Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

We played the co-op version of Sprawl Ops last night. This was a KS-only* expansion of the game  and we used a special KS-only board designed for co-op play. Instead of competing to be the first shadowrun team to defeat the Final Mission, in co-op mode you face the "Black Lodge"; a shadow group who's attempting to take over the city and your teams have to work together to stop them. Co-op adds a few new mechanics to the game and replaces the Final Mission with a # of Black Lodge Missions equal to the # of players.

I'm not gonna bore everyone with the added rules, but it really did make the game a lot more interesting. And a lot more harder! There's tons of more dice rolling (which is good, but is why the game takes longer) and it requires a totally different mindset and strategy from the basic version of the game.

I really liked it. I'm not one of those people who plays board games by themselves, but I can definitely see myself playing this one solo a few times. Probably controlling 2 or 3 teams tho, instead of just 1 like the solo rules suggest.

*If you're really interested in this game when it hits retail, Catalyst and Lynnvander *may* have a few copies of this stuff available to buy at GenCon and other conventions. At least that was their plan, but the shipping problems they've had have negatively impacted their inventory so they may not have any.

• Like 4

We played London this weekend, where you are rebuilding the city of London after the great fire.  It is not really an engine builder and not really a tableau builder, but a little bit of both.  You can build up your city, "run" your city or purchase a borough to increase your prestige (points).  Running your city gets you money to do these things, but also increases your poverty, so you need to balance that out.  You need to keep on getting cards to fill your city since most cards are basically a one shot ability.  

Fun game with unique mechanics and an interesting balancing act with poverty to keep you from doing too much or too little.

191850698_2019-06-2921_19_31.thumb.jpg.869218cd178244c935022b90d38f0447.jpg 650469663_2019-06-2921_48_16.thumb.jpg.9368809d3d497c67e8929de2d0c73a67.jpg

1698272009_2019-06-2921_35.11-1.thumb.jpg.3a8f80b5200453388f10325df7b0ee0c.jpg

• Like 5

Did you enjoy Reef?  It got a lot of love when it came out.

2 hours ago, Unit04 said:

Did you enjoy Reef?  It got a lot of love when it came out.

We have played it twice and have enjoyed it each time. My youngest (6) doesnt do as well with points for this one due to the need to look ahead more than he used to. That being said, he still enjoys it. It fits right in with difficulty and table time with things like Azul, Sushi Go Party, and Drop It. Glad we own it.

• Like 3

Got in quite a few weekday games in this week (and hopefully a number more coming up this weekend):

Couple of plays of Azul:

20190703_152510.thumb.jpg.3f6b71b6f39a9b43aaae6945903bd0d4.jpg

20190703_103014.thumb.jpg.97392e8fdabceafd03d53a949075d373.jpg

Some oldschool Jenga:

20190702_174157.thumb.jpg.ad3628e239595962ae4c2422ee457ec1.jpg

Couple of plays of Love Letter - Batman:

20190704_124735.thumb.jpg.7028c1552b19d30513747f22b4a41203.jpg

20190704_133518.thumb.jpg.31446267c10d020dbc56c9daa7f29d1d.jpg

Legendary - Marvel:

20190703_202326.thumb.jpg.c40d42b1f4d9e7eceac0d52c4f68cb8c.jpg

Cthulhu Wars (8 year old daughter almost won):

20190705_132257.thumb.jpg.aa6298ee13e2d98908af99463c335969.jpg

Unlock! - The Tonipal's Treasure (pic of tutorial to avoid spoilers):

20190702_170229.thumb.jpg.3604c59d61c36acd031dae7b811ff9a9.jpg

Star Wars - Outer Rim:

20190705_222220.thumb.jpg.eef0e8e1ca079a5e14b16f16dfaa7991.jpg

20190705_222154.thumb.jpg.fde901112ea09117a6fc0c7ba87799ad.jpg

Feel free to follow me on Twitter for more pics and other stuff like this: @AaronOnTheTable or join the Facebook group: "On The Table"

• Like 4

Last night we got together and played ticket to ride New York which was very well done.  It's smaller and quicker than the standard game but still has all the fun in less time and a smaller package.

That triggered a desire to play ticket to ride 1910 to compare.  Both have their points, New York being a little tighter and stripped to the essentials of the game where there is a lot of room for diverse strategies in the classic game (1910 adds more ticket cards and has bigger cards for older eyes ;) )

We finished the night with a 6 player Catan game.  I still like this game in it's base form.  The expansions are  neat but the core game is what we keep coming back to.

Hope to play El Dorado tomorrow before MrsRex leaves on a trip down south for a week.  We'll see...

• Like 3

Warhammer's old 'Tragedy of McDeath' campaign.

I've been trying to find and collect the figures for that (with 'Blood Bath at Orc's Drift' and 'Terror of the Lich Lord') for years, but recently decided that it was never going to happen and that proxies were acceptable.

I never could understand why Games Workshop didn't update and re-release these awesome sets.

Image result for the tragedy of mcdeathImage result for the tragedy of mcdeath

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I've got three of those figures... somewhere.

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

• Haha 4

Banquo, Julia McEwman, Arka Zargul and (now I think about it) Knight of Harkness as well.

All pretty hideously painted.

What is this "give" concept you are talking about? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Over the Fourth we played a couple rounds of Call to Adventure. Really fun storytelling sort of game with some great tactile components and a clear graphic design. 

This is a player board at the very beginning of the game:

IMG_20190704_182411227.thumb.jpg.ebdfb84e30826505ca3b41e93ba2da88.jpg

Players start with three cards: an origin (Conscript, in the above), a motivation (Lone Wanderer) and a Destiny (hidden face down, you can see the edge of the card at right). Already there's a story unfolding: this hero was drafted into an army and is now the only survivor of a terrible defeat. Or is perhaps a deserter. It's possible to play without coming up with the story as you go, but we are a family of storytellers, so this is a really fun part for us. Players collect further story cards over the course of the game, fleshing out whatever destiny they have hidden away.

Currently only an up-to-four-player game, although it worked well for only two and has both versus and co-op modes for any number of players, plus a solo mode. My understanding is they're working on an expansion that will bump it to six players possible... And that expansion will be based on Patrick Rothfuss' "Name of the Wind" books.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Beagle said:

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

Give them to  me

I have the heavily armoured elf in the top left corner and I think the knight of H(can't read) near the bottom left. If you're interested in them send me a pm. The elf doesn't have his slotta tab and is painted the other one is bare metal (if that's the mini I have) and I might have the plastic shield.

• Like 1

Tried five new to me games at Dice Tower Con, thanks to the impressive library of games: 

King of Tokyo - good party game, but no substance.

Ticket to Ride - solid game, preferred Ticket to Ride Europe over the base game.

Castle Panic - didn't hold our interest but would be good with kids.

Memoir 44 - a little wargame, lots and lots of scenarios out there, not for everyone. I have friend who would probably enjoy playing the game with me.

Terraforming Mars - fun engine builder that somehow reminded me of 7 Wonders. Definitely a heavier game. Thanks to Aaron for teaching us the game.

Also picked up Runebound 2nd edition at the con flea market, haven't played it yet.

If you ever get the chance to attend Dice Tower Con I highly recommend  it. Medium sized con with a huge open gaming area and an impressive library of games to try out, lots of friendly people.

• Like 3