Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

5 hours ago, Unit04 said:

Yep.  Except when it is not.  One of the great things about Legendary is how many different schemes there are and how flexible the game is.  At least one scheme (though I believe several) add heroes to the villain deck or villains to the hero deck.  Additionally, specific characters and groups interact with various decks in different ways.  The mastermind Mysterio (who I love playing with) takes the Master Strikes, so he needs to be sleeved like the villains, and the mastermind Shiklah (Deadpool's bride) has a Deadpool card you can rescue and add to your deck, so she needs to be sleeved like a hero.  The villain group Infiinity Gems (who come with Thanos) enter your deck as cards you can use once you beat them, as does the Asgardian henchmen group.  And that's just off the top of my head, there may be more.  

So you can weed out your sets to make sure you never play with those cards or schemes, or just sleeve/unsleeve everything the same.  

Sounds like I need to resleeve it all the same, lol. Thanks

• Like 2

I've never even bothered sleeving my Legendary set. Core + all those expansions = me broke.

I did however sleeve my Dragonfire set b/c you have to put those plastic clips on the cards to track dmg and I don't want to scratch up the cards.

• Like 1

Also, last weekend was NukeCon here in Omaha and this year was my 20th time attending! Better yet, my buddy @FreeFall managed to make it down from Sioux Falls this year. This used to be an annual event for us when we ran CAV and Warlord events (if you played Warlord, FF was the guy who wrote the Overlords book) but he hasn't been able to attend often the past several years, so we had a great weekend. Lots of jokes about how old we're getting, and wondering how the hell we used to be able to stay up 'til 2-4 AM playing something and still get back on the con floor at 9 AM to run demos and events all day long. :lol:

I got in several games over the weekend, but not as many as I'd hoped b/c we mostly picked long/complex games that were new to half of us.

Star Trek: Frontiers

The Dresden Files card game (x2)

Shadowrun Sprawl Ops

Dragonfire - we played 5 player with 3 newbies, and won, which was great!

The Networks

That's me on the left of the pic, and FreeFall is at the end of the table.

IMG_20191005_211615.jpg

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Chrome said:

I've never even bothered sleeving my Legendary set. Core + all those expansions = me broke.

I didn't plan on sleeving my cards until one of my friends "shuffled" his deck by putting all the cards face down on the table and "washing" them all around the table.  I twitched a bit.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Don't get me wrong, I do sleeve a lot of my games. I sleeve the cards that we're actively using for DragonFire, and I sleeved my Legendary Predator set after an especially sweaty-handed guy sat in with us one night. :lol:  But there's just too many cards in my Marvel set for me to consider doing now, and to be honest it doesn't hit the table all that much anymore.

• Like 1

Since my last post (six days ago?) we have played:

Codenames Pictures x4

Monster Factory

Super-Vampire

Downforce

Copenhagen

Zen Master

Skull King x2

Quest for El Dorado

Rhino Hero - Super Battle x2

Everdell

I also hit the goal of 50 newly played games this year with Everdell tonight (out of the 181 plays this year)! Now to try and use that momentum to finish out so.e other goals.

Some pics, but definitely not all:

20191017_221104.thumb.jpg.f25d7e2b971b57a40bc10bd1ab8d267e.jpg

20191017_114653.thumb.jpg.b46ac0039176305139351e2e80c7d7b2.jpg

20191017_105208.thumb.jpg.5864193910f754418a71e668eaaede84.jpg

20191016_204124.thumb.jpg.d25d5dd40c0520e94963cd261953bb3c.jpg

• Like 5

Ok, back to Marvel Legendary.  This weekend I played two games of it, once with a new player and then again when two of my other friends showed up.  We decided to recreate "The Avengers" movie, the advantage being that it used things from the base game so it wasn't too complicated for the new players.  I'm already coming up with other card combinations for more MCU movies.  

Legendary.thumb.jpg.d7708aa6e8ae6f21ddf81faa8e4f927f.jpg

When that was done, we also played Azul.  Fun game that is pretty easy to learn.  I never win though.  Its pretty too.  Too bad I didn't take any pictures of it.  

• Like 3

Does Hammerschlagen count?  I am not good at hammerschlagen.

2019-10-29.thumb.jpg.5f661495a2c4a66b830b80caaf795262.jpg

Also Ticket to Ride and Fireball Island, the new version.  Those games I can win.  Fireball Island was a bit more complex than it appears at first glance, and I think that is to its detriment.  It is fun still, but a bit more book keeping than was expected.  

2019-10-25.thumb.jpg.4c2714b0edd05c8ef592084c8cd2675f.jpg

• Like 7

Book keeping in Fireball Island? It must have changed a bunch from the original I had. Still have the board and a few pieces but my nephew lost and wrecked most of it when he was a kid. 

• Like 1

So, finally did an intro game with hubby( @RuneLyall )for Infinity.  It didn't go so well, especially after he somehow summoned Lucario (last bit is just him being silly, as he'd snuck it on to the table when I was double checking something)

IMG_20191103_113326.thumb.jpg.f0c845e772441d8c135522f48936ec05.jpg

^Casually walking a Ghulam into three AROs because you weren't quite paying attention to such is.... A bad idea.  A painfully bad idea, but still.  He liked it enough that he wants to try a few more games, and then give it a shot on a proper, full sized table with a full on army.  Guess I better figure out where we're going to fit a 4x4' table! ^_^;;;

• Like 4

First one is Horrified, which I bought at the beginning of October. The Universal Monsters are loose, and terrorizing the village!

th.jpg.cce2c9627383e2f5c163bbcd76e0a6c5.jpg Cooperative board game: you play the heroes, and the monsters operate according to cards drawn on each player's turn. They essentially wander around the board, attacking you and killing the villagers. Each time they successfully attack a player or a villager, the Terror Tracker is moved one to the right; when it reaches the skull, the monsters win. So it's to your best advantage to protect the villagers and keep ahead of the monsters, while moving around the village, gathering the items you'll need to defeat whatever critters are running loose in the night.

Each monster requires a two pronged effort to defeat -- Dracula, for example, you have to destroy his four coffins in separate locations on the board, and THEN confront him and discard a certain value in collected items to defeat him. I was surprised to see that certain monsters require an unexpected victory condition -- the Wolfman, for example, you don't just shoot with a silver bullet; you have to research a cure for lycanthropy, and then hunt him down and stuff it down his throat. The Monster and the Bride are always in the same game, and if they meet, bad things happen; your goal is to separately teach each of them the value of humanity (again, by collecting and discarding certain items) and THEN arranging for them to meet, at which point they will run away together and never harm the villagers again...

...and the game comes with a sliding scale of difficulty. Want a harder game? Add more monsters. It isn't Axis and Allies, but it's a fun themed party game with a shallow learning curve and enough complexity to be fun. Plays surprisingly well solo, as well as multiplayer.

The other game is Dead Panic, which I bought at the END of October. It's a variant of Castle Panic and does a great job of recreating the Spam In A Cabin flavor of standard zombie films.

Dead-Panic-board-game-review.jpg.e3f71bc93ed1548ff88b35998eee3435.jpg Another cooperative board game, where zombies emerge from the woods and approach the cabin in the middle of the board. Meanwhile, you and your friends are ransacking the cabin, trying to find weapons and tools to hold off the undead! Among the horrors that emerge from the woods throughout the game are three survivors; don't shoot them, because they carry the three parts of the RADIO you'll need to call the rescue truck and win the game!

I find it realistic, albeit terrifying, that you can't kill a zombie without a weapon (if you win a combat, you can move him away one space). I find it MORE terrifying that an ordinary zombie, ignored long enough, can tear down one wall of your cabin!

Great fun. Recommended.

• Like 4

On 11/3/2019 at 1:11 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

So, finally did an intro game with hubby( @RuneLyall )for Infinity.  It didn't go so well, especially after he somehow summoned Lucario (last bit is just him being silly, as he'd snuck it on to the table when I was double checking something)

IMG_20191103_113326.thumb.jpg.f0c845e772441d8c135522f48936ec05.jpg

^Casually walking a Ghulam into three AROs because you weren't quite paying attention to such is.... A bad idea.  A painfully bad idea, but still.  He liked it enough that he wants to try a few more games, and then give it a shot on a proper, full sized table with a full on army.  Guess I better figure out where we're going to fit a 4x4' table! ^_^;;;

IIRC there's a rule out there that your opponent should warn you when you're about to trigger bad stuff like that. It's been a few years since I played tho.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chrome said:

IIRC there's a rule out there that your opponent should warn you when you're about to trigger bad stuff like that. It's been a few years since I played tho.

Quite true that such exists.  Oddly enough, the Ghulam survived such - well, the first round anyways.  Second round didn't go as well. 

I was showing hubby the basics, didn't notice it, and when he pointed it out, I rolled with it, since we'd wound up hitting rewind a few times when we had realized we had interpreted numerous things incorrectly. 

I suspect the game will go differently once we set up a bigger table - I'll be working on re-arranging our living room over the next few days to give us a 3x3' table to play on, which should work at least for 150 point games.  Obviously a standard sized table would be handy, but we will get there soon enough. 

I also noticed this morning that just seeing what we had set up over the weekend had me really, REALLY happy to see so I strongly suspect I like the idea of a gaming table... 

• Like 3

D&D fell through for today, so we played a couple board games instead:

Legendary: Marvel

20191110_121915.thumb.jpg.e143d6711b4812a2356ab818c8ff5205.jpg

Deep Madness

20191110_162847.thumb.jpg.1e0e05d3222b623664357e2afc44b0ee.jpg

• Like 6