Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

I started off a Drop It with this witchcraft. Still didn't win. The 6 year old show ed d us how it was done

20191110_194906.thumb.jpg.451de9cb93d725fd01c7b4cbe4ce93a7.jpg

20191110_200717.thumb.jpg.05d43a689325842d3bab431da3b7ffcd.jpg.

We also got in a couple of games of Codenames Pictures:

20191110_191735.thumb.jpg.28efd88944fecb3e2fc4106df3b484e2.jpg

20191110_193038.thumb.jpg.a3451d3c81abd41745dd03276bbc63e4.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/4/2019 at 8:30 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

Quite true that such exists.  Oddly enough, the Ghulam survived such - well, the first round anyways.  Second round didn't go as well. 

I was showing hubby the basics, didn't notice it, and when he pointed it out, I rolled with it, since we'd wound up hitting rewind a few times when we had realized we had interpreted numerous things incorrectly. 

I suspect the game will go differently once we set up a bigger table - I'll be working on re-arranging our living room over the next few days to give us a 3x3' table to play on, which should work at least for 150 point games.  Obviously a standard sized table would be handy, but we will get there soon enough. 

I also noticed this morning that just seeing what we had set up over the weekend had me really, REALLY happy to see so I strongly suspect I like the idea of a gaming table... 

It really is a great game to play casually with someone you enjoy hanging out with! The most fun I had with it was playing the Operation Icestorm missions with the limited units as they ramped up the rules. Once I got into it playing full-blown competitive, it was just more than I wanted to do. At that level it becomes one of those games you have to put all of your time and energy into and I just enjoy doing different things too much. I still follow the game tho. And if money weren't so tight right now I'd probably be up to my neck in their current KS. :)

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Two more games of Legendary. This time as a 2-player game with my 9yo daughter. I won one and she won one.

Suggested first game setup:

20191111_112547.thumb.jpg.715cd4fcd9796e2f3946ebbb283f9541.jpg

What she picked:

20191111_132038.thumb.jpg.fef243d933e461aa373ac89f72223436.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Chrome said:

It really is a great game to play casually with someone you enjoy hanging out with! The most fun I had with it was playing the Operation Icestorm missions with the limited units as they ramped up the rules. Once I got into it playing full-blown competitive, it was just more than I wanted to do. At that level it becomes one of those games you have to put all of your time and energy into and I just enjoy doing different things too much. I still follow the game tho. And if money weren't so tight right now I'd probably be up to my neck in their current KS. :)

Quite true, I've noticed some of the competitive players can be rather competitive, but at the same time, it seems to be a different type of competitive than say the 40k gamers.  What I do like though is that the tournaments aren't just "blow everything to kingdom come" but it's cases where at times forcing your opponent into retreat is actually a bad idea, and can actually lose you the match.  There have been many a report of someone who got just a tad too shooty right after the enemy scored an objective point, forced them into retreat aaaand that's game.  Oops, opponent just won 2-1, or 2-0.  Oh yeah, and how you have to be thoughtful about what you pack into your two allowed lists because each of them has their own compromises to deal with AND you have to deal with FIVE different missions at a tournament (at least going by the satellite tournament coming up locally).

What I like the most about it though is that terrain is something more than just an obstacle to work around!

I definitely have to agree though, those starter missions are a ton of fun, they're what's getting hubby interested (especially the tactical stuff, but what he seems to like the most is the die rolling, oddly enough).  With neither of us having played a full blown, let alone 150-200 point game it's a case of we shall see how the cards fall with everything, but I won't lie - I do miss playing miniature wargames...

I'm still debating about if I'm going to sign up for that tournament or not, but I won't lie about having already dropped a decent amount of coin on more forces.  Partially to have more flexibility for a 300/6 list, but also because I really do want that giant murder scorpion.  And tricksters.  There's a decent amount of those in my chosen faction ^_^

• Like 3

Played The Grizzled last night in honor of Remembrance Day.  Even with the expansion which is meant to make it easier, we still lost horribly, though our one player kept making mistakes and failing our missions.  Though I guess if you're playing a game based on WWI, making it horribly hard mind of makes sense.  Definitely going to be having a couple more games of that over the next couple weeks.  

We followed his up with a game of Century Spice Road which is always good fun (I almost won but was robbed...) and we ended up with Cards Against Humanity for something brainless to end the night.  

• Like 6

The Girzzled in sitting in shrink on my shelf. I think I have the smaller version iirc (there are two, right?).

Eventually we will get that one to the table...

Cards Against Humanity is a game I have had a lot of fun with over the years. It hasn't hit the table in a long time, though.

Century games have tempted me a number of times, but I have yet to buy one.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Talae said:

The Girzzled in sitting in shrink on my shelf. I think I have the smaller version iirc (there are two, right?).

Eventually we will get that one to the table...

Cards Against Humanity is a game I have had a lot of fun with over the years. It hasn't hit the table in a long time, though. 

Century games have tempted me a number of times, but I have yet to buy one.

The base, original Grizzled is REALLY hard.  Nobody could beat it.  The expansion was meant to soften it a little.  We still haven't won it, but it makes it less horrible. 

Century Spice Road is a nice, calm resource management game that is pretty fast paced once folks know what they are doing, right up until the end when everyone is counting how many turns for each player to win and optimizing strategy.  It says 8+ on the box and I'm sure my kids could play it, but not sure how much of long-term planning they could do.  Might way a bit until I pick it up for them.  Copy we played was a friend's. 

• Like 3

A very nasty evening here, freezing rain and snow. With roads icy I cancelled my Heroclix game and the Missus and I played a card game called Hand and Foot, sort of a heavily modified Gin Rummy.

• Like 4

Dinovember continues around here. Posting here because tonight they decided to play Castle Panic (and it got me thinking that there should be a dino version of Castle Panic):

20191111_214501.thumb.jpg.e284b0e79fc2b7c57ae5ebd645ecc1ea.jpg

20191111_214436.thumb.jpg.213d2f25a3a637155bf0f678f5c33b44.jpg

20191111_214451.thumb.jpg.e08204726437b278e2d19b6dbacd4267.jpg

20191111_214422.thumb.jpg.7880f3fea4b8813721630670a72420e3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Oh, man. You have to watch that!  Dinosaurs get into everything these days.  Looks like you have quite the infestation! 

Looks like a lot of fun!

• Like 5

Ooh, forgot to take pictures, but I played Wingspan for the first time last night.  A great engine building game that everyone enjoyed.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Unit04 said:

Ooh, forgot to take pictures, but I played Wingspan for the first time last night.  A great engine building game that everyone enjoyed.  

We enjoyed that when we played back in June. Solid game that I could see owning at some point.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Talae said:

We enjoyed that when we played back in June. Solid game that I could see owning at some point.

I played with 3 other people and, while everyone enjoyed it and would play again, one person specifically mentioned they wouldn't buy it because of the theme.  

Elizabeth Hargrave didn't just design Wingspan though, she also designed another game I played recently, Tussie Mussie.  Tussie Mussie is produced by Button Shy, who only makes small card games, which makes them good lunch games.  You draw two cards from the deck and place one face up and one face down.  The opponent has to choose which one to keep, letting you take the other one.  Face up cards go into your "bouquet" and face down cards are "keepsakes" and may score differently depending on how and where they enter your arrangement.  Each flower has its "meaning" on the bottom which you are "encouraged" to say when you put the cards in the middle of the table.  That rule we gave the carnation...

tM2.thumb.jpg.7fd113ba41f924b1573064884ef7c2b5.jpg  

1877254455_TussieMussie.thumb.jpg.f010fe096b01cf2ec3680db6cc1ef3a7.jpg

• Like 5

@Unit04, I haven't seen Tissue Mussie before, sounds like a good game for killing time between longer games. Thanks for mentioning it.

My parents are here for Thanksgiving, so we've been breaking or the good, simple games. They play a ton of Carcassonne at home, so we always play that. Last night's game used all our expansions and lasted until 1a.m.!

Today we introduced them to Ticket to Ride, which they liked well enough I may be sending them a copy for Christmas.

Not sure where we'll take them next. Possibly Sushi Go, that should be about their speed.

• Like 7