Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

10 hours ago, Chrome said:

Which version of Thunderstone are you playing?

I honestly couldn't tell you, the game belongs to my friend.  I guess it has to have been an older version, though, as I haven't been able to spot it online or in AEG's catalog.

There are 3 versions. Thunderstone, Thunderstone Advanced, and Thunderstone Quest. Quest comes in a giant box, and has a board + tiles you use to build a dungeon. The previous versions only include cards, but I'm not sure how to tell the two apart. I only owned one set from Advanced.

I did a bit of digging and found the Thunderstone wiki.  It appears that we played the "Classic" Thunderstone base game (determined by the inclusion of cards which were allegedly rotated out in later editions).

We didn't have any expansions, and used the special "beginners" set up in the rules.

• Like 3

My family has been playing a lot of Fog of Love.  It's a quirky  little game and is a lot of fun, especially with a few spectators hanging around 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

My family has been playing a lot of Fog of Love.  It's a quirky  little game and is a lot of fun, especially with a few spectators hanging around 

Glad to hear you enjoy this one. I bought it on sale but it hasn't been played yet (just like too many others). 

• Like 1

First Tuesday is Monthly Board Game Night downtown.

This month the new game I played was Kingdom Builder.  Very easy to pick up the rules. Enjoyed the way the scoring objectives change. Would play again.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Talae said:

Glad to hear you enjoy this one. I bought it on sale but it hasn't been played yet (just like too many others). 

It's actually seen a surprising amount of play, even pulled out the first of the expansions.  What's kind of cool is that previous plays can affect new games.  Children and breakups can cause cards to be added which can occasionly majority shift the game direction or a players goals.

I was finally able to get Twilight Imperium 4th Edition to the table.  The game is designed around 6 players and we only were able to get 4 to the table.  The game does suffer a bit without the full player count, but it was still enjoyable and I was still happy to play it.  It does make me want to play the 6 player version a lot more though.  

Red and Black had a bit of an alliance that was bordering on unsporting, and that annoyed yellow a bit (especially since it was yellow's first game of TI, the rest of us have played the previous version), but otherwise it was a good game.

1142860199_2019-05-1114_31_29.thumb.jpg.86fcec147e88d379d89c40c6459913c9.jpg  936474640_2019-05-1114_31_09.thumb.jpg.f98a2a90bdff1a44195b072c09832633.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Unit04 said:

I was finally able to get Twilight Imperium 4th Edition to the table.  The game is designed around 6 players and we only were able to get 4 to the table.  The game does suffer a bit without the full player count, but it was still enjoyable and I was still happy to play it.  It does make me want to play the 6 player version a lot more though.  

Red and Black had a bit of an alliance that was bordering on unsporting, and that annoyed yellow a bit (especially since it was yellow's first game of TI, the rest of us have played the previous version), but otherwise it was a good game.

1142860199_2019-05-1114_31_29.thumb.jpg.86fcec147e88d379d89c40c6459913c9.jpg  936474640_2019-05-1114_31_09.thumb.jpg.f98a2a90bdff1a44195b072c09832633.jpg

I one this but have never been able to play with more than 4 people. I love the game but it is so massive that it's hard to get it out very often. Have a couple new acquaintances that really want to try it so hoping someday soon we'll play it.

Over the weekend we played a few games of Red Alert. It is based on the Command and Colors games. I've never played any of them so can't comment on any differences or similarities. Basically two large space fleets line up against each other. The first couple battles were with equal forces on a map with scattered asteroids. It's card driven so how many units you activate are based on the cards in your hand. I've never played games like that before so it takes a bit of getting used to.

Units are made up of 3 or 4 ships of the same type and the models basically work as hit point markers. There's no difference in the effectiveness of your squadron after taking damage. You're either full strength or dead. We kind of wonder if it wouldn't be better that a heavy (4 model) squadron gets an extra attack die and as you lose ships you lose attack dice. Haven't played enough to want to change anything yet. When squadrons are hit they may also take a Red Alert which makes them retreat and then weaker and immobile until fixed. This is a major part of the game and it takes a bit to wrap your head around how it works. Each turn you also get star tokens which are used to activate special moves and fix Red Alerts.

Other than Red Alerts and Star the game is very simple. Pick a card from you hand, Move and attack with the number of squadrons allowed by the card in the sectors on the card. There are special dice with red alerts, circles, triangles, squares, bursts and stars on them. To attack you check the range chart for you squadron and roll as many dice as indicated. For example a fighter squadron can roll 3 dice at close range and 1 at 2 hexes. A battleship squadron can roll 3 dice at up to 3 hexes and 1 die at 4 hexes. Each type of squadron is associated with one of the shapes on the dice. If you roll that shape they lose a ship. Any bursts also count as hits except that larger ships can ignore 1 or more bursts from a smaller ship. So as an example a fighter squadron attacks some cruisers and rolls 3 dice. They get a blue triangle, burst and red alert. The cruisers lose 1 model, ignore the burst because they're bigger and have to retreat because of the red alert. If the cruisers had shot the fighters with the same roll (substituting green circle for blue triangle) the fighters would lose 2 ships because of the burst not being able to be ignored.

All in all a quick and fun game but not sure if it's something I'd want to play a lot of. But the models are also perfect for other games like Full Thrust so I'll be painting them and using them for as many things as I can.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Zink said:

Over the weekend we played a few games of Red Alert. It is based on the Command and Colors games. I've never played any of them so can't comment on any differences or similarities. Basically two large space fleets line up against each other. The first couple battles were with equal forces on a map with scattered asteroids. It's card driven so how many units you activate are based on the cards in your hand. I've never played games like that before so it takes a bit of getting used to.

I have and like quite a few of the Richard Borg games. The price on this one seems pretty high (a bit over $100US at the usual place); do you see the value in what you get?

• Like 1

One of my buddies owns TI4 and has been dying to get a game going, but we can never get enough ppl together at one time. (Note that means "not enough ppl that he's willing to play with". :lol: )

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My six year old wanted to play Forbidden Desert this weekend. I was a little reluctant, but we had a good time and he even paid attention most of the time ::D:  .....and we won!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Chrome said:

One of my buddies owns TI4 and has been dying to get a game going, but we can never get enough ppl together at one time. (Note that means "not enough ppl that he's willing to play with". :lol: )

I'll be honest, I don't blame him.  You want to pick who you play this game with.  Its a long game to start with and if you get someone who like to think through every move thoroughly and you've increased the game time by a couple of hours.  Or if you get someone you can only tolerate for a little bit at a time, you'll be at the end of your rope well before the game is over.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I have and like quite a few of the Richard Borg games. The price on this one seems pretty high (a bit over $100US at the usual place); do you see the value in what you get?

At Kickstarter pricing, yes. I went in for everything. The base game is probably worth that. It's a heavy box with a lot of components. I'm also looking at it from the point of view of the cost of similar spaceships. These remind me a lot of Bones and other pvc minis so not the best quality but they cost very little compared to similar sized metal ships even if you aren't interested in the rest of the things. I'm not sure the expansions would be worth it though. I haven't really looked at them closely but most didn't give me much material. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was up way too late on Sunday night (yesterday was rough on 3 hours of sleep...) playing Sagrada and Xenoshyft:Onslaught.  2 very different games and it was a good night.  We even almost won Xenoshyft...  almost...  

For those unfamiliar with them, Sagrada is a point scoring dice placement game (think crossword puzzle with colored dice) and Xenoshyft is a card-based cooperative "tower placement" game  where you try to defend your based from unending aliens.  Both games cap at 4 players.  

• Like 4