Sign in to follow this  
wickedshifty

Water Weird

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GodOfCheese
      Awesome random encounter, paraphrased:

DM describes a green, toad-like beastie.  It--
      Me: "Is that a GREEN SLAAD?"
      DM: "Well, roll a Knowledge: the Planes..."
      Me: "No, no, I mean does it look like THIS?" [reveals recently-painted Green Slaad]
      The Rogue: "Isn't this like a miniature painter's dream?  Having just the right mini for a completely random encounter?"
      Me: HUGE HAPPY SMILE.

• By Londonrhino
      I am pretty new to the hobby having started painting in February. I finally worked up the courage to post one of my completed projects in the hopes of getting some feedback. So here is my painted Large Earth Elemental  from the Reaper Bones line. Any advise is very welcome as I would very much like to improve! Thanks!

• By Darcstaar
      I painted this large water elemental several months back to fill a gap in my water elemental supply.  It started out translucent blue, but I painted it opaque.  I haven't tried inking the transulcents like others have, I lack the inks, and feel I get good control with opaques.  I wanted a simple beach sand looking base, to suggest he has washed up on the beach to harass sunbathers.  C&C Welcome.

• By Darcstaar
      I painted this up quickly several months back, to swell the ranks of water elementals.  It was translucent blue, but I painted it opaque.  I feel I have more control that way, and don't have the spiffy inks everyone says work so well on the translucent BONES minis.
      C&C Welcome.

• By GodOfCheese
      I'm painting a mini with a light source, and decided to rebase the beastie with some water effects, probably epoxy resin.  I'll probably try to make the water at least slightly rough, creating interest for the eye.  I woke up in a cold sweat this morning realizing that the light source should be reflected (or possibly just highlighted) in/on the water. 

My initial thought was to:
      lightly (heh) color the bottom of the pool as if it were dry and lit by the light source pour and texture the water highlight the water by drybrushing from the light source out.  
      My concern about this is that if the viewer looks toward the light, the surfaces of any wavelets will be highlighted on the opposite side from the POV.  In other words, the viewer will see the undersides or backsides of any highlights through the translucent wavelets, and this might not look the way the viewer expects.

Has anyone done this?  I looked around for a few examples but although there are plenty of doing wave effects (froth and foam), I haven't found any yet that look like translucent glare.  
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)