Grenadier "Monsters of Mythology" Sphinx Speedpaint

On Mondays, I've been playing in a homebrew 5e campaign at my FLGS. Amongst a mostly-monstrous party (several tabaxi, a kenku, firbolg, and centaur) I decided to play a sphynx - or more accurately, an Aarakocra sorcerer with two levels of rogue using the fire-Draconic Bloodline, reskinned as a catgirl-style sphynx. 

I've been in need of a mini, but it turns out, medium-sized sphinxes are hard to find, and lion-sorceress tabaxi minis to graft wings onto are also hard to find - until today! At paint day today, I grabbed a great couple finds out of a huge case of minis that someone had dropped off for sale, including one that's perfect for this character: the Grenadier Sphinx from their lead box set "Monsters of Mythology".

Now, this is a tiny figure, for a monster. Her crouched position makes her look even smaller - next to a human Reaper mini, though, you can actually see that she's perfectly to scale in terms of an ordinary person. The wings are incredible - easily the best I've seen on a mini of that period (opinions may vary) in terms of looking like realistic wings.

It took about two and a half hours to paint and base her - I GS'd her at the shop around three, got home around eight, grabbed a shower, and just banged her out, since I wanted her ready for Monday and I'm working 10AM-12PM tomorrow...

20180623_225027.thumb.jpg.bd5e4c439566da5a1e7c6747d8209d54.jpg20180623_225009.thumb.jpg.786ecb08dbb798d22e0aadcc7496a3f7.jpg20180623_225017.thumb.jpg.48f7fe9bf43940190ad292253b478aec.jpg

Painted a basecoat of Intense Brown on the wings, and Golden Blonde for the whole body. Then I did the face - nothing too fancy, though the lips are redder in person; just some Kohl makeup. Added the bars on the wings, then coated the whole thing in Game Color's Umber wash - indiscriminantly on the wings, and just to shade on the body. Touched up the highlights on the body, then highlighted the bars on the wings again, added the hair and shading on the throat (Game Color's Flesh Shade) and based it up with some split glass and Battlefield XP Highland Tufts. 

Gotta say, she was a lot of fun to paint, and I look forward to playing her on Monday! A couple folks in the group love monstrous female minis, so she's going to be a great surprise, and she fits the character perfectly! 10/10 would recommend getting one, if you can!

• Like 17

The sculptor's name is John Dennett, and he's one of the lesser known but more talented sculptors from back then. He did a lot of really great monsters.

This was part of the huge collection I curated for the Citadel.

It makes me so happy that someone other than me actually bought something from the collection, lol. I've bought probably a third of the damn thing so far... :rolleyes:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.