Spray Primering in the big city...

Rat13

Recently I moved from an apartment in a house, complete with a small yard, to an apartment building with a parking lot. Since I like to use Krylon spray primer I knew losing that yard would be a problem. So I thought about it and think I've come up with a solution.

I took a copy paper box and lined it with a plastic tarp. The basic idea is to secure the miniatures at the back of the box and spray them one side at a time. That way the spray can would be inside the box while spraying with the liner stopping any paint bleeding through and keeping the mist contained inside the box. 20180713_185136.thumb.jpg.36e2bd46eee8c5ff926b3a39550c8835.jpg20180713_185153.thumb.jpg.e318eddd80301979566683e196401365.jpg

At the back of the lot there is an area where no one parks because it's pretty tight even for a small car (so there's no chance to hit a car). Testing there should be fine though I'm going to setup off the pavement in the brush just in case (I want to test the idea before I trust it on pavement).

I should be able to test the affectionately named "Complaint Box" on Sunday unless something comes up.

I'm hoping this idea works, but am open to others excluding switching primers that is. Has anyone else tried something like this or have a way to spray prime in the city?

• Like 1

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some free time today and tested my "Complaint Box". I'm happy to report it works and eliminates the chance of primer getting on the ground or surroundings. I did however move the lid to the side of the box, this wasn't necessary but again I wanted to hedge my bet.20180714_190017.thumb.jpg.8f9ffe888c28b99834d5765057d9f54e.jpg

• Like 1

Trust me, there IS some backsplatter when using a box like that. You just can't see it usually.  

The only reason it hasn't hit a car is that it's already dry before it can get to one. 

(Check your hands and arms with a magnifier)

Stick a couple of strong PC case fans in the back, and put up a filter in front of them.  

Of course, by then you're halfway to a decent portable spraybooth... 

Add some lights, and an exhaust hose, and you'd be all set for airbrushing work in your apartment. 

(The exhaust hose goes out the window)

My 'priming box' looked pretty similar to your design, except that I got as far as getting hold of fans. 

Now I have a proper portable spray booth. ;-)

(I'm still a clutz when it comes to airbrushing, though)

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

My 'priming box' looked pretty similar to your design, except that I got as far as getting hold of fans. 

I may get there someday, but for now I'll keep it simple. I'll only be in this apartment for another six months or so and I'll probably only prime three more times, if that. With the new kiddo I'm not painting like I used to.

For my portable spray box, I took a regular cardboard shipping box and cut the top flaps off. I then cut off the top two-thirds of one side. Armed with a roll of duct tape, I used the flaps to cover over half of the top. I lined the entire thing with duct tape.

BOX.jpg.8f3c86c35e9be7a0f8bdd491619627b6.jpg

I also used more cardboard to build a separate cover for the open part so that the rest of the top and the top third of the side are covered, leaving only the middle third of the side still open (for spraying)...  I don't always use the cover, since as long as I'm more than two feet away from a vehicle or building just the box itself usually works fine even with a slight wind.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Since it's dry, it's just another kind of dust. Not a problem, IMO.

Yeah, if it's not right by a car it shouldn't be that big of a concern. On the other hand that spray box is pretty much designed to make sure you inhale as much of that fine paint dust as possible.

1 hour ago, cmorse said:

Yeah, if it's not right by a car it shouldn't be that big of a concern. On the other hand that spray box is pretty much designed to make sure you inhale as much of that fine paint dust as possible.

The good news is that if you're not smelling the solvent, you're probably not inhaling significant amounts of dried paint dust either.

I use a similar system when I'm batch priming terrain pieces and haven't had much problem. Of course I'm doing it in my driveway and I'm a long way away from anybody else's house, so I don't really have to watch out for anybody's property but mine.

21 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The good news is that if you're not smelling the solvent, you're probably not inhaling significant amounts of dried paint dust either.

That's definitely not true. Try wearing a white n95 dust mask for a while and you'll probably see it's not all that white anymore by the time it needs replacing if you are using colored paints. 

An alternative for skipping the mask is holding your breath while spraying, then taking a couple steps back before you breath. Outside that should work well enough.