Sign in to follow this  
Talae

What Board Game Did You Just Play and How Did You Like It?

16 hours ago, Talae said:

As a side note, I track all my in-person plays using the BGstats app. It is great for things like referencing previous scores and how many times people have won.

I track all of mine on BBG, that way everyone who plays (and has a BBG account) gets tracked too.

16 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Dragonfire! by Catalyst It is a D&D Board game.  Tries harder to get the system because it includes XP.  We lost but will try again.

Crossfire (the original) is my favorite game. My group is playing a DF campaign right now while we're waiting for the revised version of CF to be released. It is a great game, but while you're starting out you will lose more than you win. It's just designed that way. You've gotta grind for that XP.

One important thing to note that Catalyst does a really, really bad job of conveying, is that the Features are designed to be more of a per-game meta than a permanent deal like they would be in the RPG. If you're stuck on an Adventure that you just can't win, don't hesitate to change your features to something that will help you with that specific Adventure, and then switch back to your preferred Features once you've won. (This is why lots of people just use sticky notes, etc. to track their Features, instead of the actual stickers.)

8 minutes ago, Chrome said:
16 hours ago, Talae said:

As a side note, I track all my in-person plays using the BGstats app. It is great for things like referencing previous scores and how many times people have won.

I track all of mine on BBG, that way everyone who plays (and has a BBG account) gets tracked too.

You can do this with BGstats. It links to BGG.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unit04 said:

Agreed.  I did back TEK on Kickstarter and it is a neat concept, however the game is really just too small for me.  The pieces were just too fiddly.  And one of the players randomly got a Kickstarter Only faction.  We determined after the game that they were overpowered.  

Our entry into these was actually Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms.  I don’t know the differences, and probably haven’t fully tested it since most games with the kids we were a bit reluctant to engage in battles.  I still like how it works.  It is a bit fiddly.  If you bump the table you can mess things up quite a bit.

but for portability and ease of storage it can’t be beat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talae said:

This just showed up today. We have already played twice.20180626_100358.thumb.jpg.93c838ee46b81b34044eaa313c363f78.jpg

I LOVE this game! One of my favorites to demo back when I managed the toy shop.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sanael said:

I LOVE this game! One of my favorites to demo back when I managed the toy shop.

It was fun! Glad we got it on sale!

We have played a few times already.

Other stuff that hit the table today:

Dragonwood

20180626_165132.thumb.jpg.b4ac9a3c686bdf35a0398db4ade7de43.jpg

And Zombie Flux

20180626_172349.thumb.jpg.7b087ae03997636f2f68779804c4389e.jpg

• Like 3

At Board Game Night last night, I played an interesting Kickstarter game, The Island of El Dorado.  We played 5 players (not recommended) and it had all the trappings of a Kickstarter game (nice bits, problematic rules).  

You are an explorer looking for 4 shrines, 3 above ground and 1 in a cave.  The board is hex based and laid out as you explore, with different terrain giving different resources.  You want to leave a blessing at each of the above ground shrines (which can hold everyone's blessings) and one cave shrine that is more powerful, can be carried with you and is stolen if you lose a battle.  Combat is resolved by rolling a number of dice equal to your power, but the dice have two sides each of 0, 1 and 2 pips, so even a weak attacker can beat a seemingly overwhelming opponent.  

The game came down to the last few die rolls.  I had the cave shrine in my possession and was one resource short of capping the last shrine.  I decided to hole up defensively for one turn (knowing I'd be targeted by everyone else, who just needed the cave shrine) rather then attack someone for the final resource.  The next player had a 9 die attack and I had 10 die to respond, and he won 7 to 6.  It was great.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd rush out to buy this game (though it is coming back to Kickstarter, I understand).  The game itself seems pretty solid, but a lot of what made it fun was the group playing it.

• Like 3

We played Suburbia last night at game night. The guy who'd never played before was up by a huge margin late in the game, but then his engine stalled and he got passed during the end-stage where you convert extra money into people.  I came in dead last. I just couldn't get any reputation built up, so I couldn't push my score each round.

395sbhVpk8TyImMkTFtHVINKdXirEA-tdqVioM2f4scr4VBBuSzdb5V5NLDeafLPLuKiJVMqSb0HkLUTb7fdGkVhDd9Jo02Z3c490ac2ioKDLvQtlhf774yyexZJTQFxss_HmAolNXG3L_7UVaJsMNO9jMmSmjk7WojvcBtdc0AyTMM1tGQ_HvtdN_8g3tifTaR1V8B6F3GLHOLYBrgt7q2497Z7uRuvHRouNaNOlI_sGnbnrw9V7nAfOmKScF4VHdAl0KPxx82Si4uU_KPYNKyMLtneQEkY8ufXJ0dJyClyg17Xs-KB9eesQiW_k2_9L5StPmREyF8AX7H7p1zYSqifr23aGT1UbPatFlDT-QYlUkr8EqSl6AaPvhuFnoDST3enWogzE_tMDAZYpo5vn7EvaNl06H_AgkJdSTGcNr6bfo7qaFhCfRsPQu-IJKP0b5fwal-FYEGdet_F3OxxtDfg5xlMq7a0CMiA25YUI6uIMZgrXPAhf233zDQ1_FW_dYUW2KLhskUIRAoBc9UVdcjAJUXNCd1jKaUjBToOuRit3R8DURchpRbrAQddmQ3yZUtV_z0GNpYZW4Ke6Lzy9FExEJ58F0bbCI1Zr0Y=w738-h983-no

• Like 1

Does playing a drinking game of cosmic wimpout count?  If it does, I did manage to get back to my hotel room under my own power... unlike 3rd and 4th place

• Like 2

Never heard of that game, but I figure a game is a game! Is this the game?

As for me, I tend to forget the point of a drinking is not to drink. I am the guy that accidentally keeps drinking when I am not forced to. I also actually get less competitive when I drink...most of the time. Depends on who is around and what game we are playing.

On 6/29/2018 at 3:40 AM, Talae said:

Never heard of that game, but I figure a game is a game! Is this the game?

As for me, I tend to forget the point of a drinking is not to drink. I am the guy that accidentally keeps drinking when I am not forced to. I also actually get less competitive when I drink...most of the time. Depends on who is around and what game we are playing.

That's the game, although my copy was from the 90s and is in a little dice tube that I carry in my work backpack with a condensed copy of inca gold.  

The game is essentially a push your luck game with some added rules for alcohol 

- drink on a wimpout

- drink on a freight train 

- drink until someone recovers the die you dropped

-drain your glass on a supernova

Considering that there are only a few combinations that will get you starting points the game gets primed pretty quickly...

On 7/1/2018 at 1:24 PM, pcktlnt said:

Space Base was surprisingly interesting. I could see it replacing machi koro for us.

The first time I saw it I though "This looks like Machi Koro...but better."  I need to give it a shot at some point.  

• Like 1

Finally tried Shadowrun Crossfire. It was a lot of fun and I'm slowly getting over my fear of permanently modifying boardgames.

• Like 5

I got my son to play Emergence Event with me on vacation. It's a space game about exploring a galaxy and improving your ship by exploring planets, mining asteroid fields, or capturing space stations. I really like the game, but don't get to play it nearly enough. (So little that every game is a series of rule mistakes and blunders.)

Also, it's made by the same guys who made Myth, so it's a game of incredible ideas, potential, and poorly written rules.

Fu3KGR_LU9N3hVkTOd_aHCsDDDycyW57v78D3UtOWbhaSjIZN3ykrphrli4DkrLZt1BO8cKgNkSdtJ2Gs3XEnAafJ4kh1aUVLVpgoisWwuiv3VC7C2kg22nilIABocqI_6lMLdZi0UD310l0xwAH6WBTQYIPLe7Cyjj9ntuDuJMJLC_fG3NSa7RfbuM0Bld27Gb3jmsewRlBkVo8dQhQC5peE7MBqpAPa2Kd8YYSyLBRLyApWH9JGJHvHvj2yaSoUu63C93OObGbIYv3j4du3wW73RUh0dPQSeLTAMqesYphsXTqUchl9C-q-crbZDwUAeJqfOyWLsousNdbKOM8hk2uzyk4rml628AUWoJVpLslcDpNjI6nfVlUH7d0AUx3C4Sk0xmFTgRzrQcz9PTp_wAyXXwhZqh8RxYY_3EoBl2013KYW6oqJCw-n91myPK1lzWpRHEp0oWNpiSd0FT3XVqNhCcd1Nl9LwooWbVw-ywmAjdGA87N0uX7zuTKl9W7eezMkqCEt5N1m1ijERgMqO68Y28lARQqPH8GDqado7ui7oAoYSZK7nkGcCniFYJYvbND89Jj4n8e1nSZSVGjiUe-ZooomD-ZtuiIWLE=w739-h985-no

• Like 1
  • Haha 1