Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

30 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

I did a 720° spin on an interstate overpass in a snow storm with someone about 200 yards behind me.  Got control as I came off the overpass headed in the proper direction and eased on the gas to keep them from plowing into me.  I was in a subcompact and the vehicle behind was a full sized Van. Both times I was facing backwards I saw the Van gaining on me.

Ditto.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Wednesday, August 8: What amazing thing have you done that no one was around to see? It can be cool or embarrassing.

Technically, there was a witness to this, but. . .

Back in the early 2000s, I had a scut job that required me to be at work at 6 am.  I got up one Sunday (I think) morning, and found that the 1" of snow we were supposed to get overnight was more like 6".  So, I got out the door as quickly as possible, and made my way very slowly and carefully to work.  I was halfway to work, driving less than 20 mph, and the light in front of me changed to yellow.  So, I eased on the brakes, but since the streets were basically unplowed at this point, I had no traction and kept sliding forward.  As the light turned red, I slid into the insection, now turning in a counter-clockwise direction.  As I pass through 9 o'clock, I notice two things:  1) I am pointed directly at a car (which is fortunately not moving), and 2) it is a police officer.  I barely register that, because I am now sliding backwards through the (otherwise empty - remember, it is before 6 am) intersection.  I hit 3 o-clock about the end of the intersection, and wind up facing in the proper direction just beyond it, where I regain some semblance of control over the car, and continue on my way to work.

I kept expecting to see lights from the officer behind me, but nothing.   They rolled through the intersection like nothing happened, albeit a bit on the late side, what with me sliding through it and all. . . .

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 8/6/2018 at 11:04 PM, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 7: What is the silliest name for a pet that you can think of?

One that I just heard on Only Connect: Air Chief Marshall Sir Jock Slithers (for a snake).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Same. I uhh... can't answer my own question :blink:

You mean everybody is watching you the whole time while you do amazing things?

***Just say yes..trust Uncle Wolf***:ph34r:

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Wednesday, August 8: What amazing thing have you done that no one was around to see? It can be cool or embarrassing.

If there were no pictures or other witnesses, I would argue the event didn't truly happen.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I'm pretty sure there have always been witnesses to the cool stuff, and most of the embarrassing stuff.. 

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

If there were no pictures or other witnesses, I would argue the event didn't truly happen.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

After nearly a year, I finally fixed the issues with my video card. May not seem like much, but it had frustrated me the entire time trying to figure it out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

I did a 720° spin on an interstate overpass in a snow storm with someone about 200 yards behind me.  Got control as I came off the overpass headed in the proper direction and eased on the gas to keep them from plowing into me.  I was in a subcompact and the vehicle behind was a full sized Van. Both times I was facing backwards I saw the Van gaining on me.

Curious, every time I spectacularly lost control of the car, I was alone without any witnesses, and not even speeding, with my winter tires.

The one that amazed me most was at spring time. Snow melt refroze at the end of a highway exit that ended with a full stop. I slowed down and maybe thirty feet from the intersection, I lost traction. Then gradually, without any hope of regaining control proceeded to surreal level of slow, 180°, as if gently blown by the wind, until I hit pavement and got traction again.

Other times, I was moving, with a fully loaded car, in the middle of a snowstorm, and sideswiped a snowbank. No damage (just a big muffled Whomp!). No trouble getting back on the road, which did surprise me as I have trouble going over 15cm of snow.

P.S. To make the story more interesting, SUDDENLY, OUT OF NOWHERE, NINJAS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Uhh... I used to go galloping up hills on a fat and slippery horse with a clunky gait. Without a saddle. Without a bridle - I just had the reins tied to either side of a halter. I guess the horse is the witness to that. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Dropped a glass and managed to bounce/juggle/keep it in the air long enough to finally catch it on the fourth try.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Thursday, August 9: What type of cereal is your favorite?

Most of my cereal memories are from when I was a kid, before recipes started being changed, though it was really the prizes inside that was the true treasure. I liked many kinds of sugary goodness, but Alpha-Bits was certainly a favourite (Wizard of Words forever!).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thursday, August 9: What type of cereal is your favorite?

Cereal?

I do not consider that food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3