Critical Role official miniatures from Steamforged Games

Balgin Stondraeg

6 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

I think it might be the Chinese factories saying "no worries, we'll do it in February." And then suddenly deciding not to when the month finally rolls around.

There is also the trick of getting it loaded and on a ship even if manufacturing is technically done in time for it to ship before CNY. 

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NWell, but we never heard about the delay because of quality control until it was "fixed".

The miniatures needed adjustment, according to the last update, but they don't say if they had to do resculpting/posing work, if they had to a reprint from the 3d printer, if the molds were faulty, if their plastic needed adjusting, or whatever else might have gone wrong.

Anyhow, at some point they noticed a flaw and fixed it, which, according to that update now, caused the delay. They still posted fluffy updates with pictures of retail boxes, retail boxes and resin masters without saying anything about how actual production was going. All that while they apparently had problems producing a final product of satisfying standard.

from the before and after shots it looks like it was a mould fill issue (like some of the bones minis has in KS1 where noses just didn't get cast) as they've changed the angle of the heads in several cases and look to have boosted nose size, and mould fill issues only show up once you've made the mould

14 hours ago, Nunae said:

NWell, but we never heard about the delay because of quality control until it was "fixed".

The miniatures needed adjustment, according to the last update, but they don't say if they had to do resculpting/posing work, if they had to a reprint from the 3d printer, if the molds were faulty, if their plastic needed adjusting, or whatever else might have gone wrong.

Anyhow, at some point they noticed a flaw and fixed it, which, according to that update now, caused the delay. They still posted fluffy updates with pictures of retail boxes, retail boxes and resin masters without saying anything about how actual production was going. All that while they apparently had problems producing a final product of satisfying standard.

Keeping problems secret until they are fix (or forever) if they think it won't effect the delivery deadline beyond what they can pass off as standard production delays from dealing with China is pretty common with kickstarters. It's come back to bite more than one company.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sibling said:

Got mine today :)

They seem nice (certainly a lot nicer than the flawed ones they showed). :D

You lucky blighter. Still waiting here in England. Whereabouts are you? It might help to know where they started sending them to first so I can see if there's a pattern emerging.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 2

I got my minis yesterday in Canada. They are nice, though definitely not the same quality as the resin minis I got from their web store last year. I'd say they are comparable to Mythic Battles or CMON, though not quite as good. There were a few mostly minor errors, some small flash lines and a couple voids. They came in nice boxes, way too big but probably designed to stand out at retail. They also had a few ks exclusives that also came in an oversized box, a real waste since they aren't intended for retail. A blister pack would have been plenty for hard plastic minis. All the figures came pre-assembled, assembly was well done though.

The ks exclusives:

_iFcNGSw.jpeg.ed59149a3045c72157073f9398e5970a.jpeg

These guys are apparently Firbolgs, and maybe clones? I don't know the lore, I just backed for some nice looking minis. Anyway, they are very friendly looking, and would make good bartenders or merchants, even bugbears or ogres. The warrior type (an artificer apparently) is a great figure, his face is very similar to the Reaper bones guy in the background. The robot taking notes reminded me of the snarfquest robot. The shininess seems to be an artifact of the camera, they don't actually look or feel shiny.

Here's a rear shot of a couple of the exclusives:

5g1PEhOw.jpeg.7ac173a1e1cdd6d7211539f69312b37c.jpeg

On the left is Taryon. He's a very nice looking mini with some great details. In the middle is a Mythic Battles troop to compare detail and size. On the right is a firbolg, you can see a flash line down his back, this was the worst spot of it on these minis, so not bad at all.

This is the extremely oversized/wasteful package for the ks exclusives:

KnYY2cJg.jpeg.652758412e6549b539d539b4bec198cd.jpeg

They also came in a cardboard box.

This is the Mighty Nein set:gih1On2Q.jpeg.e6cb0079ca5bc84f6e45d1234e925cbe.jpeg

Overall a nice looking group. I am particularly fond of the monk, she could also pass as a wizard or a barbarian. The bard has a cat familiar around his ankles. The male tiefling would make a good Marko from Saga. The female tiefling though has a poorly made head. Her horns are hard to follow and her face is oddly shaped with oversized cheeks. She's the only mini from this ks I'm really disappointed in, though she isn't so far from the render so maybe it's a design choice.

This is the Vox Machina set:

f0B8uhrg.thumb.jpeg.1d17b66c4a94003ad3baf4382232a00e.jpeg

The Golden Compass escapee looks out of place, but it's an armoured bear, so it's pretty awesome even if his details are a little soft and he has a bit of flash on his head. The archer has a bit of a baby face but is a good looking mini that should see plenty of use. The druid is my favorite mini, she reminds me of Nelvana of the Northern Lights. The gunman is quite nice as well, he looks like he escaped from a video game.

Here's a close up of some of the Vox Machina characters:

pDpUl9ig.thumb.jpeg.5b70f1ff651e6f23f216a0e1f58f5065.jpeg

My camera was a bit too close which is why there is an orange tint. The two little minis are supposed to be gnomes, but they don't look anything alike racially. The male has a huge, joker like rictus grin, and the female has not just a baby face but a porcelain doll baby face. They are both good figures though. The rogue's nose is a bit miscast, a shame because he has a very nice face and is a good looking figure otherwise. There's nothing wrong with the druid, I just left her in the shot because she's my favorite.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Suden said:

The ks exclusives:

_iFcNGSw.jpeg.ed59149a3045c72157073f9398e5970a.jpeg

These guys are apparently Firbolgs, and maybe clones? I don't know the lore, I just backed for some nice looking minis. Anyway, they are very friendly looking, and would make good bartenders or merchants, even bugbears or ogres. The warrior type (an artificer apparently) is a great figure, his face is very similar to the Reaper bones guy in the background. The robot taking notes reminded me of the snarfquest robot. The shininess seems to be an artifact of the camera, they don't actually look or feel shiny.

Here's a rear shot of a couple of the exclusives:

5g1PEhOw.jpeg.7ac173a1e1cdd6d7211539f69312b37c.jpeg

On the left is Taryon. He's a very nice looking mini with some great details. In the middle is a Mythic Battles troop to compare detail and size. On the right is a firbolg, you can see a flash line down his back, this was the worst spot of it on these minis, so not bad at all.

This is the extremely oversized/wasteful package for the ks exclusives:

They also came in a cardboard box.

This is the Mighty Nein set:gih1On2Q.jpeg.e6cb0079ca5bc84f6e45d1234e925cbe.jpeg

Overall a nice looking group. I am particularly fond of the monk, she could also pass as a wizard or a barbarian. The bard has a cat familiar around his ankles. The male tiefling would make a good Marko from Saga. The female tiefling though has a poorly made head. Her horns are hard to follow and her face is oddly shaped with oversized cheeks. She's the only mini from this ks I'm really disappointed in, though she isn't so far from the render so maybe it's a design choice.

I'm currently following the Mighty Nein adventures.

The firbolgs are Pumat Sol. A friendly enchanter, owner of the Invulnerable Vagrant magic shop, and the clones (x3) are simulacrum given to him as a reward. They call themselves Pumat "Prime", Pumat 1, 2 or 3.

The "bard" is actually the party's hobo wizard, Caleb Widogast (a cat person with PTSD).

Despite some of the flaws, it's a nice collection with a lot of character. I didn't realize that so many NPCs would make it as minis. But I wasn't following Critical Role back then either.

• Like 3

Got my minis. They're okay. Better than the pictures above, and better than the pictures in the KS updates. Some have some shiny residue in their neck areas though. Maybe it's glue, but I'll have to clean them thoroughly.

Positively surprised they got here, to Germany, so quickly.