Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

19 hours ago, Unit04 said:

Public Service Announcement:  If you are bringing a game to game night, and/or being a vocal advocate for it...know the rules before bringing it to the table.  I don't mind learning a new game, or having someone bring a new game with the express purpose of learning, but that expectation needs to be set.  

Unfortunately, I may have been guilty of this a time or two :down:.  In the last case I brought Atlantic Star to game group because we had fun with it years ago.  Too many as a matter of fact.  By the time it hit the table, I had forgotten. Most of the rules and had to do the cardinal sin of basically reading the rules to everyone while scrambling mentally to remember how they fit together!

It worked out okay as it is a pretty fun game and has some pretty unique mechanics.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Founders of Gloomhaven arrived today. My Little Scythe is due Friday.

Hopefully we can get at least one to the table this weekend.

Over lunch my friend and I play a few games and the one we played today was Tides of Madness.  its a great two player drafting game with some pretty cool art.  

43 minutes ago, Unit04 said:

Over lunch my friend and I play a few games and the one we played today was Tides of Madness.  its a great two player drafting game with some pretty cool art.  

We have this one and enjoy it, but for some reason, it doesn't see play all that often. Maybe I should push to get it to the table this week.

• Like 1

I played some Smile last night.  Its a nice small bidding card game that plays a bit like No Thanks, where you bid to NOT take a card.  The cards range from -5 to +5 and you have to bid on the smallest card in the pool first (one card is out per player).  The trick is, some cards have colors on the top and you can't have two of the same color, so if you "win" a color you have, you lose both the new card and the card in your pool.  

Good stuff.

2018-07-25 20.27.08.jpg

Edited by Unit04
  • Like 1

Today was two games getting their first plays:

My Little Scythe with the kids:

20180728_120142.thumb.jpg.a549bdef1624b082040743886d82eee8.jpg

and Pandemic Legacy - Season 1 with the wife, two characters each:

20180728_193548.thumb.jpg.f2dbdc36c24ffa3996db47bffc944926.jpg

• Like 2

Just a game of classic settlers tonight.  The special thing was I got to introduce it to someone who has never played before!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drop It

20180729_204326.thumb.jpg.006ed150e696e0d7c3b7165d191c5829.jpg

20180729_204235.thumb.jpg.ef790e79058211f1e307fa17b9806e4c.jpg

Connect Four

20180729_151747.thumb.jpg.46c9416b340865d15b7d1092c7ab8ab1.jpg

Sushi Go

20180729_112903.thumb.jpg.bae7e1aae9a6c3f4a2c1b08f9057167e.jpg

Trilli-Trilli

20180729_101945.thumb.jpg.009cbbe6d45b59fe05a03285f89db408.jpg

DC Super Hero Girls Go Fish (no pic)

• Like 1

Last game night I played Photosynthesis, an interesting game where you have to grow trees to get currency (sun), but chop them down to score points.  The outside areas get more sun, and thus more "money", but the inside areas are worth more points.  It was very enjoyable and got a lot of interest from the other tables.  

We also played Cahoots, which was a lot more fun then I was expecting.  Its a small, quick, cooperative card game with a fairly simple rule set.  You have to achieve a number of goals (depending on the difficulty and possibly player count) like "all the green cards must add to 10" or "alternating stacks are green".  If anyone can't play a card when their turn comes around, you lose.  

2018-08-01 19.53.48.jpg

• Like 2

Last week at game night we played Star Trek Ascendancy, which is one of our favorite games. We break it out once every 4 or 5 months. Spend 2 hours setting up and remembering how the rules work, then play for 2 hours, then break down without a winner when the store closes. :rolleyes: Every time....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Games that hit the table recently:

• Ascension
  • Azul
  • Drop It
  • My Little Scythe
  • Hyperspace (playtest)
  • Flashlights and Fireflies
  • Go Away Monster
  • Hi Ho Cherry-O
  • Connect Four

I played Hanamikoji yesterday at lunch.  Great two player game that plays quickly so we can generally get in a couple games in one lunch break.  

Also, the cards are beautifully illustrated.  

• Like 2

We finished the introductory game of Thru the Ages yesterday that we started 5 weeks ago.  I won because of Napoleon basically.  I was just a little behind the others until they scored the strength of military.  I was over twice the strength of any other.  I think that it does seem balanced, but some cards can give a big boost.  Napoleon and Passenger service are the two I saw.  Overall I liked it.  In 5 weeks we will try a full game in 4 hrs.

• Like 2

We played Terraforming Mars last week and I won! I'm the black cube down there on 75. I think that's my highest score ever! I was in last place at the start of the final turn and barely moved into 3rd prior to final scoring. But I had 10 VP in Milestones and a whopping 15!!!! VP printed on cards! 

The final 2 cards I played in the game were huge. Interstellar Colony Ship was worth 4 VP. I can't remember the other card's name, but it immediately increased my TR by 3 (which is what moved me from 4th to 3rd) and also gave me 2 VP during final scoring. So those 2 cards alone gave me 9 VP!

And I could only afford to play them b/c of a crazy combination of mechanics:

1. I placed my a forest on a hex that would give another player some points, but the hex awarded me 2 plants.

2. Those 2 plants were enough to let me buy 1 more forest and I placed that on a hex that gave me 1 plant and 1 titanium.

3. My faction ability allowed me to use Titanium to pay for projects at a 4:1 exchange instead of the normal 3:1.

4. My plant production was at 7, so that single plant I got during #2 gave me enough to buy 1 more forest tile during final scoring.

So could I pay Interstellar Colony Ship's cost of 24 with just 6 Titanium.

IMG_20180809_220103286.jpg

Edited by Chrome
added pic
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Chrome said:

We played Terraforming Mars last week and I won! I'm the black cube down there on 75. I think that's my highest score ever! I was in last place at the start of the final turn and barely moved into 3rd prior to final scoring. But I had 10 VP in Milestones and a whopping 15!!!! VP printed on cards! 

The final 2 cards I played in the game were huge. Interstellar Colony Ship was worth 4 VP. I can't remember the other card's name, but it immediately increased my TR by 3 (which is what moved me from 4th to 3rd) and also gave me 2 VP during final scoring. So those 2 cards alone gave me 9 VP!

And I could only afford to play them b/c of a crazy combination of mechanics:

1. I placed my a forest on a hex that would give another player some points, but the hex awarded me 2 plants.

2. Those 2 plants were enough to let me buy 1 more forest and I placed that on a hex that gave me 1 plant and 1 titanium.

3. My faction ability allowed me to use Titanium to pay for projects at a 4:1 exchange instead of the normal 3:1.

4. My plant production was at 7, so that single plant I got during #2 gave me enough to buy 1 more forest tile during final scoring.

So could I pay Interstellar Colony Ship's cost of 24 with just 6 Titanium.

IMG_20180809_220103286.jpg

I played this game just before I moved away from my gaming group.

There were a few elements that weren't clear the first (and only) time I played it. Particularly how scoring is done at the very end. Different choices would've been made instead.

Why do I remember the temperature track being on the other side of the board? A different edition?

• Like 1