Parchment curling on wet palette?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think your sponge is wet enough.  I soak my song until it cannot hold any more water and there a very small amount resting on top.  The parchment will still curl when you first put it down but will relax within about 30 seconds. 

I also use smaller pieces of parchment. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Clearman said:

I don't think your sponge is wet enough.  I soak my song until it cannot hold any more water and there a very small amount resting on top.  The parchment will still curl when you first put it down but will relax within about 30 seconds. 

I also use smaller pieces of parchment. 

Didn't have enough water, thanks!

• Like 5

1) more water in palette. 

2) flip the sheet over after holding it down manually for a few seconds. Push out bubbles, wipe droplets off surface. 

I only get curling after doing this if I let the palette water diminish too much. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

1) more water in palette. 

2) flip the sheet over after holding it down manually for a few seconds. Push out bubbles, wipe droplets off surface. 

I only get curling after doing this if I let the palette water diminish too much. 

Without realizing it, this may be why I keep my sheets large. So that water doesn't evaporate as fast along the edges of the sponge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I have this problem with mine as well, so I went back to a dry palette. I'll have try the tips present here. Also one thing, do you wring out the sponge any? 

I don't.

With my Masterson, I just tilt the container to empty the excess water until it barely pools. You can still feel the weight of the water, but don't feel it sloshing around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, haldir said:

I have this problem with mine as well, so I went back to a dry palette. I'll have try the tips present here. Also one thing, do you wring out the sponge any? 

Definitely not. In fact the parchment is usually almost floating (at least when I start painting).

The other thing I do is put the parchment in under the sponge or paper towels, wet everything down and allow the parchment to fully hydrate, then flip the stack of parchment and sponge over before painting. The weight of the wet sponge helps to keep the parchment flat while it hydrates, and being on the bottom, it's fully immersed, to the edges are just as wet as the rest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Definitely not. In fact the parchment is usually almost floating (at least when I start painting).

The other thing I do is put the parchment in under the sponge or paper towels, wet everything down and allow the parchment to fully hydrate, then flip the stack of parchment and sponge over before painting. The weight of the wet sponge helps to keep the parchment flat while it hydrates, and being on the bottom, it's fully immersed, to the edges are just as wet as the rest.

Same here.

If you need to clean the sponge as well, it's a good idea to use just a little bit of bleach water and let it soak. Then rinse thoroughly. I think this step likely depends on your general climate. I'm in a very hot/humid area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1