Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

1 minute ago, Cranky Dog said:

I played this game just before I moved away from my gaming group.

There were a few elements that weren't clear the first (and only) time I played it. Particularly how scoring is done at the very end. Different choices would've been made instead.

Why do I remember the temperature track being on the other side of the board? A different edition?

A new map.  This is "the other side" of Mars so they flipped the temperature and standard projects.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anybody played the new version of Triplanetary by Steve Jackson Games?

I bought a copy through the Kickstarter and haven't even opened the box yet.

Planning on tossing it in the trunk and toting to ReaperCon so if anybody is curious about this old school game reboot tap me on the shoulder.

• Like 1

Tsuro of the High Seas:

20180819_112614.thumb.jpg.942b75d655af0357400fd28af3d6d518.jpg

Castle Panic:

20180819_124545.thumb.jpg.e3efa231ab9ba68ee17cd9d70ac562dc.jpg

Pandemic Legacy (February):

20180819_212615.thumb.jpg.369bda223977b2f8d113f4a0d6dc0b16.jpg

Edited by Talae
  • Like 3

I picked up Space Base at the last New England Paint Day and finally got it to the table.  Everyone enjoyed it but one person did ask what the narrative was.  It is a good engine building game but the theme doesn't quite fit it.  I was happy that I got to win with the "I WIN" card.

We also played Exploding Kittens.  Not the best game, but good for occasional silly fun.

2018-08-18 21.25.25.jpg

2018-08-18 23.07.28.jpg

Edited by Unit04
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Unit04 said:

I picked up Space Base at the last New England Paint Day and finally got it to the table.  Everyone enjoyed it but one person did ask what the narrative was.  It is a good engine building game but the theme doesn't quite fit it.  I was happy that I got to win with the "I WIN" card.

Have you played Russian Railroads? It's clearly a Skyscraper building game with the wrong theming.

• Like 1

Played Pax Renaissance x2, Root, and Azul this weekend.  All are great.  

Also, Drop It! x2

Edited by skippen
  • Like 1

We played 

On 8/20/2018 at 8:19 AM, Unit04 said:

I entered the BGG contest for this, and was equally confused by the theme. By the time I'd scoured the rules in order to answer the contest questions, I was no longer interested in playing it. :unsure:

We also played Exploding Kittens.  Not the best game, but good for occasional silly fun.

This one's best on a weekend night after a few beers!

• Like 1

I played Splendor for the first time in a while (with humans).  We used the expansion where you get to place a fortress on other cards to prevent other people from claiming them.  It slowed the game down and I'm not sure it really helped things.  My biggest complaint with Splendor is that people always seem to take a card you want or leave you with little to no options, and this expansion exacerbated that problem.  

That being said, I shouldn't complain TOO much since I did win the game with the old "Reserve-a-5-point-card-at-the-beginning-and-hope-everyone-forgets-about-it" trick.  It is a sound strategy if you are the last player, which I was.  I'll play Splendor again (with humans) but it does leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth when I play, so I don't think it will ever be one I run to play.  

2018-08-22 20.31.36.jpg

Edited by Unit04
  • Like 1

Last night I hauled my lovely new Ultimate Collector's Case to the FLGS and we played Sentinels of the Multiverse. 5 of us faced off against Spite. Spite is one of those villains that's impossible to defeat in his starting stage (he heals = to whatever damage he inflicts, plus our's drew damage reduction right off the bat) so you just have to ride him out and wait for the villain card to flip, then pile on him before he kills you all. 

With all of the new heroes I had available (I just got the latest KS expansion) everyone but one guy wanted to try new heroes, so we all just chose blindly and had no synergy, no idea how our heroes worked, and no healing. :lol:  We won in the end, although it was a very close game. My hero fell and the rest of the group was very low on HP.

• Like 1

We picked up "Hey, That's My Fish!" on the way to the in-laws today.

We got two games in.

20180825_193032.thumb.jpg.671e18e37a493c0322180801745c99c9.jpg

20180825_195857.thumb.jpg.35b37e9697d345c9766e07a11ef6e56f.jpg

• Like 2

Trying to help get a gaming group going from a bunch of new gamers:

Played bohnanza, pickomino, Mississippi Queen, Say Anything, and Wits and Wagers.

Bohnanza surprised a number of the new players by being a lot of fun, and this group picked up on the Pickomino theme and played it to the hilt for some reason. (Barbequing worms at a bird cookout)

MQ was something people wanted to try. Very pretty components land even the intro game led to a lot of strategy and surprises.  Wits and Wagers and Say Anything were fun party trivia games with different betting techniques for scores which push the social aspects and allowed the questioner to participate.

Overall the night was a good success and we hope to see more inn the future

• Like 3

Mrs. Gargs and I finally got around to finishing Pandemic Legacy: Season One last night. I'm not one to brag of course, but we did save the world and all. ;)

Seriously though its a fun game and we really enjoyed it. Pandemic is a bit of an odd co-op game in that it gets harder the more players you have, really requiring you to coordinate and work together.

Spoiler

Legacy Season One does have some nice twists near the end and the difficulty certainly ramped up a bit in the end with some nice twists.

The only real issues with Pandemic Legacy is the fact that you either a) have to be really meticulous when playing through it with careful notes or b) only really get one play through (which to be fair can be anywhere from 12-24 games) as it does make permanent changes to the game and board. That said, my recommendation would be that if you like the Pandemic games, then get a group of friends together to play Legacy. You'll still likely take several game nights to complete a full play-through and by that point its well worth the money.

Now we will likely be on to Season Two of Pandemic Legacy. :)

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Gargs said:

Mrs. Gargs and I finally got around to finishing Pandemic Legacy: Season One last night. I'm not one to brag of course, but we did save the world and all. ;)

Seriously though its a fun game and we really enjoyed it. Pandemic is a bit of an odd co-op game in that it gets harder the more players you have, really requiring you to coordinate and work together.

we enjoyed it.  we might have gone overboard with our spreadsheets and tracking infection vectors, but it was a good family game for us.  now we're ready for s2 as well.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ladystorm said:

we enjoyed it.  we might have gone overboard with our spreadsheets and tracking infection vectors, but it was a good family game for us.  now we're ready for s2 as well.

Nothing wrong with that. Frankly, if you can track everything off the board, so much the better so you can replay it in the future. The one gripe I had was that the cards that came with that you were supposed to track your character's progress on we're super resistant to pens.