Sign in to follow this  
BruceDuty

Chess Set Figs

That's a nice set!  Is this project completed now?  I ask because if you wanted some interesting rook pieces instead of the castles then these might be an idea:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/pillars good evil/sku-down/02094

There's nothing wrong with those rooks, I just know the back catalog is deep so it's easy to miss some interesting things in it that you (or the person you made the set for) might find neat. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

living the dream.

im pretty sure painting a chess set is in the back of every painters head.

nice work. 

About six years before the first LotR movie came out I had begun putting together a list of figures for a themed chess set... Never did find the time to get  anywhere with it, unfortunately.

The Good side looks great, but I'm really digging the Bad Guys. ::D:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ced1106
      Guns, ninjas, hobbits, dogs, monkeys, pumpkins, and mancatchers. 

Sure, you *say* you could otherwise do some conversion. But good luck finding a mancatcher *and* a monkey.

Stuff's in metal and cast in the USA. Magnets are from China, but they have multiple suppliers.

• By ChristopherGeorge
      Hi Guys,

Just thought i'd share this project with you. i've been working on it for a few weeks now. I run a weekly gaming session using a home brew system that we've been working on for about 20 years, but this post isn't about that - though if you're curious please send me a message i'd love to chat about it. 

First as is the tradition - the completed board in all it's glory. On the surface, it's nothing unusual, however hidden inside each tile is a small rare earth Magnet. I'm also placing magnets on the bottom of the miniature bases. This gives the miniature a very nice pull towards the board and keeps everything in it's proper square. I'm also going to produce walls, columns and doors each with magnets in to allow me to customize the terrain. I chose a typical dungeon style flooring as it's easier to get a good grid pattern going. Though given that there's magnets in the board, i could easily design tiles to sit on top of the board with other terrain types. I'm trying to think of a way to get an outdoor setting and still keep the grid going. 

and now to the construction.

I began with a thing piece of panel wood only about 6mm thick as the base for the board and placed little rubber stoppers on the bottom for feet (i didn't think to take a picture of that as it's not very exciting.) This board is going to to be the base for the board. On top of them I placed 3d printed tiles. There's only about eight different designs of tile, but with placement and paint they come up looking very distinct. It took about four hours for my little Anycubic Filament Printer to print the tiles (and I had alot of help from some friends and the local 3d printer store) Each tile is 4x4 squares with each square bring 30mm. Each Tile took about 5 hours to print. 

On the underside of the tile is small circular holes about 10mm wide and 2mm deep just big enough for the magnet - though with the print tolerances of the printer i did have to use my dremel to widen the gap so that the magnet could fit comfortably.In the end, i applied superglue to make sure that the magnet wasn't going anywhere. I also had to mark the magnets to make sure that they were all facing the same way. (I'm also thinking about adding a few magnets of the opposite polarity into the base of a Beholder Miniature to see if i can get it float, but that might be just a pipe dream)

Once the tiles were finished it was simply a matter of spraying the board black as a printer and placing a thick coat of grey paint. I simply used the Acrylic paint from the local art store rather than my Citadel paints. This simply acted as the base coat and then i simply built it up in layers with dry brushing lighter shades on to the board to give it depth.

Once this was done I simply mixed in some blue with my paint added a bunch of water to water it down and made a thin wash to bring out the details. I'd need to come back in and add in some of the features, such as the trap door and drains. I also sprinkled some Skulls, broken weapons and shields for good measure onto the board. 

Once the painting was done, I used a thick mud agent, I can't remember the brand from my local gaming store and then covered the whole thing in flock and sand to give it a grimy, slimy feel. Unfortunately, my poor AnyCubic didn't survive the process (May it rest in peace) So this gave me the opportunity to buy a Resin Printer - A Creality LD002S. The Goblin Wolf Riders were my first print. Actually really impressed with how they came out. Other than the clean up, It wasn't too difficult. I used a water soluble Resin to make things easier to keep neat. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the whole process was - It was much much easier than dealing with Filament printers. 

Once the board was finished, I then cheated and had the board framed at my local picture framing store (the only thing i didn't do myself.) Once I got the board back, I thought it looked a little plain So i decided to glam it up - Also was a good excuse to stop printing Mini's on my 3d Printer So i thought i'd print a Celtic pattern around the edges. I knew that i wouldn't be able to print them in one solid peice (Resin printers only downside is a small print bed) So i decided to make little tiles. 

I designed these tiles myself, grabbing the celtic design online and then simply just adding them into 3d builder and setting a thickness to them. A quick coat of gold Spray paint and they came up looking real shiny.. Too shiny.. I added a wash over the gold to attempt to dull them, the pictures don't really do it much justice, but on the board it breaks up the gold really nicely. 

By this stage i was feeling pretty clever with myself, so i thought i'd added another feature, Gemstones in the frame. this proved easier than I thought, I quickly found an STL file for the gemstone and then it was simply a matter of giving them a coat of Citadel's technical range - Waystone Green, Soulstone Blue & Spiritstone Red. The finished photo really doesn't do justice to the how the gemstones came out. 

and there you have it. About 6 weeks to complete (most of this time was waiting for my anycubic 3d printer to finish printing the tiles)

Let me know what you think! I can provide the STL Files for the tiles if anyone out there is interesting in having a go at making one for themselves

We're shutdown right now because of the Corona Virus, so no RPG for us for a while, but i can't wait to get back into it with our shiny new board.

Cheers,

Chris
    • By Inarah
      Coming soon, sometime this month. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skies-of-sordane/skies-of-sordane-3d-printable-stl-airships-and-miniatures

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deadlyprintstudio/battlefx-fantasy-3d-printable-spells-magic-props-and-more?ref=user_menu

After the success of our first Kickstarter, we are now opening phase 2, which focuses on fantasy games. This time, we bring a fun and fresh way to level up any dungeon as well as table top miniatures. We have designed more than 60 magical effects, traps, tokens and condition rings to customize your work of art.
      Every player is different, and now, providing an army, hero, or dungeon with a unique look is possible. Creativity is limitless! This new market is allowing us to create and offer highly detailed effects for people to print right after they purchase one of our packs. And we are eager to see what people do with them. We are confident that any hobby enthusiast will find many uses for these effects, just like we did.
      We’d like to thank you all for taking a little time to see what we have created and sharing your thoughts.
        A new series of 3D printable effects for your Wargame Miniatures and Dungeon sets!
      Highlights:
      Marvelous designs and outstanding special effects quality Beautiful sculpting based on actual dynamic simulations.  Ideal for wargames such as D&D, Warhammer, Pathfinder, LOTR or any kind of diorama. Unbelievable price relative to the quality. A limited collection for limitless printing. ***Included in the Arcane Edition Bundle*** 
       Visual representation is our main goal on this Kickstarter. Spells like "Create food and water" can now be 3D printed and represented on your tabletop games. Fire balls, dancing lights and way more to come!
      King's Fest, Bull's Strenght, Celerity, Eletrified Area, Dancing Lights or Slippery Floor are some of the tokens we painted! FDM or resin, both will look amazing on your dungeon.  Traps are part of the arsenal of D&D masters and dungeons. We give them a personal touch using FX and lights. Perfect to decorate and display on deadly dungeons and battlefields!
       We have created an easy and visual way to represent your buffs, magics ,props and equipment without modifying your miniatures. You can add buffs like Bull's strength, magic shields and more.
      We added 4 anchors to the bases and a lot of generic spells and buffs that work with tons of games. All of them already tested in filament and resin printers. 
      We'll provide a wide range of different inner diameter, and more different types in the Stretch goals! Painted samples of a Spellbase with Bubble Shield, Bull's Streght and a combination of a few spells We wanted to represent debuff and condition so you can place it on your miniature easily. Not only a card/token close to the mini, which creates confusion sometimes.
      With that in mind, we have created a collection of rings: bleeding, confusion, sleeping and poisioned.
       We love minis, for that reason we have created miniatures for our campaing, to show a few examples of the use of our spells. (Human wizard included in the initial bundle)
      They are going to be the big stretch goal of our campaign! If you like our designs, stay tunned to our social media!
      Our elder wizard and two of our Stretch goals Characters!  It's hard to decide which effect or prop we want for your wizard!. So we have designed a wide variety of props and spells ready to be used on your collection of minis and BattleFx Fantasy minis. 
      Hobbypalooza studio made an amazing paintjob with our Wizard!  We've prepared them to be easy to magnetize. It's the best way to visualize how your characters evolve or change their equipment.
      We have designed our miniature hands, spells and props with 2x1 mm magnets holes.  Most of our FX are perfect for tons of games, not only dungeon crawlers. The collection we present is more focused on wargames.
      Painted samples. Fire Arrow (FDM - Ender 3), Fire Ball (FDM - Ender 3) and Gunpowder Weapon FX (Resin - Elegoo Mars)  Firewalls, perfect for the deadliest wizard or to populate your battlefield. Dangerous terrain with vines or spider webs! We did a collection of magic walls, with 1 and 2 tile size.
      All 3D printed in FDM and painted by us! A bit of color make them pup! Wizard with hat, Fire Ring, Square 20 and 25mm Spellbase Permanent Storm Spell ( two parts) and Big Tornado Spell Key Spellbase, Frozen Ring , Fire Arrow Model 2 Doctor Strange's Shield ( two types) and Doctor Strange's Hands Saw Trap and Spellbase Scroll  The Project is organized into 7 sets grouped from smaller sets to bigger sets. All of them have the Arcane edition bundle included. Limited set are marked as such, with special rewards (CustomFx) that you can check below. 
      "Bullet shells and spells" pledge, include our first kickstarter (BattleFx), with all the stretch goals and custom FX, you can check the content here.
      We want to thank the community allowing them to create their own effects. People tell us what they have in mind and we make it real. That simple. Everybody has imagined a personal customization for its mini, dungeon or tabletop game. We would like to offer them the opportunity to create that dream or specific effect for a lower price than on request.
      These effects are divided into three categories: S, M and L. (small, medium and large, but not only means size, also complexity).
      "S" Size Samples "M" Size Samples "L" Size Samples  The S category includes small effects of little complexity. The M category includes either a small and complex effect or a medium one of little complexity. And the L category includes large simple effects or small and medium effects of high complexity.  
      Our effects are generic but totally adaptable. Still, if people have an idea, they can carry it out, we will design it for them. All Custom will be realeased for EVERYONE! So, If you think the 3D printing community need that idea, here is the perfect ocasion!
       We learned a lot of our previous Kickstarter, so now we have a more solid website and a bigger team. We want everything to be delivered perfectly. Check all the stages below:
      Please note that while we’ll do our best to meet these dates, they are an estimation. Read the Risks and Challenges section below for more information about this matter.

• By Standifer
      A dreaded sight on the field of battle the mighty Draconian chargers strike fear into the hearts of all their foes as they barrel down upon them to trample them into the earth. 
      This my triceratops knight  conversion. The Triceratops is a WizKids Nolzurs marvelous miniature, while the rider is from a Reaper bones black overlord cavalry.
      I use admit that this is my largest conversion yet and i got to learn several new skills in doing this.

CHHAAAAAARRRRRGE!

Thankyou all for looking!

• Who's Online   24 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)