Sign in to follow this  
plaul

Reaper Primer, Different Formula or Bad Batch?

Hello,

I recently (last 4-6 months) bought three grey and three black bottles of primer.  My old bottle finally ran out and I cracked open the newbies to find that they are extremely watered down and do not old to Bones what so ever.  I was curious if I got a bad batch or if Reaper had changed its formula.  Does anyone know?  I am putting on about three times the primer to cover figs as it leaves wide open white spots, so frustrating.  Should I find a new primer?

Plaul

I don't think there's been a change. I'd guess that one of two things has happened (though this is just a guess):

• Primer takes much more shaking than paint and I'm not convinced that Reaper's current agitators are big and dense enough to make that work well. If you haven't shaken the living daylights out of the primer and then done it again, you might try that.
  • 4-6 months ago puts the purchase back into winter. If you live in a cold place, it's possible that the primer froze in transit, which can destroy primer or paint.

If you can't shake the primer into obedience, I'd recommend contacting Reaper's customer service at [email protected] They're very good at making things right.

• Like 4

Doug said everything I was going to, but I'd like to add that on most RMS and HD paints and primers I like to add one or two extra agitators in the bottle when I get them to help make it easier to mix them. I use hematite beads that I get for cheap from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. 

• Like 2

The other thing you can do to test it is pill the nozzle off and mix it with a toothpick. If there is a rubbery lump at the bottom it was frozen, if it mixes fine with the toothpick you didn't shake it enough, and it it's still too thin and watery all the way to the bottom it was mixed wrong at the factory.

• Like 1

I've shak'n the heck out of them and still watery.  I live in a condo and the package sits, when it sits inside before I pick it up.  I'll try the toothpick test.  Thanks everyone.

4 hours ago, plaul said:

I've shak'n the heck out of them and still watery.  I live in a condo and the package sits, when it sits inside before I pick it up.  I'll try the toothpick test.  Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately even in it doesn't freeze on your doorstep there is still the loading dock and the back of the truck. It's pretty hit and miss what might happen to the package before it's dropped off with you.

Ok.  I mixed, I shaked and still came out watery.  I even went down to Games Plus here in Mt. Prospect Illinois (Free Shout Out) and bought two more primers.  BLACK WATER!!  This is unacceptable.  Reaper please respond to my inquiry.  Explain to me why I shouldn't be furious I've bought all this watered down primer?!?!?  I am pretty upset.  It is certainly time to switch paints apparently and maybe miniature companies as well.  Furious!    

I repeated this thread b/c Reaper never bothered to reply and after spending more money on their crappy new primer I want answers.

Ok.  I mixed, I shaked and still came out watery.  I even went down to Games Plus here in Mt. Prospect Illinois (Free Shout Out) and bought two more primers.  BLACK WATER!!  This is unacceptable.  Reaper please respond to my inquiry.  Explain to me why I shouldn't be furious I've bought all this watered down primer?!?!?  I am pretty upset.  It is certainly time to switch paints apparently and maybe miniature companies as well.  Furious!  

33 minutes ago, plaul said:

Ok.  I mixed, I shaked and still came out watery.  I even went down to Games Plus here in Mt. Prospect Illinois (Free Shout Out) and bought two more primers.  BLACK WATER!!  This is unacceptable.  Reaper please respond to my inquiry.  Explain to me why I shouldn't be furious I've bought all this watered down primer?!?!?  I am pretty upset.  It is certainly time to switch paints apparently and maybe miniature companies as well.  Furious!    

Did you email them? Their email is what you use for product quality issues ([email protected] i believe).  They are really good at getting to their emails (admittedly they are currently running their ReaperCon convention at the moment).  The forums are for discussion that's why they have not "responded" to you.  You also posted in the painting tips section which is why forum members have been responding. Making multiple posts doesn't get their attention either.  You more than likely got a bad batch.  Paging @ladystorm....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello All,

Thanks for the attention to the issue and sorry about going about this the wrong way.  I did get in contact with customer service and they are looking to replace the bad primer.  However it doesn't strike me as a solution if all I get sent is more bad primer dripping down my fire giant bodyguard onto my desk.  I am hoping they can tell me what went wrong and that what they ship me is for sure the good stuff.  I'll be back with any updates in the future.

Thanks

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, plaul said:

Hello All,

Thanks for the attention to the issue and sorry about going about this the wrong way.  I did get in contact with customer service and they are looking to replace the bad primer.  However it doesn't strike me as a solution if all I get sent is more bad primer dripping down my fire giant bodyguard onto my desk.  I am hoping they can tell me what went wrong and that what they ship me is for sure the good stuff.  I'll be back with any updates in the future.

Thanks

Purely speculation, but it sounds like it may have been frozen primer. Did you purchase it directly from their website, a game store, or any other third party store?

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, plaul said:

Hello All,

Thanks

If it was a bad batch I'm sure they've noticed by now and ditched anything they still had from it. If it was due to freezing it's a pretty safe time of year to get it shipped no matter how careless the shipping company is. If some how they send out another bad one and they have to replace it again you'll end up with a sales order covered in highlighter and exclamation points telling the warehouse people to check the bottle before shipping it.

• Like 2