Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

We played Star Wars Outer Rim two weeks ago at game night. It was interesting, but I'm not sure if it'll come out too often. Naturally we loved the theme, but the game itself seemed kinda lacking. I thought it was lacking compared to Firefly or Emergence Event, and the board didn't really make much sense for a game about space travel.

• Like 2

Had my first game of 7th Continent today with the housemate.

We killed and ate some sort of Land Squid, I took a cross off a grave to use as a walking stick and we stole a submarine, fun times.

Really enjoyed it and I'm glad I picked it up while I had the chance, and I think the housemate enjoyed it too (it can be hard to tell sometimes).

• Like 3

It's been a while since my last entry, and I've been meaning to write one for a two weeks ago.  So tonight will be a double-shot!

Two Weeks Ago:

One of our trio is out on leave, so it's just been two of us most of the summer.  The good news is it gives D (not his name) a chance to dig games out that his wife won't play, or gets him some experience in teaching someone how to play.  So when D opened the bag he had: Star Trek Fleet Captain from Wizkids, Mr. Jack Pocket Edition from Hurrican, Greedy Dragons from Evil Hat, Internal Affairs from Cryptozoic Entertainment, Crimson Skies from FASA (not the clix version!), and a maybe another box.

First up was Star Fleet Captains!

D picked the Klingons and I had Star Fleet.  He gave me a brief overview of the rules, we set up the cards, the play space, randomly selected our play decks, and got to it.  Some of the nuances took me a few turns to get down, but it happened quickly.  The flow of the game definitely was thematic, and it "felt" much like Star Trek should.  I was spending my time exploring my side of the play space (somewhat brazenly, but "to boldly go"--y'know?) while D was being more subtle.  He didn't even cloak a ship until turn three or four.  We were both collecting agendas/missions, but right as we were about to meet I veered to the other side of the board away from him.  Then a chance encounter sidelined one of his ships.  I noticed that his remaining craft were making their way to pick off one of my ships, so I swung the Voyager over and made a "too easy" target of it.  He took the bait, I stopped the combat with a card...preventing him from completing one of his agendas.  Then I moved in and double-teamed the sidelined vessel to complete that encounter and two of my agendas at the same time.  I squeaked by and left a somewhat stunned D staring at the field.

We pulled Mr. Jack out next.

The rule book in this game is deceptive.  It's actually pretty thick considering that there are something like 33 pieces to the game (including the 9 piece play area, 3 detectives, 9 card suspect deck, eight turn tokens, and four action tokens).  One player is Holmes, Watson, and Toby (the dog) and the other is Mr. Jack.  Holmes and Watson (and Toby) have been brought in to try to find Mr. Jack before he gets away and manages to keep doing what he does (which, I'm told, involves a delightful kidney pie).  Mr. Jack is naturally trying to get away and potentially ruin the stellar reputations of Holmes and Watson (and Toby) while advancing his culinary career.

Or something like that.

The nine play space tiles are randomized (suspect side up) in a 3x3 square.  Holmes and Watson (and Toby) move around the outside of the square peering luridly down alleyways trying to get a glimpse of Mr. Jack and keep him in their sites.  Mr. Jack is scampering around trying to buy time and sow confusion until the 8th turn and his escape.  The "winner" of each turn is determined by whether or not Mr. Jack has been spotted by the detectives (and Toby), or whether he is out of sight.  The action tokens allow you to move the detectives (and Toby) around the board, rotate board tiles, swap board tiles, or draw a suspect card.  Mr. Jack was originally caught off-guard, and seen by the detectives straight away.  We removed the suspects that were out of line of sight, and Mr. Jack realized that his best strategy was to remain VISIBLE with as many other suspects as possible for a short time.  Jack worked to keep the various lines of sight as open as possible as the detectives (and Toby) worked their way around the board.  This let the peeping toms (and Toby) "win" multiple rounds while Mr. Jack kept working to create false trails, getting the detectives (and Toby) to spend their time looking at dead ends, and by taking suspect cards.  By the last round the detectives (and Toby) were quite flummoxed and Mr. Jack had created enough false leads to buy himself enough time to escape.  I won: Kidney pie for everyone!

We met again last night, but D hadn't had enough time pick a bunch of new games so he swapped out Star Fleet Captain with another game (which I forget) and we took a look at mostly the same other games in the bag.

We started with Mr. Jack again, although I was now portraying the heroic detectives while D skulked about the East End.  Through some solid detective work and clever use of Toby's keen senses the heroes brought light and safety to the Whitechapel by turn 5 as Mr. Jack was the only suspect still on the board.  Toby is such a good boy.

We lined up Greedy Dragons after that.

Each player represents a dragon (plus a "dummy" dragon in the two-player version) who has return victorious from raiding a nearby kingdom.  You spend your time renovating your lair and trying to undermine the lairs of the other dragons in an attempt to capture more of the spoils.  This is accomplished by playing cards that indicate a combination of positive and negative treasure cards being awarded/removed and by a series of arrows that indicate which player(s) gain/lose said treasures.  We quickly snagged the treasures from the draw pile, and had very little luck stealing any away from each other (although we cleaned the dummy out).  When we had made our last changes to our lairs we counted our spoils and my dragon was left with a series of empty vaults (determined randomly based on the treasure cards) and a handful of actual treasure, while D's dragon did very well for itself clearly taking more treasures and having found the magic ring which is worth 10 points (that one card was worth as much as all the treasure that I had successfully secured).

D asked me if I felt like something easy or more of a "brain melter" for our last game.  I chose the easy route, and D pulled out Crimson Skies (the old FASA game--not the Clix version).  I got a "quick" reading of the rules, spacing many of them, and we go down to business.  We didn't do anything special, I don't even know if the aircraft were balanced to match each other in combat.  I had an Avenger and a Warhawk, while D had a Fury and a Peacemaker...I think.  Movement is plotted out ahead of the turn, so it's easy to find yourself out of position with a bad choice, and firing seems to only be from your forward hex-edge.  It can take some work to line up your shots.  Your weapons do damage based on a template and you mark off armor and other "trivial" bits of your aircraft (like the guns, fuel tanks, canopy, etc.) based on that.  For the sake of simplicity we kept it to armor piercing rounds, and eschewed rockets and other types of ammo (magnesium, dum-dums, etc.).

D headed for the center of the map while I circled to the outside and aimed inward.  I quickly caught his Fury in my sights and chewed through some of his armor.  We lost each other briefly after that, and then I lucked into a spot on the 6 of his Fury despite my Warhawk being the inferior craft.  I kept him in my sights for a couple turns before all our craft crossed in the middle leaving me with the Fury lined up for both my Avenger and Warhawk (and barely missing the Peacemaker as we were in the same hex).  All my damage was spread out over the Fury, so we wheeled again.  The next couple turns D managed to line up my Avenger and whittle away some armor puncturing one of my fuel tanks and the canopy.  This led us to a quirky situation where his Fury was being tailed by my Avenger, which was being tailed by his Peacemaker, which was being tailed by my Warhawk.   Because of the tailing, he had to tell me where the Fury was going, I had to tell him whether my Avenger would be going to the left, to the right, or straight, and he had to tell me the same thing about his Peacemaker...leaving my Warhawk as the only craft able to do it's own thing (which would be to trail the Peacemaker or support the Avenger).  We wheeled again and prepared for what would be the final run at each other.  By this time, the Avenger had lost much of the port wing and the Fury was missing most of its tail (and some chunks out of the starboard wing).  The Peacemaker was untouched and the Warhawk had suffered only minor damage.  I had again managed to lock the Fury in the sights of both of my planes who are faster on the draw...so they opened up and my Avenger ended up ripping the starboard wing off the Fury which plummeted to the ground.  The Peacemaker bugged out (because it was late and we were tired) and I earned a victory!

• Like 3

Played my first games of Ticket To Ride this past week while on vacation visiting family.

Really enjoyed it although I’ve yet to win a game. That’s a good sign.

Would buy a copy if I had a regular gaming group.

• Like 6

Played Megaland for the first time. We liked it quite a bit. Decent choice for a Target clearance purchase. 

20190810_214016.thumb.jpg.4ac17911a1f01900985562b3be390b1c.jpg

• Like 3

Just played Throw Throw Burrito with my friends. Early backer for it on Kickstarter, and it was terrific fun. It's a dodgeball card game, really fun.

10 hours ago, Talae said:

Played Megaland for the first time. We liked it quite a bit. Decent choice for a Target clearance purchase. 

20190810_214016.thumb.jpg.4ac17911a1f01900985562b3be390b1c.jpg

What's it like?

• Like 2

Played 4 rounds of Star Realms in an orginized play tournament today.  I went undefeated until the final and then was beat by they guy I beat in the second round.  Which was actually good because he won a playmate, and I won the Colony Wars copy of the base game.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

What's it like?

A super simple push your luck game.

You get 4 hearts for health and decide to go adventure. Each card you flip earns you a treasure. Most have monsters that take some of your hearts. If you stop and return home with hearts, you keep your treasures. If you lose all your hearts, you drop all treasure.

You use treasures to buy buildings. Some of these earn coins (victory points - 20 coins wins), but many do other interesting things too.

It plays in 15-20 minutes once you figure it out and doesn't require everyone to have super proficient reading skills since there is no hidden info and relatively minimal text (which is a bonus with a first grader).

It will be a nice segway to Above and  Below for our house.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Played KingDomino last week with the kids (7&10) for the first time, second time for me.  Simple domino-based kingdom building game.  I think another game or 2 will be needed before they really get the hang of it, but by the end, with a little help from Mrs. Rahz and I, we finished the game with smiles all 'round.  

Next up is Sagrada, which I think they will like as they both love rolling dice.  

Lastly, we played our first game of MTG with the kids over the weekend with their new Planeswalker decks I picked up.  Lots of fun and good reading practice for them too.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rahz said:

Next up is Sagrada, which I think they will like as they both love rolling dice.  

My worry is that Sagrada is a bit more of a puzzle and things sometimes don't fit.  I haven't made it through a game without everyone in the game making at least one mistake we discovered later.  Thankfully it is somewhat generous about that but it may cause some frustration.  It is colorful and lots of dice rolling so there is that.  Good luck with it and I hope it works out well!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just home from a small board game con.

Played a lot of new games. Some favorites were Wingspan, Istanbul, Space Base and Sagrada.  Repeat games I'd played before were Grimm Forest and Reef.

I played more games and would comment more on them all if I wasn't in that post con brain fried stage. :wacko:

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Unit04 said:

My worry is that Sagrada is a bit more of a puzzle and things sometimes don't fit.  I haven't made it through a game without everyone in the game making at least one mistake we discovered later.  Thankfully it is somewhat generous about that but it may cause some frustration.  It is colorful and lots of dice rolling so there is that.  Good luck with it and I hope it works out well!  

This was pretty much my experience with it. I bought it hoping that my wife would like it but all of the small tedious rules kept tripping her up. I tried it again with my parents and they had the same problems, so I ended up selling it.

I played some 51st State last night.  I really enjoy the game and it was my #1 game I owned for a while, but it has been a long time since I got it to the table.  I royally messed up my first turn and because of that I was basically a round behind everyone else.  In an engine building game, that's really really bad.  Still I had lots of fun and introduced a couple people to the game.  And coming in last isn't the worst when teaching new players.  

• Like 2

Board game night last night!  We played some Antike, which is a 2005 game, and looks like a 1970's game.  It is a pretty interesting and fun game where you collect victory points by doing various things like building a bunch of temples, having a bunch of cities or burning down other people's temples.  The turns went pretty quickly for the most part but the game was a little long.  Another thing I didn't like about it was that two of us (Greece and Rome) started in the middle of the board with no compensation.  We could be attacked from all sides, while the others basically had one major opponent to face (the ones in the middle).  The rondel for picking your actions was neat, and made for some tough choices.  You can go 1-3 spaces forward for free, but paid a resource for each additional space.  Resources you need for picking up items are 4 spaces away from the items you could use them for.  

Overall it was fun but flawed.  The rules were actually very easy to pick up.  I'd probably play it again but it wouldn't be my first choice.

The board mid game.  I was red.    

Antike.thumb.jpg.971555022c282062a5b2bb33e02c1c3c.jpg

A good shot of the rondel from my seat.  

203614324_2019-08-2120_58_58.thumb.jpg.95ed72a57cc6be7fea919a7259861e28.jpg

• Like 2

So the FLGS is no more.  They closed for good right around Labor Day.  So we tried to move to "the" local shop that's been around since I don't even know when.  They were full up on M:tG, so we tried the next option.

And I may have a new FLGS.  The only problem is that shop is across town from pretty much all three of us (as we're all rather centrally located).

But, more to the point, we checked out the game library and pulled Five Tribes down.  D gave the rules a quick go-through.  I mostly nodded and pretended I remembered what he was saying.  After we got through a couple turns it all started to gel.  I will admit that I was having trouble remembering which tiles on which tiles to start and finish my moves.  What little strategy I had was mostly "damage control" and "buy djinn."  It almost worked, but I blew a couple key turns by not aggressively pursuing a beneficial turn order and by not collecting anything more than a couple fakirs.  There is definitely a lot of options to pursue victory, and you'll probably need more than one.

I really did like the game, even if I wasn't quite up to the mental challenge of keeping my eyes on so many variables.

• Like 2