Sign in to follow this  
Gadgetman!

Slightly Damned Bookification Project

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1858050352/slightly-damneds-bookification-project

About

Whatchu Doin'!?

6b1b9f2fed5e43f8d1137f5241a04432_origina

Slightly Damned is a webcomic that debuted in 2004 and can be read for free (always!) at sdamned.com! It is the story of Rhea Snaketail, a girl killed through mysterious circumstances, and her adventures through the afterlife and beyond. She befriends a Demon named Buwaro and an Angel named Kieri, and together they travel the world, seeking lost family and uncovering the secrets of an ancient war. 

357e78756ed2cf1349a0b52f0f4ad20f_origina

Slightly Damned won two Ursa Major Awards in 2012 and two more 2013, namely for "Best Graphic Story" and "Best Other Literary Work". In 2014 there was a successful Kickstarter campaign to manufacture plush dolls based on the comic's leads.

However, this campaign is all about the comic! Specifically, printing the books!

With your support, we will be taking our first step towards producing print volumes of Slightly Damned. It's time to get those comics out of cyberspace and onto some ink and paper!

Tell me about these books!

2b31e12bae4f2f806d916353410ab0c2_origina

Slightly Damned: Book One contains original comic pages #1 through #187, re-lettered and proofread by, not one, but two editors for maximum grammatical accuracy. The comic pages have not been altered in order to preserve the original story, aside from some minor formatting for the book. This book is also chock full of brand new artwork that cannot be found anywhere else!

0d140818b2efed95a6be5de2c8003fcb_origina

New Artwork? Like what?

Slightly Damned: Book One contains the following new art:
Both chapters have a new cover - (The old covers will still be included in the back of the book.) Both chapters have a new cover - (The old covers will still be included in the back of the book.)
There's an exclusive 4-page bonus comic! There's an exclusive 4-page bonus comic!
New gag strips! New gag strips!
And a select number of redrawn pages! And a select number of redrawn pages!

Not only that, but depending on your pledge, you can even get rewards with the book. Some rewards allow backers to add personalized content to the book, such as scripted gag comics and nominating an old comic page to be redrawn! 

Gimme some rewards!

Here are the reward tiers, and the rewards associated to each tier!

670f99b1acea7a2ce1777b195aee73ea_origina

The physical rewards include the softcover book, a double-sided bookmark, a signed bookplate to personalize your book, a stickers sheet, a set of 4 prints, and penciled original page. Since the original pencils to each Slightly Damned page are one-of-a-kind items, some pages are unavailable due to being previously sold or lost over the years. 

93d458d48efe253f740e7c3950a2cb59_origina

Many of the higher rewards allow backers to contribute to the book, by scripting or suggesting a gag script or by selecting a page to be re-drawn. All backers are included in the Thank You pages!

Show me those stretch goals!

There's only one stretch goal. If this Kickstarter reaches $35,000, then I'll have the funds to print Slightly Damned: Book Two! 

738feb5b76ecd4a677ef75bef6075e29_origina

And get this, it will come with its own set of brand new bonus material!! Just like book 1, this includes re-drawn covers, an exclusive bonus comic and gag strips, as well as a new bookmark and some digital wallpapers! If we reach this stretch goal, backers will be able to select tiers to add book 2 to their order.

5abc9ab8dbb33fc18d84c2d4c5867625_origina

Say... Weren't there already Slightly Damned books?

Yes. For a couple of years, I used a print-on-demand service to produce copies of Slightly Damned: Book One, Book Two, and Book Three. I sold them online and at conventions. Each Slightly Damned book was well over 200 or 300 pages in full color, and unfortunately, the service I used was ill-suited for making books of that size. The cover stock was too thin, the binding was too weak, and the books often came with errors. After a while, I decided to discontinue selling those versions

The books that will be made through this campaign will be of higher quality, and due to the printing method (offset rather than print-on-demand), will cost less than the first editions. Not only that, but I've worked hard to include TONS of bonus material to make these volumes as definitive as they can be.

So if you've already got one of those first edition copies, I hope you'll find it in your heart to pledge towards this new and improved version! (Yes, those are legally distinct first edition copies with a different ISBN and everything.) Even if you don't want it for yourself, it'd make a great gift to a friend who needs a new webcomic addiction, or donation to your local library!

And if you still don't want a physical copy of the new edition, you can still get access to all of the brand-new bonus material and help fund the print run by pledging $5 for the PDF!

Thank you for your support!

852f952d2e92f248d5cbb5b400168e12_origina

Risks and challenges

Even though my last campaign met its goal and everyone got what they pledged for, it was a bumpy road. It was certainly a learning experience for someone who decided to take on their first Kickstarter campaign solo! Too many tiers, too many rewards of various sizes, and being blindsided by expensive shipping costs resulted in a load of complications, even though it eventually worked out in the end.

This time, however, I'm backed by the experience of Hiveworks (hiveworkscomics.com)! They have been working with me every step of the way to make sure this campaign gets off on the right foot, and they'll be helping me make sure everything is printed and shipped on time and within our budget. We also made sure that all the rewards were either digital or easy to ship. And aside from the backer-created content, I've already designed pretty much all of the material that needs to be printed!

Getting these books printed will be a bit of a challenge due to the comic's age and the fact that several supporters already have the first editions. I can only hope that the comic has gained enough new readers, and that past supporters are generous enough, in order to reach the campaign goal. In order to ensure a certain standard of quality and consistency, I want to get the Slightly Damned archive printed in order before getting to the material that's never been in a book before.

And lastly... I've been an online presence for well over a decade now. Honesty is my number one policy, and I've never broken a deal, no matter how small. Even when things go wrong, I have striven to be as transparent as possible so that no one is left in the dark. I always deliver. That's why Slightly Damned has lasted for as long as it has! Well, that, and the infinite patience of my friends, family, and readers like you!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this