Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
For the ReaperCon MSP Open this year, I painted the master copy of the White Drake I sculpted for Dark Sword (it will be released for sale in 2022). I decided to do him in glacial coloration inspired by a glacier I saw while on a cruise in AK.
For the Sculpting story, click here.
For the Painting WIP, click here.
Oh, and I won a gold medal for him in the Open category.
(Bear in mind that that is a 1" base)
I've been working on my drakes/dragons for what feels like forever now. Last week, Jim of Dark Sword brought me a copy of the metal masters for the small versions of them as they are being prepared for casting. He gave me permission to paint one up as my ReaperCon entry, despite their not being released yet. So here goes...
If you want to read the whole tale on the sculpting of these drakes, check out this thread in the sculpting section.
After prepping the mini, I primed it with my airbrush, using stylrnez.
About 6 months ago, I had started painting a resin prototype of this mini that I had printed. That mini was a bit too small and had some errors in the scales on its tail, so I abandoned it. That said, I am sticking fairly close to the color concept I had with that one and will be using it as a preliminary sketch of where I want this one to go. Here is that sketch model:
On Saturday, I got together with a bunch of friends to work on our Open entries and I began the painting in earnest, All paints are MSP. The dorsal scales are based in Sharkbite, the sides in Marid Blue, and the belly in Grindylow Green. The belly was washed in a mix of Grindylow Green and Clear Pthalo Green. I have more work to do on that shading yet though. I then shaded the sides down to Sharkbite. I also have more work to do on the deepest shadows there yet after I get the highlights done.
I also painted the eyes and teeth.
Yesterday, I highlight the sides up to white and based the claws in Drow Skin.
I plan on spending every night this week working on it and have Friday off as well. I hope I can be done on Friday, but we'll see. I do have all my classes prepped, so am ready for ReaperCon other than this project and one other metal work project I have going. It is going to be a busy week though.
During my Shelf of Shame Project I started with the fairy. Since there is only room for one project on my wet palette, this one had to take the back seat during RVE. Today I finished another project, at least as far as the palette is concerned, so I can finally continue with my little fairy. Every aspect of this project was created by rolling dice.
For everyone interested, here is a somewhat elaborate summary of part one:
During weekend I usually put down my brushes. At the moment, painting is a stand in for my job that's on hold because of Corona restrictions, so there will probably be no progress until next week. I just wanted to set up everything so I can start right away!
I haven’t been on the forum much this year. Since joining Anne Foerster’s Patreon I’ve been spending more time on Discord.
I’ve been painting this guy following the paintalong she’s done for one of the tiers. It’s the first time I’ve tried to do a “display quality” paint job. Other firsts are NMM, freehand, leather texture, cloth texture, and sculpted base elements.
I actually started this guy early this year, but then stopped painting altogether for about 4 months after the pandemic started. I picked him back up in July and am getting close to finishing. I’m posting a series of pics I’ve taken as I went, and will continue to post as I finish him up soon.
Feb 29: prepped and primed, with some minor GS work
Mar 1: base GS sculpting
— LONG BREAK —
Aug 2: skin lined, basecoated, and shaded
Aug 6: skin initial highlights
Who's Online 13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)