Sign in to follow this  
giyomuSan

Darksword - Frog Hunter

Well..let keep it busy, so starting a new minis / scenery with this cute frog and it bumblebee :)

Just to change from the big muscle fighter guys or the green guy haha ( well frog skin may tend to be greenish though...)

So very first beginning..as I do usually zenithal prime on the figure..and blocked out my base shape ( this one I am going to use the water texture from Vallejo, thus the hole made in the base )

DS_FrogHunter.jpg.45a5ab50a1c3c31197843fc847cffcfc.jpg

• Like 14

added some base coat on that base, mix of black, white and brown.
I am using cheap paint for this..however that’s very thick paint so have to add quite a bit of water to it to get it cover the recess made by the cutter.

BBB397B4-B529-4C4F-AF5B-5507CEF4E92C.thumb.jpeg.d3d9a837ee5353128658c8cbb7ce4a63.jpeg

Edited by giyomuSan
  • Like 9

paint coat dry, so got to my next step adding some texture coat for the rocks and ground parts.
my mix for the rocks is quite reddish but since i will apply some washes on top of that later I should be fine

AB0BF2F1-85A9-4A6A-A406-03CBA074888B.thumb.jpeg.3a9ae66e781794ba05d7f1d26950f48c.jpeg

• Like 10

last up for today ..I work a bit more on the base , wash and also started adding water texture.
started the figure as well, base color for now..., got some weird result with the dark blue from scale75 fantasy color..so I end up mix it with black leather from scale color for the frog cloths..

89BBC31D-6ACE-4FD6-83AE-6BBEB49CCE06.thumb.jpeg.0c59ac7b5f14a0370a0c4ea126ad0a8f.jpegF486F24A-AD13-4923-8833-077CB94CD7BC.thumb.jpeg.af4c14a50bd9d3ece6c1206eec2e2379.jpeg

Edited by giyomuSan
  • Like 13

Out of sheer curiosity how do you find the Vallejo landscaping textured paints?   I've been fairly curious about them, hence why I ask ^_^

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out of sheer curiosity how do you find the Vallejo landscaping textured paints?   I've been fairly curious about them, hence why I ask ^_^

@WhiteWulfe

I can't really compare with other product since I started with Vallejo from the start ( that's also the easier brand I can get quickly and without much sending fee :D...)

Overall I am pretty happy with those, I do not have a specific room to work so starting using sand and other stuff like that, I think my wife would kill me haha seeing dirt all over the place :).

For me it 's fairly simple to apply , can be easily colored , either mixing paint or some wash over once dry, they also act as glue when wet if you put small stone etc , so well pretty cool for my use.

200ml pot , and since I am not doing huge diorama , that's plenty of product to use.

I also love their weathering wash like product, like moss, wet etc ..nice to use even on figure I think.

For now I only have and used the sandy grey, black earth and thick mud european..I also have a snow pot that wait to be used , will certainly do a snow scenery next once I am done with that frog :)

I will also add that , you can pretty much also use that as texture for whatever you need , and not just use for terrain etc..( which I did for the rock on that base, adding some sandy grey to give some rough surface )

Edited by giyomuSan
  • Like 3

base update , I added my various little props elements also added some tree stuff and the water pit is now completely filled..I will have to wait a good 24 hours so I can manipulate the base without take the risk of see the water texture run away biggrin.png

Once ok, the rest will be to add couple wash / texture effect and finish to fill stuff , also couple pass of dry brush for the rocks

froghunterbase.thumb.jpg.31e6400c3b806bdf29152b94190b3c63.jpg

• Like 11

Finally, going to close that project..worked on the base and teh figure , need to make a fancy picture now for show off :D..

Here the figure alone finished

froghunter_final_figure.thumb.jpg.ee089c2a960e69fbfe129b332ee6c6c0.jpg

The base, actually I wanted to have a more bluish / white color overall, the clear transparent was cool to see under water but not too obvious, however I make the mistake to do the coloration on the top which kind of kill the clear / transparent effect.

lesson learned , next time I will either do a pass of colored water on the bottom or simply base coat the hole with teh color I want to show through :D

froghunter_final_base.thumb.jpg.d459e45895a3f4149d7571c3462a2ca5.jpg

and finally the guy and base tohether

froghunter_final_set.thumb.jpg.e8dd58a66424780f280bc1d40600cb50.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

What type of foam do you use for your base?

I am really impressed with the bases you come up with!

For this one I found some so called "XPS foam"  contrary to EPS or styro foam this is usually used for wall isolation so quite hard and compact type of foam.

The advantage is that it doesn't peel that much when you start cutting it ( I recently bought a hot wire to cut it though it will be much easier to cut and shape ) and since it is quite compact I think it kinda easy to also build up some fine details with it, did not try yet though.

So I think that is something you can find maybe in any shop that sell stuff and tools for house.

• Thanks 1