Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 7: What is the silliest name for a pet that you can think of?

So my father loves cats with little white feet. He especially loves to name them Boots. I am fairly certain that we still had the original Boots when we got Boots the Second, but she also came with a brother, who he promptly named Puss. (Puss and Boots, get it?) The boy cat quickly became mine but I hated his name. You just try as a preteen to tell the other kids at school that your cat's name is Puss. So one day I renamed him. His Majesty Sir Alfred Ignacious Fuzzy Face the First, Esq. It was on his vet records and everything. (Sure, his new name was perhaps more ridiculous than Puss, but better to have people laughing with you about how ridiculous your cat's name is than to be making crude comments that make you uncomfortable.) We said goodbye to him around 18 years ago, but he is still spoken of fondly, always referred to as His Majesty.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'll be naming my next cat Gbajabiamila.

I was heavily downvoted when I named Bartolomeus, because I want to name him Lamont. Because he was a big dummy.

• Like 6

Does not compute. Our male cat is alternately Gandalf, Flufflernutter, Little Prince, and Fluffy McStabinator. None of these are silly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

The present dog is simply named Chief.

But also known as The Misguided Missile.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

The present dog is simply named Chief.

But also known as The Misguided Missile.

image.png.ae74603b2544947cb6cdde7abe8743cf.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

My friend named hers Man-Cat. Mainly because when he has a really stinky poop he struts around like he's proud of it.

On a related note: Bagel the Cat. Same friend was running her FLGS when one of the patrons told her there was a terrified stray outside. Since she is a big animal lover and deals with animal adoptions she went outside and the orange cat went to her right away. When she was driving home I hopped into her vehicle to help her with it, but the cat was an absolute cuddlemuffin with absolutely no fear of strange people at all. This was around 10 p.m when it all went down, so she messaged the animal rescues that she knows and then put the cat in one of her spare carriers and fed it, since it was so hungry (it wasn't a fan of her cats, though). Late at night they got a hit from one of the animal rescues and managed to bring Bagel back to the owner around 3 in the morning. Apparently he had zipped out of the house when they were bringing groceries in, and then Bagel spent the next 3 days regretting ever going out into the wilds of the city. But now he's safe and sound, and everybody is happy.

• Like 7

I have a cat named Friznat, but everyone just calls her Friz or Kitten.

A friend has a cat we gave her named Seven. When he was just a kitten he was the first of the litter to learn to jump out of the box. So inevitably we would be counting kittens and it would go.."One..two..three..four..five...six...Hey, where's seven?!"

Had another from the same litter that ended up being named Pool because she was "Trouble with a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for Pool." :D

Edited by DanH
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Wednesday, August 8: What amazing thing have you done that no one was around to see? It can be cool or embarrassing.

Can we instead go with something that totally was seen?  Because that's what I'm writing.! :p

Jumpstyled through a crosswalk, downtown, in the middle of the drunk person blitz (aka Saturday night at like 1am)...  All along the crosswalk line.. 

... In front of a police van.  Y'know, the ones they put groups of people in? 

Yeah.  In a city that had no idea what jumpstyle was, when said dance form was still fairly new even in Europe... 

Didn't get arrested, didn't get barked at, they just kind of looked at me with wide eyes in one of those "what on earth did we just witness" looks, all while a friend was all "how did you not get at least talked to?!?!" 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Wednesday, August 8: What amazing thing have you done that no one was around to see? It can be cool or embarrassing.

About 12 years ago I drove to work in my older VW Jetta.

I entered a roundabout and apparently a truck had lost palm oil on the road.

So the car started to slip, turnd around a few times ( I think I made three complete circles) then got straight again and headed for a lamppost.

I kept cool all the time and managed to steer past the lamppost, got the car back on the road and continued to drive to work.

There was nobody else there which was lucky because if there had been a car in the other lane on the roundabout we would have crashed into each other for sure.

• Like 8

On 8/7/2018 at 12:04 AM, redambrosia said:

Gossamer

hrh_rtj_04.jpg

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

A 270° degree spin, in a Ford sedan, on an ice coated bridge, on a US interstate... ...in dense fog.

Wound up sitting sideways in the left lane out of three. Crossways to traffic. 

The only way anyone could have seen this would have involved them being just a few car lengths behind, and me being rammed;  so... good job no one saw

• Like 8

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Does dragging my arse outta bed to go to work every Monday count? (Note: Mrs. Gargs gets up and leaves before me)

No? Okay, then it would have to be the hole in one I got a number of years ago. Actually looked like I knew what I was doing . . . except there was nobody around to see that it actually looked like I knew what I was doing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Nothing comes to mind. I am a pretty unamazing Guy.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Gossamer

A 270° degree spin, in a Ford sedan, on an ice coated bridge, on a US interstate... ...in dense fog.

Wound up sitting sideways in the left lane out of three. Crossways to traffic. 

The only way anyone could have seen this would have involved them being just a few car lengths behind, and me being rammed;  so... good job no one saw

I did a 720° spin on an interstate overpass in a snow storm with someone about 200 yards behind me.  Got control as I came off the overpass headed in the proper direction and eased on the gas to keep them from plowing into me.  I was in a subcompact and the vehicle behind was a full sized Van. Both times I was facing backwards I saw the Van gaining on me.

• Confused 6

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

Nothing comes to mind. I am a pretty unamazing Guy.

Same. I uhh... can't answer my own question :blink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2