse adds a mummy (duh) and a two sided Pyramid/Sphinx board.  Upper Management adds unique starting decks and minis based on Penny Arcade's D&D characters.  I introduced two new people to the game and they loved it.

1956914806_2019-04-1019_53_29.thumb.jpg.c8560fc61dfd84ffe408502236d789e1.jpg

• Like 4

We pulled out Legendary at game night last night. Hadn't played it in a long time!  Deadpool wrote his own Plot, then led Mr Fantastic, Cyclops, Namor, and Shang-Chi (the Master of Kung Fu) thru it against Dr Doom. (Quite the team!)

We ended up winning with only 1 turn left in the game!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrome said:

We pulled out Legendary at game night last night. Hadn't played it in a long time!  Deadpool wrote his own Plot, then led Mr Fantastic, Cyclops, Namor, and Shang-Chi (the Master of Kung Fu) thru it against Dr Doom. (Quite the team!)

We ended up winning with only 1 turn left in the game!

Which expansions?

The Mrs. and I have been playing through the Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle cooperative deck building game. Our first game in this format, it's fun and I can tell that it would be an easy enough game for older kids to play too.  Limited to 4 players, and it steps up in complexity through each of the 7 games, and the first few games are very difficult to loose

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 5:37 PM, Talae said:

Which expansions?

I've got all of them up to the X-Men expansions, which I should have bought but didn't b/c a friend had them. We weren't playing enough to make keeping up worth it to me.

They're all mixed in together so I just let the guys each choose 1 hero and then we worked together to pick the others to fill in the holes. One guy picked the villain and I semi-randomly picked the plot.

I was able to play Tobago on Friday.  An interesting game where you hunt for treasures worth 2-5 points.  You place clue cards that narrow down the possible treasure locations and then try to pick up a treasure once it has been narrowed down to one space.  Finding the treasure gets you one slice of the find as well as first pick, but everyone gets shot of the treasure for each hint card placed down.  Its an interesting game and it has nice components, so it looks pretty sharp on the table.  

1792788913_2019-04-2619_48_36.thumb.jpg.69ce0acc21353246f3298687049de03d.jpg Tobago 3 quarters view

Tobago Treasures

• Like 6

We got in a three-fer last Friday.

First up was WizKids' Quarriors.  It was pretty similar to Thunderstone, but with dice instead of cards.  It played pretty quickly with just two players, and I think I preferred Thunderstone.  But I did like well enough that I'm considering picking up a Dicemasters game or two.  It turns out that I won...although I wasn't quite ready for it.

Next up was Via Appia from Queen Games.  This one had an interesting mechanic.  The method by which you acquire stones to build the Via Appia is similar to a "coin pusher" game.  If you manage to push any of the wooden discs off the apparatus, you can trade those in for small, medium, or large stones.  You build the roads.  Then you travel between the cities.  I focused on advancing between the cities while my opponent focused on filling in the road to completion.  It turns out that I won.

My opponent did a quick check of the "public" games available, and pulled out Splendor from Asmodee.  I gaffed a couple rules early on, but quickly caught on.  Some rounds even felt like we were playing "speed" picking up jewels and making purchases at a reckless speed.  It turns out that I won...although I wasn't quite ready for it.  My opponent counted up his points, and had enough.  I counted my points up, and also had enough to win.  I just hadn't realized earlier (I guess I was too busy planning my next buys and figuring out how quickly I could acquire the third noble).  I'm seriously considering picking this up for the wife's aunt and uncle...and maybe a copy for us...and maybe one for my folks to play with my nephews...

• Like 5

Oh, I actually have an entry for this thread! 

On Saturday night we had a friend over and we played a game I got for Christmas called Stupid Deaths. 

The objective is to make it around the board to the safe spot before the grim reaper catches you. You move by either correctly guessing if a death (read off a card) is true or false or by having you card incorrectly guessed at by the other players. 

The grim reaper did not actually catch me, but I didn't win. It was a lot of fun ^_^ 

• Like 6

Splendor is one of those nice, rules light games that are good, safe gifts for lots of people, including possibly yourself!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, strawhat said:

First up was WizKids' Quarriors.  It was pretty similar to Thunderstone, but with dice instead of cards.

Which version of Thunderstone are you playing?

We played Terraforming Mars at last week's game night. An old friend has rejoined us (we all used to play together in an X-Wing league before our small group split off and started playing boardgames once a week) and this was his first time playing, so I'm guessing that we'll play again tomorrow night to help continue his learning experience.

In related news, I've now entered week 3 of "shipping starts this week" for Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops, a board game I Kick Started. I'm going batty waiting for it to arrive, as I think it's going to become my favorite game. I spent time mocking up cards they showed off during the campaign and then filled in enough blanks to allow some friends and I to play by forum on Board Game Geek and we really enjoyed it.

e438061854fa733487c4216caa981b7e_original.png?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1520581619&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=c19013bfe90150a01c0d802d4e187594

• Like 3

Attended a local small con this weekend and played a few games. 

Hate: I really enjoyed this and may end up getting it at some point. 

Blood Rage: I didn’t do to well on this probably because I haven’t done many deck building games and didn’t get into the swing...until round two of three which isn’t very helpful. I would like to play again as it is pretty straight forward and appears to have great replay-ability appeal. 

Napoleonic's home brew skirmish game: Had fun and our side one, but the rules have a long way to go before they are consistent. 

In between sessions I got my son and our Mechs and Minions game and got a couple other folks to play...WE FINALLY WON THE FIRST MISSION! Whooo Hoooo.

• Like 2