What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

Talae

I bought my nephew Stinky Pig for his 7th birthday. It's not a board game, but it has a rubber piggy and when you push his belly he hums "Pop goes the weasel". You pass him around in a circle and if you are holding him when he farts, your turn is over. The game was $10 at the big box department store and has no real pieces to lose. It also comes with batteries. The kids loved it, and the adults had fun too. 

• Like 7

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had another game night and I was able to get in a couple games of Downforce, which I have been trying to get to the table for a bit.  It plays really well at 6 players, so this was an opportune time to get it to the table.  At the beginning of the game, you buy a car and power combination in an auction, then race them around the track.  To move the cars, you use cards that frequently have multiple racers on it, so you wind up moving more than just your car.  Sometimes you have to play a card without your car on it.  The trick is to try to get cars you don't want stuck in traffic or in a bad spot.  There are also 3 spots around the track where you have to place bets on who's going to win.  It is entirely possible for the car you own to do poorly, yet still win if you make good bets.  We played one of the standard maps and then the "Tokyo" map from one of the expansions.  It was fun.  I won the first game and race and got a big DNF on the second race, though I still did decently in the scores.  

2021-02-13_19_22_15.thumb.jpg.798b4fdf9fdf395d7823f9354215bc56.jpg 2021-02-13_20_32_06.thumb.jpg.420fc6d7e6fb805a9396fad01acbcd33.jpg

I also played Sleeping Gods (solo) which just came in.  It was enjoyable, but it was a pretty beefy game to play solo.  And tough as nails, I didn't make it off the first map.  It also takes up a lot of table space.  I was planning on playing a few campaigns, but I needed to put it away until I finish a few other projects I need the rest of my table for.  It is an interesting campaign game where you can basically pause after anyone's turn, there are no hard stops.  Your session can be just a few trips or you can go through the whole campaign.  The random number generation method is also interesting.  There are 60 cards with 1-6 on them, but half as many 1's and 6's as the rest.  These cards are also used for skills and various other abilities, so you can intentionally hold back low cards to improve your chances, or count cards to see what your chances are.  

2021-02-14_14_07_09.thumb.jpg.d86cc96e486f97313a3264943c251967.jpg

And last, I recently got Adventure Tactics: Domianne's Tower recently.  That is another campaign game, but closer to a Final Fantasy Tactics/Vandal Hearts type of game.  You start off with one of 5 basic classes and can level them up into somewhere around 15 different advanced classes.  One reviewer called it "My First Gloomhaven, but in a positive way".  Its 1-5 players, but you have a minimum of three characters that you need to play, so you will have to run multiple characters if you are 1or 2 players.  Still, it is a lot of fun leveling up people. 

2021-02-14_19_53_43.thumb.jpg.8d0633fdccc2cf6f8543f52ba226672f.jpg

• Like 8

We played some more Downforce this weekend, trying out a couple new boards.  Still an enjoyable game, though I'm learning more about the things you should and shouldn't do. 

"Mars" map (our name, not theirs).  There is debris in the road limiting movement.  

2021-02-27_20_18_19.thumb.jpg.2f78dbaf228d175c15f4e74fae44c752.jpg

Canvas, a Kickstarter game.  A lot of the reviewers are loving it for being simple and welcoming to new players.  You use three transparent cards and a background card to create a "masterpiece".  Scoring is related to the icons and colors at the bottoms of the cards.  How you arrange the cards will matter as you will be covering up some symbols, limiting your scoring for some items.  Win or lose, you have some interesting art at the end of the game.  

2021-02-27_21_07_52.thumb.jpg.bf5695b1aa6b36a2d00c8cad73c9cff0.jpg 2021-02-27_21_42_05.thumb.jpg.7f8519d932db39c753c35761e720fa64.jpg

• Like 6

Three games of League of Infamy.

Fun, kind of Hero Quest meets Munchkin, villains instead of heroes.

But it NEEDS more than two players! I kicked Grump's butt all three times, since I am better at being villainous to him than he is to me.

With three or four players he can   Let His Evil Shine! Why are all the good Evil songs for male roles?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Kingdom Death - RVE 

skipped the prologue, went straight to building a town. (10 people)

Some Nameless people arrived with the corpse of the Prologue Lion, but refused to make any decisions. 

Joseph, Milby, May and April took up the mantle

May and Milby successfully had a child, which they decided to raise with kindness.

made some darts, a bone sword and a few pieces of armor, went to hunt a White Lion 

Joseph dreamed of a magic sword during the hunt & woke up with it, hard to use but powerful if it hit. 

we were able to ambush the lion who was eating a rotting corpse - but the corpse was too far gone to collect any supplies from. 

One broken back (milby) , One broken leg(may) but  no deaths. Milby is unlikely to hunt again  - guess he is a stay at home dad. 

the two swords did most of the damage 

Not bad over discord, but better in person 

3 hours was enough for one fight, and a building turn. a 5-6 hour slot would have been enough to finish a second build and hunt. 

4 hours and the prologue + 1 hunt would be a better use of time - but doesn't really scratch the surface of getting attached to the town rather than the characters in the battle. 

There is one published scenario with pre-built equipment and a single hunt, I wonder how it would play at a con. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

On 3/7/2021 at 12:03 PM, PaganMegan said:

Three games of League of Infamy.

Fun, kind of Hero Quest meets Munchkin, villains instead of heroes.

But it NEEDS more than two players! I kicked Grump's butt all three times, since I am better at being villainous to him than he is to me.

With three or four players he can   Let His Evil Shine! Why are all the good Evil songs for male roles?

Not just a general lack of Megan directed villainy - the game has a certain element of risk management - I am much, much better with resource management than risk management.

I tend to place Not Screwing Up the Mission over Screwing Up the Other Player.

Which is a good way to survive the game, but not a good way to win the game.

On 3/7/2021 at 12:11 PM, Unit04 said:

May I suggest  "I'm the Bad Guy" from Wander over Yonder (spoilers..I guess) 

So that's where Megan got it!

Excellent song.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

On 3/10/2021 at 9:28 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Not just a general lack of Megan directed villainy - the game has a certain element of risk management - I am much, much better with resource management than risk management.

I tend to place Not Screwing Up the Mission over Screwing Up the Other Player.

Which is a good way to survive the game, but not a good way to win the game.

Potato, pahtahto.

So that's where Megan got it!

Excellent song.

The Auld Grump

Yes, it is.

• Like 1

Excellent song.

I'm glad you like it, since you will apparently be hearing it every time you play League of Infamy...

This weekend we played Mission: Red Planet for the first time in a long time.  I really love this game as a 6 player game but it can drag if you have players who don't like making decisions quickly.  You select one of your 9 cards that will allow you to place some astronauts on ships and usually do some other task as well (such as blowing up ships, launching ships or changing their destination).  Three times during the game you will score, with the most astronauts in a zone taking all the mineral and ice tokens there.   It is a wee bit chaotic with 6 players, but honestly I think it works best with more people than with less.

Launching rockets

2021-03-13_21_15_45.thumb.jpg.790b39e039c0a61470ed9e549923a786.jpg

Mars near the endgame.

2021-03-13_21_28_12.thumb.jpg.bbf2fa2642d7e25a7cd09c95513e1fa0.jpg

• Like 5

Had some friends over this weekend for some gaming.

Mechs and Minions-we finally got through the ‘Premature Detonation” scenario. 4 Mechs was the only way to do it. Not sure it can be won with two as my son an I had been trying to do.

Played Wingspan. I enjoyed it not only because I won, but was able to get my non-gaming wife to play. And I think she had fun. 

Played Zombicide Invader for the first time. We played the “Find the Engineers” scenario. We figured we would only go with three characters, so we didn't have to keep track of two characters each. We died in a few rounds. We reset with two characters each (six total) and just eeked out a win.  I think this is my favorite version of Zombicide based on this one session. 

• Like 3

Played a solo game of Overboss, just released. It is a puzzley game in solo mode, probably more fun with more players. I like the theme, the art and the general esthetic, but solo it is not engaging for me at least.

• Like 5

We played some Machi Koro this week, a nice engine building and dice rolling game.  Not the greatest game out there but light and fun.  A bit too luck dependent and I, for once, was trying NOT to be mean.  Being mean wins games though so...yeah. I lost.  It was the first time we played in a long time, so I went back to the original rule and laid out all the cards.  I think the updated rules that only give you a small selection of cards is a better way to do it.

1565531597_2021-03-2719_51_40.thumb.jpg.82609ff206b7b7e9384d7c33e68fa7ed.jpg

I also played some Marvel Legendary, solo.  I set up my best WandaVision team (making a lot of substitutions for characters who just don't exist in Legendary) and played the House of M plot, also with some editorial changes.  I'm looking forward to seeing if I can do the Falcon and Winter Soldier in this game.  

• Like 5

We got some Take 5 to the table.  Its a nice game for a large group of non-gamers.  There is some strategy and a good amount of luck, but it is also quick.  Everyone plays a card simultaneously and the lowest card goes first.  Cards are placed in 4 rows after the card that it is higher than but closest to.  If it is lower than the last card in every row, you take a row of your choice, and your card becomes the new seed card for that row.  If its the sixth card in that row, you take all the cards and your card becomes the seed card.  You play several hands until someone hits 66+ points, and the lowest point total wins.

Someone is taking a row!

1295893702_2021-04-1019_34_00.thumb.jpg.7606aa00370938b063584ccd18d889a2.jpg

• Like 3

Welp that's 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.  Apparently even with a patient group a rulebook and an app the rules of first Martians is beyond my ken.  O

I have admitted defeat

Edit:on rational thought I will probably have another shot at the rulebook.  I don't think I'm quite ready to be defeated by someone else's poor planning...

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4