Sign in to follow this  
Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

Several rounds of Splendor today.

Mom is still really enjoying it, and wants to master the rules by the time they go back South so she can play with my brothers' boys.  We've also recently discovered that Dad is not to be underestimated.  He won the two games he played, and by a significant margin.  Mom likes to continue playing until a second player acquires the necessary points, which doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I think it kind of annoys my father, though.

I'm going to try introducing them to Lords of Waterdeep next week.  I'm a little hesitant, but with multiple ways to earn points and a set eight round limit, it might keep their attention a little better.

• Like 6

Finally got some Catacombs to the table.  It is a fun flicking game/dungeon crawl.  I was the Dungeon Lord both times and cleaned up handily.  Apparently I have a good finger for flicking.  It is best at 5 players, since there are always 4 adventurers and a boss, and at a table you can walk around.  It is a lot of fun and has surprising moments of strategy for a flicking game.  Or at least attempted strategy.  Plans never survive contact with the little wooden disks.  Game 1 was played when our Pathfinder session was called due to the flu.  One player brought his (11yr old?) son and we played a 4 player game.  I accidentally took a tougher boss than suggested for the first time, but I am not sure it mattered.  Game 2 was at our crazy New Year's Eve party and on a table you can't walk all the way around.  Still had a lot of fun.  

2019-12-28_14_18_30.thumb.jpg.8f50b1106916313693a76a74ffe4310e.jpg 2019-12-31_21_32_05.thumb.jpg.561a5a312027ca3407a449f8a9a2e97d.jpg

Later on New Year's Eve and on to New Year's Day (after a short break at midnight), we played some Space Base.  I did not get the "I Win" card.  :(

2019-12-31_23_37_59.thumb.jpg.d5784d248fdd3691113f49e79d7a06ed.jpg

• Like 5

We've been doing a lot of Dixit since New Years. People are already saying we need to get the expansions but the wife doesn't want to spend that much on games right now. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Zink said:

We've been doing a lot of Dixit since New Years. People are already saying we need to get the expansions but the wife doesn't want to spend that much on games right now. 

We own a few expansions and find them to be worth it...especially if you can find them on sale.

• Like 2

Well, I, didn't get any games in today, but I got a nice game surprise today.

I had a scheduled "procedure" this morning, and on the way into the waiting room I spied a table of gentlemen putting away Splendor!  I didn't see what else they had, but I did see Tiny Epic Galaxies, another Tiny Epic game, and a western themed game (I think it was The Good, The Bad, The Munchkin).  I don't know that I would have thought about waiting out a friend/family member by playing board games!

So, congrats to those three (and best wishes for whomever it was they were waiting for)!

• Like 6

It took us FIVE weeks, but we finally finished a game of Legendary that we set up pre-Christmas! My buddy and I had just finished setting up the game on Dec 12th when my dog had a seizure, so I had to cancel game night and take her to the vet. The dog has been perfectly fine since then, but the game was just sitting in my basement; unplayed due to the holidays and other conflicts until last week.

The Avengers learned that the Red Skull was going to try and Change the Outcome of WW2, so Cap, Hulk, Winter Soldier, and Silver Surfer travel back in time to stop him. Knowing they needed someone with knowledge of Hydra's plans, they added one more integral cog to their machine....

Spoiler

Image result for bob agent of hydra

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

At board game night, we played some Legendary.  I'm doing the MCU movies (though not in order) and we decided to recreate Captain America: Civil War.  It isn't a perfect recreation because of the cards, but it is pretty close.  Authoritarian Iron Man was the mastermind behind the Epic Super Hero Civil War scheme, and we had Captain America Secret Avenger, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Scarlet Witch and Ant-Man.  Iron Man's Master Strikes fill up the board, and as long as a villain is on a Master Strike space, you can't fight Iron Man.  Also the villains get +3 and Iron Man is a 12, so you need 18+ attack if so much as a typical henchman is on that spot.  We lost after only hitting Iron Man twice.  

2020-01-25_17_18_28.thumb.jpg.55ae3b1838e7bfdd47d6bfc1330dd5a2.jpg

Then we played some Quadropolis.  It is a simple city building game where you grab tiles with numbered architects and have to place it in your city in a correspondingly numbered location.  Its a fun game that isn't too light or too complex, which is what we needed after an intense battle with Iron Man.  

2020-01-25_21_04_07.thumb.jpg.1ba75da52e9a1721484d8f9553f822bb.jpg 2020-01-25_22_30_39.thumb.jpg.1020d03005c86f989a374bad26811bbe.jpg

• Like 7

Planning on running HeroQuest with new and improved maps. ::):

Basically, the same footprint as the old maps, but with completely new graphics, and leaving out the unused hallways and rooms, resulting in a much prettier series of maps that have the same play as the old maps.

The Auld Grump - still hoping that the 25th Anniversary Edition delivers, some day....

• Like 5

Okay, Immigrant Song - Norse game, I can understand the choice.

March of Cambreadth - kingdom building and warfare, I can understand the choice.

Do You Come From A Land Down Under?... ... ... Okay, I have no idea. ::P:

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

I've picked up some board games over the last couple years.  It started with Pandemic.  Ticket to Ride has been a huge hit, especially with my girlfriend.  Christmas resulted in Settlers of Catan, Quadropolis, Small World, and the 1910 expansion for Ticket to Ride.  We've enjoyed all of them, but Ticket to Ride has been the biggest winner.  We've only played a couple games of Catan so far, but I'm thinking I'll really like it.  Reception of Small World has been mixed, but I enjoy it.  Quadropolis was well received.

• Like 9

Played Western Legends for the first time last night.  We used the base rules, no expansions or optional stuff to get a handle on it.  

We played with the full complement of 6 players and it was fun.  Asymmetrical victory point game with several ways to get points.  Everyone around the table enjoyed it though I think it needs a little more complexity from some of the optional rules (individual quests if you will) as some of the mechanics can be abused a bit depending on the character you end up with.  Still, shootouts, prospecting and hands of poker were had, much to the amusement of all.   

This coming weekend we will be 7 players, so 7 Wonders, Scythe or Caverna are likely to hit the table.  

• Like 6

I forgot to post here but last weekend my daughter and I went to a friend's house for what we have been calling a Con. It is four days (although we went three) of gaming with 25-30 people. We all chip in to cover the cost of food and lodging.

I played 17 games a total of 20 plays. My daughter played 14 for a total of 17 plays.

Here are the games:

Games Played by me and/or my daughter this weekend at a local Con type event:
Om Nom Nom
Res Arcana 
It's a Wonderful World
Century Spice Road
Wavelength
Catch the Moon
Robin of Locksley 
Dixit
Quacks of Quedlinburg
Stone Age
New York Slice
Drop It
Fleet the Dice Game
Megaland
Sushi Roll
Skull King
Cooper Island
Azul
Grand Austria Hotel

The Quacks tournament we ran was fun and the game of the Con was It's  a Wonderful World, but I think my favorite was Cooper Island. I am really enjoying the heavier games in the 1-2 hour range lately  

Oh, and my daughter walked away with a ton of games. I ended up with one, but she got tons from raffles and trades.

20200126_105936.thumb.jpg.2bc5b2abfac8c21cf9b9ba58f160b34c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A friend is 3D printing HeroQuest dice for us, so EVERYTHING will be new.

New maps, new minis, new dice, and new PDFs of the rules.

We will play four times tonight, Grump, Me, Julie, andJon all taking turns as Zargon, Mum just playing. ::):

Practicing, so Danger and Trouble will have experienced Zargon's when it is their turn to fight the Gargoyle.

http://north-american.yeoldeinn.com/wizards-of-zargon.php

• Like 3