Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Today's quizit brought to us by @Xiwo Xerase!

Friday! August 17: 

When you were growing up did you have a favorite show? Have you watched it since then? Has your appreciation for it changed?

Favorite shows growing up:

Transformers

Thundercats

G I Joe

He-Man

All 80's animation.  I've watched them all since and still enjoy them all, though He-Mann hold up the least, and I get bitter when I think about the modern interpretations of Transformers.  I will say I probably enjoyed the 2014(?) adaptation of Thundercats more than the original.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday! August 17: 

When you were growing up did you have a favorite show? Have you watched it since then? Has your appreciation for it changed?

Many quality programs that I've loved have been mentioned already, so I'll just bring up a few that my life actually revolved around:

Transformers (I still have a scar from when my brother and I were fighting over who got to sit in the good spot to watch it)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (this one aired on Sunday mornings and thus saved me from a lifetime of being a recovering Christian)

Babylon 5 (raced home from MIT's outreach program to watch this one)

Star Trek: Voyager (dropped out of Boy Scouts for this one)

I haven't actually watched TMNT since then, but I've rewatched the others and still have much love for them. I have TF and B5 on DVD.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday! August 17: 

So this question originally came from two different thoughts:

• I recently rewatched the movie "War Games" and my appreciation for it changed.  I'm not sure if it's simply because I'm older or if it's that I've been exposed to more movies and the like and can identify tropes better.
  • My wife loved the original "My Little Pony" growing up.  We watched the DVD of the first season of the original series.  At some point, we started playing "Spot the animation fail."  Her appreciation of it hasn't changed significantly but she's more aware of the technical failings.

My favorite show growing up was Doctor Who.  I used to stay up late to watch it on Maryland public television.  I rewatch episodes (or stories or whatever you want to call them) every so often.  They make good background noise.

One thing I've realized is that the production values aren't necessarily great (although I believe they're pretty good for the budget they had).  I'm not allowed to criticize shows or movies simply for being campy anymore. 

The stories aren't necessarily great either but a show can't always have great stories.

Is it still fun to watch?  Sure.  Do I regret buying all of the DVDs?  No.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday! August 17: 

The entire gamut of Saturday morning cartoons. Some........did not age well. Others hold a special place in my heart, though I'm not able to access a lot of them (or haven't really made the attempt):

-TMNT

-Transformers

-Smurfs

-Droids

-Ewoks

-Astroboy

-Hercules & Rocket Robin Hood

-Snorks

-Taz-Mania

-The Muppet Show

-Babylon Five

-Earthworm Jim

-Mr. Dressup

-The Friendly Giant

-Puttnam's Prairie Emporium

.......and many, many more. Too much to list here, I'm only giving you a sampler of the massive amount that I watched as a child. There's even a couple more that I seriously doubt you'd recognize.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

and many, many more. Too much to list here, I'm only giving you a sampler of the massive amount that I watched as a child. There's even a couple more that I seriously doubt you'd recognize.

If you haven't stumbled across the Saturday morning cartoon Theme-song compilation vids on YouTube, I would encourage it.  Really fills that nostalgia hole without the need to track everything down.  I even discovered a few that I had not heard of because they were not carried on our local channels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday! August 17: 

Yes.

As a child, I loved a lot of both imported and domestic sci-fi animation. Some has aged well; most has aged spectacularly badly, but I would place "Star Blazers" ne "Space Battleship Yamato" at the top of the list for things I loved as a kid

The original Japanese show shows it's age, but tells a good story. The dubbed American version was surprisingly faithful for an import of that era, but suffers a bit more when viewed by an adult. (Say, that "spring water" they keep knocking back in small, ceramic cups might not be water...)

The (relatively) recent Yamato 2199 version, on the other hand, might be my single favorite remake in the history of remakes, and updates the whole thing for a more modern, and more adult audience without losing the slightly strange "WWII Navy in space" theme of the original. (If anything, it doubles down by introducing a submarine.) I eagerly await a chance to get my grubby mitts on a well-subtitled version of the 2202 season. :wub:

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

So your weakness is gingers? :huh:

Hey, I'm Irish... Redheads are mu kryptonite...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2018 at 9:20 AM, redambrosia said:

Thursday, August 16: What is something you thought you'd grow out of, but haven't?

Roleplaying games and becoming inordinately excited anytime I get to explore rockpools at the beach.

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday! August 17: 

Without a doubt, watching reruns of The A-team was the highlight of my week. To tiny 'lil me, stuck in the middle of nowhere in the Inner Hebrides, it was the most exciting, exotic thing in the world to watch the adventures of those soldiers of fortune :)

I rewatched it a couple of years ago, and its still amazing. I don't care how cheesy it is, I still love it. Also, Mr T is still awesome :lol:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Hey, I'm Irish... Redheads are mu kryptonite...

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

What's the atomic weight of µ-kryptonite?

:huh:

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Geez, I set you up with a straight line like that and this is the best you can do? How about:

"A gentleman never asks the atomic weight of a redhead."

Kids these days. I mourn for the future of the world. :down:

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday! August 17: 

I had lots of favourites. The one that stands out for this question is Magnum PI. Barely remembered it but a few years ago asked for and got the dvds as a Christmas present. Really enjoyed it. Not every episode is great but overall a great series that still holds up pretty well today.

7 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The entire gamut of Saturday morning cartoons. Some........did not age well. Others hold a special place in my heart, though I'm not able to access a lot of them (or haven't really made the attempt):

-TMNT

-Transformers

-Smurfs

-Droids

-Ewoks

-Astroboy

-Hercules & Rocket Robin Hood

-Snorks

-Taz-Mania

-The Muppet Show

-Babylon Five

-Earthworm Jim

-Mr. Dressup

-The Friendly Giant

-Puttnam's Prairie Emporium

.......and many, many more. Too much to list here, I'm only giving you a sampler of the massive amount that I watched as a child. There's even a couple more that I seriously doubt you'd recognize.

Can tell you grew up with the same channels I did with that list. Sometimes I kind of despaired that we had the same few shows over and over again on CTV and CBC. Some good stuff but not a huge variety. Never saw Snorks or Earthworm Jim but I think I have most of the rest memorised because it was watch them or nothing.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday! August 17: 

The A team

Simon and Simon

Dukes of Hazard

Loony Tunes

Tom & Jerry

Roseanne

Married With Children

Soap

Cheers

Fraiser 

Daria

Tiny Toons

Animaniacs

Whenever I watch these again I can see where certain formulative influences came from. I enjoy them as much as ever but sometimes they awaken a sense of nostalgic despair. As we age our minds get locked in at a certain point, and mine is around 1998. So comparing the world depicted in these with the world now can be somewhat jarring as to a certain part of my brain the last 20 years haven't happened and never will. It's disconcerting to say the least when one gets done with bingewatching shows where personal interaction is depicted with a great deal of quickwitted wordplay or friendly insult to step into a reality where conversation above the level of grunting is almost impossible because everyone's nose is buried in their phone and attempts at friendly banter are  mistaken for hateful verbal attacks. I find myself in the position of being a grumpy old man some 20 or 30 years prematurely as a result. 

• Like 3