Jump to content

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?


Recommended Posts

@Talae I enjoyed Fog of love.  It needs to come out more.

 

We have been playing a LOT of Gloomhaven, at least 1 game a day for most of the holiday week.  we have been through about half the scenerios now and everyone has had at least 1 retiree.  The game has been mentioned many times previously so I wont repeat details except to say that it continues to amuse and interest us long after the initial "look, shiny!" feature has worn off.  We will probably switch out to something eles when the current quests stall out but it's been a lot of fun.

 

My one disappointment is that the story threads can be hard to find and follow.  We needed to go to the internet a couple of times to figure out how to get out of an apparent dead end we had gotten into.  Having directions to at least the start of each plot thread in the box would have been extremely helpful.  other that that, I don't have any serious complaints.  We are playing mainly for story rather than challenge so we tend to run on the easy mode, which is still a challenge, at least for my family. 

 

hope everyone is having fun!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been playing Etherfields quite a bit the last week. After a very difficult first session in which we realized that every game we've ever played was a primer for parsing the rules of this beast, we found the groove and have really enjoyed it. 
 

I think it has a real problem in that the rules are frequently unclear: often, this is deliberate because they want the game to feel a bit like “Myst,” where you start without a clue and learn as you go, but it’s also pretty often unintentional because translation or beta testing didn’t work out as hoped.

 

I especially don’t understand why anyone developing a game centered around card interactions hasn’t made a deep study of the syntax used in Magic: the Gathering. You don’t need to use the same language, but an awareness that text reading, “the player” should mean the same thing on every card is some pretty basic stuff. Especially in a game as highly produced as anything from Awaken Realms.

 

all that said: the atmosphere of the game is well executed. There are a number of mechanics that work very well to keep players constantly engaged in the play narrative, the story narrative, and the physical presence of the game itself. Once you understand how the game works, there is a flow and rhythm that is very fun and mentally engaging.

 

From AR, I like Tainted Grail better than Etherfields, but I’m not at all sad to have this on my table right now. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sanael said:

We've been playing Etherfields quite a bit the last week. After a very difficult first session in which we realized that every game we've ever played was a primer for parsing the rules of this beast, we found the groove and have really enjoyed it. 
 

I think it has a real problem in that the rules are frequently unclear: often, this is deliberate because they want the game to feel a bit like “Myst,” where you start without a clue and learn as you go, but it’s also pretty often unintentional because translation or beta testing didn’t work out as hoped.

 

I especially don’t understand why anyone developing a game centered around card interactions hasn’t made a deep study of the syntax used in Magic: the Gathering. You don’t need to use the same language, but an awareness that text reading, “the player” should mean the same thing on every card is some pretty basic stuff. Especially in a game as highly produced as anything from Awaken Realms.

 

all that said: the atmosphere of the game is well executed. There are a number of mechanics that work very well to keep players constantly engaged in the play narrative, the story narrative, and the physical presence of the game itself. Once you understand how the game works, there is a flow and rhythm that is very fun and mentally engaging.

 

From AR, I like Tainted Grail better than Etherfields, but I’m not at all sad to have this on my table right now. 

 

I need to give my copy another try, but struggling through the tutorial level kinda put me off.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aku-chan said:

 

I need to give my copy another try, but struggling through the tutorial level kinda put me off.

Yeah, I know the pandemic put some big holes in their beta testing, so there’s a lot of stuff the designers were living with for a while that more playtesting would’ve highlighted as unintuitive. The tutorial’s end result is that you’ve been exposed to most major gameplay modes, but you do have to get through it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been updating lately, because we don't really change things up.

 

When Ma Strawhat was still herself we'd play Splendor twice when Mrs. Strawhat and I would go over for visits.  We've still been playing since she passed. I think Pa Strawhat likes it.  Although he's been getting a little grouchy as he hasn't been winning very often.  I get my competitive drive from him.

 

Well, we had the Strawbonnet (granddaughter) with us today.  She's only five, but she likes to try to play (with a little help from Mrs. Strawhat or myself).  Strawbonnet won today--and by a hefty margin (although Mrs. Strawhat's decision-making helped).  I'm pretty sure that Ma Strawhat, if she were able, would be laughing with glee and pride.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the game store a couple weekends ago to get some 20 sided dice for Pit Fighter (I am getting old and couldn’t easily see the numbers on my ancient dice I haven’t used in decades). While there my son picked out Dragomino. Fun tile matching game to find and hatch dragon eggs. Takes at most 15 minute and the 8 yo and I enjoy it. 

 

52AAE3A9-EDEF-4FBB-971A-ADBF0C787025.png.33a33aafc226cd7a73b757e964d60dc2.png

 

We played Hero kids today. My son was on his own and I ramped up the challenge. He got knocked down and had to retreat a couple times, but he ultimately beat the ghost pirates. And best of all he said, “Dad this is more fun than video games” . 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They recently dropped curfew here so we went back to our Sat Night Game Night.  And back to 7 Wonders.  I'm honestly not enjoying the game much.  It is a fun game but I need a bit more variety and the science path always seems to win.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 9:50 AM, Unit04 said:

They recently dropped curfew here so we went back to our Sat Night Game Night.  And back to 7 Wonders.  I'm honestly not enjoying the game much.  It is a fun game but I need a bit more variety and the science path always seems to win.  

Yeah, if the table lets someone go off on science it’s hard to beat. If the players aren’t hate-drafting green (to build wonders or sell off for cash, if nothing else), it’s easy for that exponential growth to overwhelm the final scores.
 

Are you playing with any of the expansions? I find either Cities or Leaders really changes the game and balances science nicely. Tower of Babel is a real mixed bag, though.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Yeah, if the table lets someone go off on science it’s hard to beat. If the players aren’t hate-drafting green (to build wonders or sell off for cash, if nothing else), it’s easy for that exponential growth to overwhelm the final scores.
 

Are you playing with any of the expansions? I find either Cities or Leaders really changes the game and balances science nicely. Tower of Babel is a real mixed bag, though.

 

We played with Leaders.  I did burn a science card for money, but then the (eventual) winner was able to snag it out of the trash.  I don't think all the people around the table are savvy enough to try to bury the science cards when they can, which is a problem when you have a mix of experience and competitive levels.  

 

They started Cities for the first time, but I bailed because I honestly didn't want to play 7 Wonders again among other reasons.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough! Doesn’t matter how many people claim something is the best game ever: if you don’t enjoy it, it’s not your best game ever!

 

and yeah, I loved 7Wonders the first time I played it, where the whole table had no idea what was going on; I also love playing it now, with a playgroup that can very nearly count cards even with all expansions in. But a mix of really experienced players and really inexperienced players can frequently go badly in 7W, depending on their personalities.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is any consolation, consider this a thinly veiled complaint against my current gaming group, and not the game itself.  The fact that there are other games I want to play, but can't due to the makeup of the group, is tainting my opinion somewhat. 

 

But circumstances are what they are and while it isn't ideal, its at least a group of people to game with.  

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...