New metallics found...

They're called "Sophisticated finishes" and contain real ground up metal in them . You can get 1 ounce sizes, they have incredible covering power, and get this, you can age and patina them!

There is a Bronze and Brass set, which comes with a patina solution ( real patina ), and a iron set that comes with a solution to make it rust. So I paint up the plate on a Uruk-Hai, undercoated with bronze, drybrushed silve, then shaded with a light coat of iron. Then I applied the patina material, and man, it looks like worn, gritty, beatten up metal!

-Daniel

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The big bottles are $9, but there are sets of three 1.5 oz bottles. usually 2 metallics + a patina/shading solution. The shading solutions are worthless, but the patina solution actually chemically causes the metals to patina/rust.

The sets are $7.

They're thick, maybe a hair thicker than vallejo, but they thin with water. They are acrylic based.

I'll whip up a skele, and show you guys how it looks. I'll see if I can get my webcam to take a good pic...

-Daniel

There is a Product from Valejo Paints, it is called Metalic Medium. †It is a non-color medium that changes any color you add it to into a metalic paint. †It is really neat and you can come up with some great custom colors.

how bright is it?

does it lighten up or darken the color it is used in? I want metalic Royal & midnight purple and those are colors seem easy to ruin by mixing.

I have the ancient citidel metalic purple, green and blue but i may run out soon. At least the old pots did not dry out.

how bright is it?

does it lighten up or darken the color it is used in? I wat metalic Royal & midnight purple and those are colors seem easy to ruin by mixing.

It does not change the color at all.  I have not seen any diffrence other than it becomes metalic.  I love this stuff.  That and the "smoke" transparent color they have.  It is awsome as will.

Is the "smoke" transparent color anything like a black ink or is it lighter and more transparent than an ink

I am thinking about buying Valejo paints and have seen this listed at the online stores and wondered about it. Unfortunatly I have no local supplier and can't go look before I buy :(

It is kind of hard to describe, it is lighter than black ink and makes some great weapon and armor wash, but is also good for 'dirtying' up a fig so it looks like it has a worn weatherd apperance.  I use it on leather alot for that 'old leather' look.