Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

3 hours ago, Talae said:

Got in some Cthulhu Wars (gave away prizes for this), One Deck Dungeon, and Fallout (not pictured):

20190707_012618.thumb.jpg.793cf441a7d09de76f6638a3d612fd78.jpg

Hang on, who's the weirdo with hair and no glasses?

• Haha 6

Got to play 'The Quest for El Dorado' last night.  we had a good time with it until the second game.  At which point we missed a small point in the rules and my younger son managed find a mechanic setting up his hand to be a rinse and recycle that just kept his hand in play.  Turns out there was a rule to prevent exactly this problem but we missed it at the time. 

Over all though both games were fun and I look forward to playing again.  The fact that it only takes 30 minutes even for a difficult board doesn't hurt either!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Got to play 'The Quest for El Dorado' last night.  we had a good time with it until the second game.  At which point we missed a small point in the rules and my younger son managed find a mechanic setting up his hand to be a rinse and recycle that just kept his hand in play.  Turns out there was a rule to prevent exactly this problem but we missed it at the time. 

Over all though both games were fun and I look forward to playing again.  The fact that it only takes 30 minutes even for a difficult board doesn't hurt either!

Have that one on the shelf and not even opened yet. Hope to get it to the table soonish.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Talae said:

Have that one on the shelf and not even opened yet. Hope to get it to the table soonish.

Its fun but make sure you read the rules on card use vs discard or someone will figure out the recycle game and create a neverending story...

• Like 1

I played godswar yesterday. it was OK, but the game just didn't work with someone playing chaos in a 3 player game. made it so it was almost impossible to close the chaos portal without chaos getting uncatchably far ahead

• Like 3

More like this one I'm afraid.

image.png.f09667bc1eafc1f426b52b239a127ce4.png

ask someone who has dealt with a cycling deck in Magic or dominion.  without interrupts it can be a problem.  but as i said, that was a problem with us mis-reading the rules, not with the game.  And he did have a great time trouncing the rest of us!

• Like 2

We have started to play Middara recently.  Yesterday was our second day and it was still in, mostly, training mode.  We will actually have to buy our own equipment and what not going into the next session.  

It is similar, in concept, to Gloomhaven.  It is a story driven dungeon crawl with customization characters.  Middara differs from Gloomhaven pretty substantially in theme, complexity and randomness.  I will say that I prefer the way enemies and enemy AI works in Middara, but it isn't strictly better.  I think if you played Gloomhaven at the frequency we plan on playing Middara, we could easily get the enemy AI down since it is the same for everyone.  

There is a LOT of story involved in this and it is very anime.  We are doing some of that between sessions and sometimes it leads to interesting choices, but I am finding that there is too much story for me.  I'd prefer if it was a bit leaner in parts, story wise.  While it is cool that Succubus Publishing hired people to read it like you would find with an audio book, so you can listen to a professional instead of reading it aloud, I feel that it also takes me out of the game, sitting there just listening to something.   

So I like it, and look forward to playing it again, but its not for everyone and it can be boring at times.  Specifically when you aren't playing.

• Like 3

Played Keys To The Castle tonight for the first time.

A fun and easy tile unveil game. 

Quick setup and play. Would make for a good game to take to a con, camping, or anywhere a wide age range of possible players might be,

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 5

Went to a gaming convention today. We got there just after lunch and everything was pretty dead. Almost as many workers as participants. It had various video games as well as boardgames. My kids and I tried out Pandemic Contagion by ourselves and messed up a bit not really enjoying it much. Then one of the workers suggested Tsuro. As it was so quiet he got a couple other workers to join in. Fast fun game that we all really enjoyed. Thinking of buying it some time.

Basically you lay tiles that have 2 paths on them. Your token starts on a hash mark on the edge of the board that corresponds to one of the paths. Paths can twist and turn in various ways. When you place a tile your token follows the path to the edge of the new tile. The goal is to be the last player on the board. If someone places a tile next to the one with another player's token it works the same as if the owner had placed a tile and the token moves. So if you're next to other players it's possible for them to force you off the board. If two players end up on the same path and collide they both lose. Sometimes players get stuck and have to play tiles that force their token off the board. We played 3 games with 5 and 6 players in under an hour. I got lucky and won one of them.

• Like 4

Tsuro is a great game and deserves to be in most any game collection. It is one game that people know how to play before they even realize it. We have played with three year olds and with 90+ year old. Great game!

• Like 5

I just looked it up and have 28 plays with 23 unique players recorded for Tsuro. It has to fall into the category of one of our cheapest games per play, especially when factoring in player count.

• Like 3

Went to Connecticon this weekend.  A big game room coupled with the CT Independent Game Show equaled a bunch of games available to play.  I spent a bunch of playing RPGs and in the dealers hall, bit I still goy in a few games.

Underlings and Underwings.  A worker plavemnet game where you collect gems to hatch dragon eggs.  You are able to combine primary color to make secondary colored gems and complementary colors also come into play.  I bought this one.

Played Someone has Died.  A party improv game where the players are people at a reading of a will.  The executor hamds out random attributes amd card for how you know the decedemt and the players make their case as to who gets the bequests.  Things change during the game and the players have sabatoge cards.  I got this game as well.

This, Wizard was a wizard duel deck where you build a 9 card spell deck out of available cards (each player has the same cards availble to them).  You then duel each other.  Ot goes to KS in a month or two.

There was a game where you played as torturers.  You compete for prisoners by usimg diffent methods on them.  The highest value (-1 to 5) wins, unless the combined value of all played cards exceed the break value of the prisoner. Then the low card wins.  There is also a shame mechanic involved.  This also will go to KS in the near future.  Was a quick fun game with some strategy as you use arch card once until you have only one remaining and then rest become available again.

I played a fun concept game that was valkaries in Valhalla serving vikimgs in the afterlife.  It Was a worker placement/dexterity stacking game.  Not sure if it will reach production as right now the stack pieces are wood disks glued together and 200+ pieces are needed.

• Like 4

On 7/6/2019 at 8:32 PM, DocPiske said:

Terraforming Mars - fun engine builder that somehow reminded me of 7 Wonders. Definitely a heavier game. Thanks to Aaron for teaching us the game.

Mars is one of those games that seems heavy at first, but half-way thru your second game it seems to click and by game 3 you wonder why you were ever confused. Yes there's a lot going on, but it all makes sense in a real-world way that few other games do, to the point that the mechanics become transparent. (At least that's been my experience playing with about a dozen different people.)

• Like 1

Guy at work had a board game birthday party.  He asked me to bring Betrayal at House on the Hill ( its my daughters game).  So I played that for the first time.  Played a scenario with a ghost bride.  We were actually well set up went the haunt started.  Already had the item, my dumb jock got the clue on the first knowledge roll,  then everything went to help as we were all trapped in the basement with no way out as the traitor took control of the mystic elevator.  We we're eventually able to get out and only lost one person on our run to the victory condition. 8/10 will play again.

Then we played the improv party game, Someone Has Died.  It is not a game to play with bruised ribs as the laughing is painful.  One person is adjudicating the contents of a will (in our two games it was a reverse mermaid and a mob boss who perished).  The players need to improv based upon their identity, relationship and background cards.  As time goes on, more background cards get added and the players can earn and use sabatoge cards.  It ia quote fun and should be an excellent game for RCon.

• Like 5