Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Grenadier Frost Giantess

That's a wonderful figure. The subdued colours are splendidly set off by the bright gold of the arm-band. Definitely put this on display somewhere.

• Like 1

That's a pretty figure.  My Grenadier knowledge is weak, I got into miniatures when they were waning and there wasn't as much of their product in the game stores.  She's a neat gem, I may look for one of my own.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Warlady said:

She is quite beautiful!  Her skin is so delicately frosty, and I love her face.

Absolutely----I think you have created my mew preference for frost kin skin tones. Very well done. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Warlady said:

She is quite beautiful!  Her skin is so delicately frosty, and I love her face.

Thanks so much, the skin started out as ghost white, then down to some blues and dark elf triad, and then again up to white.

13 hours ago, paintybeard said:

That's a wonderful figure. The subdued colours are splendidly set off by the bright gold of the arm-band. Definitely put this on display somewhere.

Thank you!  I almost considered doing the armband a silver color and only using the earrings as the contrast, but then wanted a bit more of a pop.  She'll end up going in my display case with all my other things!

12 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

That's a pretty figure.  My Grenadier knowledge is weak, I got into miniatures when they were waning and there wasn't as much of their product in the game stores.  She's a neat gem, I may look for one of my own.

It's really one of my favorite figures ever, that and a female satyr that John Dennett also sculpted.  When we were little we did both Grenadier and Partha, so when I got back into minis, I started collecting both again, through the miracle of Ebay.  This chick is different in a slightly different version, without the antlers, from Mirliton in Italy.  There were two versions of her, one with antlers and another one they sold in a blister pack that didn't have them, but a headband that's flatter.

8 hours ago, KruleBear said:

Absolutely----I think you have created my mew preference for frost kin skin tones. Very well done. 

Thanks!  I've always thought of frost giants as almost white with blue and purply tints, but with light/white hair to match.  I remember the Monster Manual talked about blonde or yellow hair for frost giants. That just didn't seem quite right.

7 hours ago, Rogue1138 said:

Stunning but subtle I love it 

Thanks very much, wanted her to kind of blend into a snowy backdrop!

1 hour ago, Limey72 said:

Fantastic, the skin tone is outstanding

Thank you Limey72, really appreciate it!

and I just checked, Master Buglips, Mirliton calls her a "Frost Princess".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K2h2m3 said:

One of my favorite figures. Such an amazing paint job!

I agree completely, at least about this being one of my favorite figures!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iridil said:

Beautiful - I like the expression and face and the subtle tones and blending between her skin and clothes is beautriful

Thank you much!  the base color of the skin was ghost white, and then blue and dark elf skin washes, while the clothing was linen white, with more brownish washes.

Excellent work!

I recently found out that a good portion of the Grenadier Giant's Club, including this piece, began as a re-branding of a failed larger-scale display line.  It makes sense, considering the huge variations in design on some of them.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hi again, fine folks!

So just finished this one last night, last part of course the shield, which took me a while to figure out, but who doesn't need a good squirrel shield?  Anyhoos, hope you enjoy!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello guys,

so here is a figure I just finished up yesterday and got her on a base.  

Not so sure where she is from, but am almost sure she's a Ral Partha Import from the eighties, but I could never seem to find any image of her in any old catalogue.

Also no idea who the sculptor is, so if anybody knows, please give me a hand and let me know!

Not too happy with the sword, didn't build up enough to white I think and still a little too blue, but in the end I guess I'm not going back, on to the next new miniature to paint.  If I ended up being too persnickety, I'd never get anything thing finished, and I have a pending pile of thousands to still work on....

• By 72moonglum
      Hi Guys,

another old classic from Julie Guthrie, part of a set she put out for Ral Partha in the eighties, Female Adventurers, which I imagine was their answer to the Grenadier boxed set that was also full of delightful adventuring ladies.

This figure is a little nostalgic, because she's actually lead, back from the eighties, not version cast later in Rallidium.

And as always, wasn't sure on a color for her clothing. I had the hair and skin pretty much figured out, but once I got to that point, it took a day or two to actually commit.

Anyhow, hope you enjoy, a great figure from the early sculpting days of Julie Guthrie!

• By Rigel
      Frog-folk are always irresistible, and tiny poison-arrow frog-folk even more so. These are from a Nolzur's 3-pack. One had some kind of horns on its head I didn't fancy, so I trimmed those off. Look at these big-headed little savages!  

More angles: 

But I know you're all here for the Grenadier! Afraid I had to get this Marsh Dragon from Mirliton, but I couldn't resist. It's so salamander-like, with goggling newt eyes and axolotl gills, and that lovely rounded snout. We're really jaded by fancy dragons after years of fantasy art. Even a low-level drake like this would be pant-fillingly TERRIFYING in real life. Look at that dynamic curve of its body, the lashing tail! The armored prehistoric arrogance of a crocodilian, but faster and more agile; something with the metabolism of a tiger and the yawning bite of a leopard seal, with a bone-breaking tail-swipe. This is a great 'cryptid' dragon, suitable for Call of Cthulhu or a low-fantasy gritty medieval / renaissance game. 

You know any treasure hoard is buried deep in soft, acidic mud, too. They don't stockpile precious metals in particular, but anything else gets corroded away in that caustic sump.

Like the Grungs, I gave it vivid aposematic coloration, partly like the salamanders it resembles, and partly because many of the dragons chronicled in Continental European legend were feared less for their size than for their virulent poison. 

I don't know what the excrescence on its back is meant to be; certainly not wings. Maybe a bony outgrowth, maybe a Suriname Toad style brood pouch of puckered and toughened hide, maybe an organic saddle. Since there are so many styles and colorations of poison dart frogs, I might get another pack of Grung and modify one of them to ride on this thing. Their bandy legs and its peaked carapace look like a good fit.
    • By 72moonglum
      Good morning everybody and Happy New Year!

So I actually had these painted since the very beginning of the year, but had to go out of town and couldn't get their bases finished until I got back.  So here are my first miniatures completed for 2020, four lizard men that Julie Guthrie sculpted for Ral Partha if I recall correctly in 1982-1983 with her series All Things Dark and Dangerous.  I've always really loved these figures and have had them on my pending list of stuff to paint, but finally got around to really painting them.  I painted each one in a different color because I wanted a bit of variety.  They did all start of though being covered by a good layer of Creamy Ivory (Reaper) and then I did washes on all that, and then afterwards chose the actual color and kept going.

Anyhow, hope you guys like these guys!

• Who's Online   6 Members, 1 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)