Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 19: 

What's your worst or funniest bug related story?

While living in the south austin marketplace, I moved into 4 building so as to get away from elfhole loud neighbors. (all walls in all buildings stopped an inch or so from the ceiling tiles and there was no insulation of any kind. Anything above a whisper was audible for a 4 room radius and these were not the kind of people who cared about such things as consiteration for others.)

This was when my war against the bedbugs began. 4 building has been infested for at least 7 years and on the second day there I had to get rid of the bed. So I replaced it with a couch that had recently been dropped off to the day room, not realizing that now the bugs would have an invincible fortress. By the end of the month sleep had become a memory. (partly due to the bugs, added to by an insane drunk on the other side of the wall.)

I had gotten ahold of some diocemetrius earth and applied it liberally to the couch and baseboards of the room. It kills them by puncturing their shell and they starve over a 3 day timeframe. I also spent what free money I had on sprays and wd-40. Both of which only kill on contact, but the wd-40 is actually cheaper. There is no such thing as repelling them and capturing and deploying a praying mantis did not work either. I think they (or the roaches) ate it as I never saw it after I let it loose. Didn't find a body either. Maybe it escaped.

The Battle of the Couch came at the end of the second day after deploying the diocemetrius earth. As soon as I got home from work and sat down, they came swarming out of the cushions in an unstoppable tide. I squished about 15 or so before I realized that they weren't stopping and more kept coming from the depths of the couch. 

So I rolled onto the floor and popped the tops off the spray cans and with one in each hand unleashed hell upon them. I thought it was over by the time the cans were empty. I was wrong. More emerged as soon as the sprays stopped. So another two cans were unleashed, same thing. It was an endless tide and at the time anger and sleep deprivation were kicking in and my thinking veered off into nothing more than a red mist. At the same time I was spraying wd-40 into the hoard, I was dumping rubbing alcohol onto the couch, hoping it would seep into the cushions. I then popped off two bug bombs and stuffed them under the couch, caring not one whit about how breathing that stuff in is a bad idea. They kept coming, I kept killing as the choking mists filled the room. Finally I was driven out by this and spent the rest of the night trying to nap in a chair in the courtyard. The morning I got one of the guys to help me lug the couch to the dumpster, and I had a few nights of almost peace, even though I was now sleeping on the floor. Despite the amount of spraying and bombing, along with the removal of the fortress nest, they were back within a week as more came in from their ceiling kingdom or other rooms. 

This was in 2014 and I'm still fighting this war, even after moving back to IL. A freezing winter in the far shed didn't kill all of them, I had an outbreak in early July after they hitched a ride in when I was moving some stuff around in the shed. Hopefully another winter there will finish them off. 

I now look at the Battle of Macragge in 40k with different eyes than most, the Battle of the Couch bearing an eerie similarity to it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 19: 

(Bugs are unamusing; Going with worst:) A wasp got me on the right side of the face when I was 9 years old. Swelled up so bad the right eye was forced shut. 

• Sad 8

Sunday, August 19: 

When I was around five, I was playing in my grandma's yard. I stepped on a bee. The bee did not appreciate it. As I screamed about my imminent demise though, my grandmother taped an onion to my foot. Supposedly it would make it better. I have no idea if it did, but having an onion taped to my foot made me shut up :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 8/18/2018 at 3:17 AM, redambrosia said:

Saturday, August 18: What is the most awkward thing that happens to you on a daily basis?

Generally, nothing. I take steps to avoid awkwardness if at all possible.

Sunday, August 19: 

When I was 8-9 years old, I got sting on the foot twice by a wasp that was inside my shoe.

I was putting on my shoes, and apparently the evil little bar steward had decided to rest for the night inside one of them. He got me twice before I could get me foot back out, and he came out buzzing and mad as hell. Unfortunately for him, my other shoe was already on. He was terminated with extreme prejudice.

So I learned from a very early age to always check inside my footwear before just putting it on.

• Like 7

On 8/18/2018 at 2:17 AM, redambrosia said:

Saturday, August 18: What is the most awkward thing that happens to you on a daily basis?

Talking with people. 

37 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Generally, nothing. I take steps to avoid awkwardness if at all possible.

When I was 8-9 years old, I got sting on the foot twice by a wasp that was inside my shoe.

I was putting on my shoes, and apparently the evil little bar steward had decided to rest for the night inside one of them. He got me twice before I could get me foot back out, and he came out buzzing and mad as hell. Unfortunately for him, my other shoe was already on. He was terminated with extreme prejudice.

So I learned from a very early age to always check inside my footwear before just putting it on.

Similar experience, except mine was a scorpion. 

• Sad 8

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 19: 

Several years ago Mr Flit and I drove to visit a friend who had moved to Chicago. It is a 10 hour trip. An hour or two into the trip it was discovered that there was a spider in the car. Not a really large spider, nothing like a tarantula or anything similar. But I really hate spiders, cant touch them because they are gross and would bite me and probably kill me. Can't stomp on them because I don't want spider (or bug) guts on my shoes. The spider played hide and seek with us for hours. At one point I thought it was in my hair and I shook off my hair. A bit later it was crawling on Mr Flit's leg. It had been on my hair after all. Mr Flit refused to let me drive in case the spider got on me and made me wreck the car. Once we stopped for gas and I tried to buy spider spray, but the convenience store didn't have any, foiling my plan to fumigate the car.  Since Mr Flit does not have any issues with spiders he was annoyed at my "overreactions". This is the worst part of the story.

The funny part is when we were literally a block from our destination at a stop light the spider crawled onto Mr Flit's leg again and he grabbed a nearby napkin squished the spider.

• Like 8

Well once many many years ago (almost 50). I was writing an Algol program for Freshman Computer Programing.  A punctuation problem put the program in an infinite loop.  I had to get the operators to shut the program down and then retype the punch card.  (What do you mean not that kind of bug?)

Extra credit for those that can tell what Algol was.

• Haha 8

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 19: 

Don't really have much to be honest. About the closest I can think of was when my sister and I decided to collect a bunch of lightning bugs when at my grandfather's, then we put them in my mom's suitcase for her. Why? Beats me, in my defense I was 4. My sister on the other hand was 9. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 19: 

Just a few nights ago I was sitting at my computer when I heard a tiny amount of scratching. The windows of my bedrooms were open so I thought it was an animal outside. I went to check, but there was nothing there. Later on I heard the scratching again; it kinda sounded like it was inside one of the rooms, but it surely must have been outside, and yet there was nothing that I could see. And I knew it couldn't be a mouse inside my place, because there was no constant scrabbling noises. It was late so I decided to go to bed. 2:30 in the morning I heard the little scratch-scratch again, and this time it was DEFINITELY close by. I turned the light on and looked around my bed, but couldn't see anything. Then a small movement caught my eye and there I saw the BIGGEST spider I've ever seen on the bookshelf right beside my bed (and I've seen a lot of spiders in my time). I took a look at me and zipped away incredibly fast as it dropped down to hide among my Rolemaster books, probably thinking that the massive amounts of math would keep it safe. I took a Kleenex and tried catching it a couple times but it was really quick, but I managed to get it and then toss it outside. Didn't think to take a picture of it at the time, but it was most likely a barn funnel weaver since they're common here. This is an example of what they look like:

image.png.d93f3cbfc7678287ae2724799c4ec277.png

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Yeah, those guys can get quite large. I saw one almost as big as your photo, out in the garden last week. She was welcome to whatever she could find to eat. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/18/2018 at 12:17 AM, redambrosia said:

Uhh.... I have to remember to pull the wad of hair off the shower wall and put it into the trash can. I brush my hair in the shower and have to put it somewhere so I stick it to the wall until I'm done. Long hair is kinda annoying. 

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 19: 

Good one: As a kid I used to collect all the garden snails and line them up on my arms and my head. I could cover myself in snails. It was funny. 

Both worst and funny, but I was witness in part: Sir Cyr took a shower. He plopped cloths on the floor, because showering fully clothed is not a good idea. Somehow, a bumblebee got into the pile of cloths. He picked up his cloths and they buzzed, and he got slightly stung on the belly. He dropped the pile and left it - we didn't actually know it was a bee until later. A day later, the bee was still in there, and she was not amused. I got her out, and brought her outside. She was a BIG bee. While taking pictures she put up her paws in an "Imma fight you!!" pose. She didn't really want to sting again, but was making a little stink threatening and it was adorable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 19: 

OK: Not technically a bug but a red-back is a lethally venomous spider

I was bitten by a red-back spider in the car on the way home from school. My mum refused to believe it was a red-back, as the spider was too orange. I demanded she drive me to the hospital so she slapped me because i was being “hysterical”. We got home and I packed my arm in ice, I could feel the venom going up towards my heart and it burned. My dad got home, about one hour after we had, and my Mum told him the story and he said “oh yeah that would have been a red-back”, my mum was horrified and said “oh no! We’ll have to take her to the hospital”, my dad responded with “well, she’s not doing too badly, I think she’ll be fine.”

I still guilt trip my parents with this story. They are normally incredibly caring and nice.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Well once many many years ago (almost 50). I was writing an Algol program for Freshman Computer Programing.  A punctuation problem put the program in an infinite loop.  I had to get the operators to shut the program down and then retype the punch card.  (What do you mean not that kind of bug?)

Extra credit for those that can tell what Algol was.

Has it got something to do with FORTRAN?

• Like 2

Bugs: Skyrim dragon corpse got stuck in a building and started shaking so it looked like it was humping the house. 

• Haha 8