Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Coldfire

Female Cleric from Dark Sword Miniatures

Nothing to say other that this is just awesome !

Really love the way you manage clothes, subtle tone but that's look really great, the armor part is also really well done.

How do you usually approach your painting , dark to light and subtle pass of thin layers ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, giyomuSan said:

Nothing to say other that this is just awesome !

Really love the way you manage clothes, subtle tone but that's look really great, the armor part is also really well done.

How do you usually approach your painting , dark to light and subtle pass of thin layers ?

I kind of do my own version of James Wappel's "shaded basecoat" technique.  I typically put down a basecoat, then go over the area with some watered-down washes and go back over the area with the basecoat color and then highlight with the basecoat + white or an off-white color.  I might throw in some more carefully placed washes afterwards without messing up the highlights.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff. It's hard to go wrong with green and purple, but you've done a great job with the shading. It really looks as if your photography lamp is really highlighting the model, but I suspect it's actually your paint.

The hair looks great, especially how it gets darker where it meets the cloak.

This may be an obvious question, but how do you outline the eyes? Even with larger Reaper minis (not sure how large your figure is) there just doesn't seem to be room for me to do anything besides a dot of pupil with a Micron pen, which isn't the best technique but seems to lead to fewer screw ups for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madog Barfog said:

Great stuff. It's hard to go wrong with green and purple, but you've done a great job with the shading. It really looks as if your photography lamp is really highlighting the model, but I suspect it's actually your paint.

The hair looks great, especially how it gets darker where it meets the cloak.

This may be an obvious question, but how do you outline the eyes? Even with larger Reaper minis (not sure how large your figure is) there just doesn't seem to be room for me to do anything besides a dot of pupil with a Micron pen, which isn't the best technique but seems to lead to fewer screw ups for me.

The lamp is highlighting it a bit, unfortunately.  Most if it is the paint though.  I can't quite get the photography aspect correct. 

I paint eyes like so: 

1.  I slightly thin down some Grey Liner from Reaper with water.

2.  Use a Windsor & Newton Series 7, Size 1 brush and load the preferred amount of paint.

3.  Get my hands in position for the attack.

4.  Hold breath.

5.  Carefully attempt to darken the whole eye socket.  Coming from the side works best instead of going straight in.  Loading the brush with the correct amount of paint is obviously key.  Steady hands help also.  

6.  I then thin down some white paint and dot either side of where the pupil would be.

I've found this is what works best for me.  The process of darkening the eye, then whitening the inside while leaving a black outline, then creating the pupil with a black dot always seems to turn into a disaster when I attempt it.    

• Like 2