Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thursday, August 9: What type of cereal is your favorite?

Rice Krispies.

Honorable mentions: Kix, Lucky Charms, and the Powerpuff Girls Cereal.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, TGP said:

I wandered away to google things and I have learned that boiled oatmeal is porridge but there are porridges made without oatmeal. Polenta and Grits count as porridges. I’ve tried Grits. Just the once. Won’t repeat the error. )

Yes, I've eaten grits once. Absolutely, emphatically ONLY ONCE.

And while we're discussing culture shock/misunderstood foreign cuisine: Biscuits and gravy. I only managed one mouthful.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Fiber One.  But only because of it's essential "duty"

Otherwise, Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I wandered away to google things and I have learned that boiled oatmeal is porridge but there are porridges made without oatmeal. Polenta and Grits count as porridges. I’ve tried Grits. Just the once. Won’t repeat the error. )

Must not have been properly seasoned or cooked.  Grits is just ground corn meal,  just like cream of wheat is ground wheat.  Needs to be cooked in milk, with sugar and/or salt. It's fantastic with a soft cooked egg over the top. 

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

And while we're discussing culture shock/misunderstood foreign cuisine: Biscuits and gravy. I only managed one mouthful.

What did you find so appalling?

My favorite breakfast cereal would have been Crispy Wheat and Raisins, but it's not made any more. There's something similar now, Oatmeal Crisp with Hearty Raisins.  I'm not sure how raisins get "hearty".  Anyway, it's a premium raisin bran, lots and lots of raisins and the flakes don't go soggy immediately. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, pinkymadigan said:

Mix em. 

Honestly, I think Fiber One tastes a lot like those crunchy chow mien noodles.  I frequently add them to salads for the crunchy texture.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

What did you find so appalling?

Bland and tasteless, but as you've said, I could have done my own condiments. The biscuits weren't so bad, but it was the shock of getting "gravy" that was a bone-white colour that really freaked me out.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, paintybeard said:

Bland and tasteless, but as you've said, I could have done my own condiments. The biscuits weren't so bad, but it was the shock of getting "gravy" that was a bone-white colour that really freaked me out.

Ah, then you didn't have the right gravy. Hubby makes this delicious sausage gravy that is just so, yummy! 

Darnit, now I want some!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

To the extent that I still eat cereal, probably Cheerios (not the store-brand substitute, which tastes like sawdust). You know it's properly prepared when you can spoon out the sugar sludge when you finish drinking the milk.

When I was a kid, it was definitely Cap'n Crunch, but I eventually got tired of the gum damage. That stuff is like eating broken glass. Sweet, sweet broken glass.

• Like 6

Honey bunches of oats, followed by Smacks and Honeycomb. Multigrain Cheerios are pretty good too. 

On topic of oatmeal and grits and cream of wheat: these are vehicles to put brown sugar into my face. I do put a tiny pinch of salt in the water for oatmeal, because otherwise it tastes bland and boring. I wouldn't call it "salted" in the sense of flavor though. I also add absurd amounts of cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. My dad and I have this habit with the hot cereals.... make the mound of the hot cereal, with a little crater in the center. Put butter in the crater. Load up on the brown sugar (the purpose of homemade oatmeal is brown sugar, not health. Just give up any pretenses). Then make a moat of cream around the mound. Smash it up as desired. I mix from there. 

Sidenote: I'm currently eating instant maple & brown sugar oatmeal, because I don't have a kitchen but I do have an electric kettle. I do not add extra sugar to presweetened hot cereal. 

And adding fruit to cereal is gross. Eww. Fruit is good, but leave it on the side please. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

it used to be Honey Nut Cherrios,  but I have had to switch to Oatmeal for health reasons. 

four days a week I rotate the following flavors - 

maple syrup and brown sugar 

apple and cinnamon

Jelly (whatever is in the fridge)  

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3

Do oatmeal cookies count as cereal? I think my oatmeal cookies are healthier than my oatmeal in porridge form.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

Honestly, I think Fiber One tastes a lot like those crunchy chow mien noodles.  I frequently add them to salads for the crunchy texture.

Yeah, so when you mix them with a sweet cereal they act like bland lettuce in a really good salad, a delivery platform for the stuff you want. Almost like a granola, where parts of it are functional, and parts of it are for taste.

Plus, I really don't need all the fiber every day, just a nice boost.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

When I was younger, peanut butter captain crunch!

Now I usually eat 1/2 cup of oatmeal with a soon of peanut butter and a banana. Not my favorite though, just easy.

• Like 6