Geomagnetic Storms

Erion

I've been playing around with the idea of severe storms hindering Electronic Warfare in a couple of the scenarios in my soon to launch CAV League.

Here's the latest version. Please be honest with your opinions. I think it adds a nice twist while not favoring one side or the other or being too complicated to keep track of.

Geomagnetic Storms:  When this special rule is in effect, add a Joker Card to the initiative deck.  When the Joker Card is drawn each turn, the units which activate with the card that is drawn immediately after the Joker may not achieve target lock this turn. The systems are scrambled by the storm and the attempts automatically fail.  If the Joker is the last card to be drawn, its effects do not carry over to the beginning of the next turn. 

The Severe Geomagnetic Storms variant places both Jokers into the deck, each with the same effects as detailed above.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the storms could cause some severe drifting issues. ^_^

That's the reason I only have it effect one section per turn (2 sections for severe storms). The player still has some control over which models give up their target locks, unless of course you happen to draw the Joker when you only have one section left to use.

I figured not having the "Last Card Joker" carry over would be akin to a brief calm period before the storm let loose again.

I can certainly see your point about removing that caveat for the Severe storms option. If it's a severe storm, nobody should be getting a reprieve.

Yeah, I can see that.

Maybe a really severe storm where it goes the whole turn (init deck) then "calms" down for a turn or two (like the eye of the storm) then picks back up.

I can see it causing people to move and act quicker during the lulls in the storm, maybe even speed things up

Several of the earlier incarnations of the rule had a die roll for storm severity at the beginning of each turn, but I felt like it disrupted the flow of the game. They did hinder everyone equally, but losing an entire turn worth of target lock for both sides really tended to slow the game down.

The more I think about the carry-over for severe storms, the more I like it. Can you imagine someone actually not wanting to get the first activation in a turn? :devil:

So lets play with it a bit, instead of a total TL loss, lets go with a -1 to TL, and it can be cumulative. the next turn if that same section gets caught again, it doubles to a -2 penalty, if caught three turns, make it a -4 (that allows TL to be made, but with no gains- this makes experienced WSOs more attractive)

I like this allot. I do think that the effect should carry over if the Joker is the last card. But what if there was more then one possible effect? Say a chart with 3 possible hindrances caused by the storm, and a d6 roll to determine which effect your section suffers. It would help represent the chaotic nature of a destructive storm.

For the life of me I can't think what the other effects might be though . . .

For the 3 different hinderances option, why not assign them to unused cards? that way they will randomly show up and you won't have to mess around with extra dice.

What would the hinderances be?

besides if all the cards in the deck are being used, I want in on THAT game :lol:

Ghost Rider - no, you don't. It's a big game. Course, if you have a weekend, it could be fun.

Perhaps other effects could be that ECM fails on that section (so if the joker comes up, and I activate my chieftans, then if the next section that comes up shoots at them, the Chieftans do not have ECM). It's harsh, but you'd have some warning.

Maybe 1/2 move for the affected section? Or, TL is possible, but effective ranges are halved for that section?

I would do anything to get into or be a part of a game that big.

I think the hinderances should be storm related. for example 1/2 move because the area they were going through suddenly turned into a swamp. ecm being out for the turn is good too. maybe even a 50/50 chance of a weapon not firing (due to electrical interferance from the storm)