DrakenStone Magnetic Modular Castle Terrain

SamuraiJack

• Members

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/548467345/drakenstone-magnetic-modular-castle-terrain?ref=discovery#

About

My name is Andy, and I've been building miniature fantasy terrain since the 1980s. I have used my hand-made magnetic modular terrain for Dungeon Escape and Legendary Arena Battles at Eye of the Beholder Gaming Guild in Taylor, MI. My prototype pieces are on display at Acropolis Games in Adrian, and Get Your Game On in Ann Arbor. Many players have asked how they can take home magnetic terrain pieces to continue their adventure at home.

I use Hirst Arts blocks (I am a fully licensed Hirst Arts dealer). The process is fun... but painfully slow, as each block must be cast individually, then glued together. To save time and effort, I've began making molds of ENTIRE ROOMS, so that they can be cast AS ONE SINGLE SOLID PIECE with no glueing. Instead of using delicate, breakable plaster, I have been casting using 57D Resin, with enormous success. Instead of building a room in several days, I pour the resin in the mold, and its finished in two minutes. I can cast the entire 29 piece dungeon in one hour. What took me weeks before, now takes only an afternoon.

The 57D Resin is urethane rubber. It is slightly flexible, making it shatter-proof. The rooms can be dropped, and they will remain literally undamaged. No more chipping, cracking, or breaking! Say goodbye to handling delicate pieces. Since they come right out of the mold looking like granite, there is no paint to chip away or rub off. However, the material is paintable, should you choose to add your own dry-brush. Colors available are: Black Onyx, Black Granite, OrcSkin Gray, Gray Granite, White, White Granite, Frost, and Glow in the Dark.

There is no glue involved in any of the pieces.

The magnets are EMBEDDED directly inside the walls during the molding process, and cannot come loose, break off, or become lost. That makes our terrain suitable for kids of any age. Every terrain piece "snaps" together. 

Players who already own Dwarven Forge sets will enjoy the fact that DrakenStone terrain meets up perfectly with their existing sets, making it the perfect compliment. The playing surface is exactly the same height, and the squares are exactly the same size as Dwarven Forge. 

Please join us for a D&D 5E PVP one-shot game "Dungeon Escape", played Monday nights at 7pm, at Eye of the Beholder Gaming Guild, 12345 Telegraph Road, Taylor, MI. See the terrain being used in a real game. Or, watch us live on Facebook.

Risks and challenges

I have already created all the molds. I have already purchased the magnets in bulk. The last step is purchasing the 57D Resin. In pint-sized and gallon-sized units, the cost is very expansive... making the sale of sets to the public prohibitively expansive. However, in a 5-gallon, or even a 55-gallon drum, the cost of the resin is considerably less. Obtaining this bulk quantity of materials will keep the finished castle pieces at a low cost to customers. A 55-gallon drum of the 57D Resin costs $1,000.

Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
  • Like 2

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic