Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thursday, August 23: What song or artist do you like but rarely admit to liking? (Taylor Swift, anyone?)

Hah, she's the perfect example for me. I liked her when she was a cute love sick teenager. Not so much now that she's a grown up, whiny beech. 

6 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

N/A

I'm too old to be 'cool' anymore. If I like a song/artist, I'll freely admit it. If someone wants to give me grief about it, they can take a long walk down a short pier.

Yeah, that sounds about like me too. I like what I like and other people can listen to what they want even if it is crap.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Hells teeth, what is Jpop?

That stuff that makes you feel like you just ate a kilo of sugar and a whole cheesecake :p  okay, that should have been purple but still.... 

It stands for Japanese pop.  There's a lot of interesting stuff in it, and others have explained it better, so I'll just say "Smile.dk - Butterfly", words that will make most ex-DDR players cringe since once you've played DDR enough you've eventually been subjected to the two teenagers (usually girls) who do the Butterfly marathon.... 

.... And then right after you're all "sorry guys, got challenged to AA this song and it's the last thing on my list for the day..."

Sure, Smile.dk isn't quite what most know as Jpop but still. 

2 hours ago, VitM said:

Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole.

:poke:::P:

Drivers must remember that occasionally person riding shotgun has shotgun, and therefore has right to an opinion on things.  Shotgun also has hands free and if they're going to be coerced into navigator duties, usually winds up thiefing whatever audio device is hooked up and being also coerced into the role of musical provider/chooser.  Hubby does this role well ^_^

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Drivers must remember that occasionally person riding shotgun has shotgun, and therefore has right to an opinion on things.  Shotgun also has hands free and if they're going to be coerced into navigator duties, usually winds up thiefing whatever audio device is hooked up and being also coerced into the role of musical provider/chooser.  Hubby does this role well ^_^

I will wreck this car and kill us all. :zombie:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thursday, August 23: What song or artist do you like but rarely admit to liking? (Taylor Swift, anyone?)

Uhh... I will totally admit to what I like, although my favorites have shifted over time (symph metal is my thing now - and yes, I like the bagpiper from Nightwish). The most potentially embarrassing phase? Aqua and Europop. Y'know, Barbie Girl and the I'm Blue Da Ba De Da Ba Di songs? Yep. Those ones. I like them. I don't listen to it often, but damnit, they're fun. Aqua actually has some nice toned down stuff and excellent other comedy satire songs too. Barbie Girl might be one of the few songs I'm willing to karaoke, because quality doesn't matter. 

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

The music you hear in the openings to anime :lol:

^only sometimes. Sir Cyr doesn't make me watch ones that are pop-ish on opening song. 

• Like 6

On 8/17/2018 at 3:34 AM, redambrosia said:

Today's quizit brought to us by @Xiwo Xerase!

Friday! August 17: 

When you were growing up did you have a favorite show? Have you watched it since then? Has your appreciation for it changed?

Muppet Show, still great.  Most of the rest of the late 70's to early 80's shows are quite cringe worthy now.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:17 AM, redambrosia said:

Saturday, August 18: What is the most awkward thing that happens to you on a daily basis?

I accidentally start singing the songs that play in my head out loud.

On 8/18/2018 at 11:53 PM, redambrosia said:

Sunday, August 19: 

What's your worst or funniest bug related story?

To properly appreciate this story, you would need to envision me: a tall, chubby guy with long arms and legs who is jealous of the tanning abilities of most albinos.

So I was working in my garden and found that a whole nest of ground wasps had settled into my compost bin.  I found this by digging straight into the heart of their nest as I went to turn the compost.  They weren't amused.

Next thing I knew, the air around me was filled with the buzz of the swarm as they all fought to find enough room to land on me and sting to their hearts' content.  I on the other hand decided to make a mad dash in a beeline (pun intended) away from the hive, straight toward the front yard and the street in our suburban neighborhood.  Now bear in mind that most of the wasps were clinging to my T-shirt, stinging me over and over (wasps suck that way; they don't even give up their lives for the cause). Knowing that wasps hone in on the attacker via the pheromones that the first few excrete, I whipped my shirt off as I ran and threw it behind me.  I continued to run straight out to the street where my neighbor was having a party entertaining her book club.  The look on their faces as the fat red-headed guy wearing nothing but black jogging shorts went screaming by, the glare of the sun on my white belly a beacon for the swarm at my back.  Yeah...good times.  I had over 30 stings by the time I doubled back to the house and got inside.  The wasps for their part continued to attack my shirt for the rest of the day until after the sun went down.

Fast forward a couple weeks, I had by that time evicted the wasps and was doing some more work in the yard, moving the large pile of wood I had been seasoning into the garage.  In the wood pile, unbeknownst to me, a large multilayered complex of paper wasps had been well established.  They really were not happy when I knocked the wood pile down, ripping their nest apart. You can imagine my surprise as the whole colony rose out of the wood pile like some vast cobra rearing to strike.  I was even wearing the same shirt.  They hit me like a hammer right in the chest.  Having experience in this now, I headed for my escape route, throwing clothing to the wind behind me.  As I ran past my neighbor's, I noted in passing that the same ladies were in attendance again, watching my strip tease with open mouths once more.  I obviously ran faster this time as I only got about 20 stings (though they hurt more, probably because paper wasps are quite a bit larger).

A couple weeks later my neighbor asked me if I was planning any new acts for her gathering that week. <_<

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

You already named her.  I also like Colbie Callait and Meghan Trainor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

15 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I have no problems admitting what music I like and then subjecting other people to it. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Nope. Not telling! :ph34r:

8 hours ago, VitM said:

All hail Dean Winchester. And yes, he's absolutely right. Unless of course shotgun happens to be the wife. :(

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Heh... uh... I have no shame in my musical tastes. 

I also have very little discrimination to that taste. My coworkers usually walk into the office and start the day with "Morning Crowley. What are we listening to today?" They sometimes make requests, but darn if their tastes aren't so bloody normal. 

9 hours ago, VitM said:

9 hours ago, pinkymadigan said:

This.

Absolutely this. Don't care if they're holding the shotgun. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

My wife and I have a system kinda like this.

Her responsibility is to drive and pay attention to the drivers around us.  My responsibilities are navigation (making sure we get there), prompting for lane changes or turns (because I have a better feel for roads for some reason), conversation (keeping the driver awake), and music (because I can spare the cycles to select songs on the iPad or whichever).  I do have to pick music she likes, or can listen to, but that's not too hard.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 24: What's the funniest thing you've seen a kid do?

When my niece was still pretty young, but eating solid food, I decided to see if she liked strawberries. So I gave her a plum sized strawberry, thinking she would bite it (which she could do). Nope, the whole thing vanished into her mouth, like a noodle being sucked in. She had the most serious wide eyes, and once she was done, held out her slimey little hand and went "MMMMUUUU!!" Which I took to mean "more" :lol: 

Not quite as good were the times I gave my nephew fake fruit to bite on. Eventually he stopped accepting fruit from me :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, August 24: What's the funniest thing you've seen a kid do?

Off the top of my head, my niece wins this one hands down. For a quick background though, my father-in-law has MS and worse, has the rarest, and worst form of MS. The result is that he is prone to falling and when he does fall, he usually needs help to get back up.

So a couple of years ago, when my niece was about three (maybe a few months younger) she was living with my in-laws. As a result she got to know "Papi" real well. So we were visiting and the following occurred:

Brother-in-law: Hey, what's Papi do?

Niece: *falls to the ground and holds out her hand* Uhhhhh Nnnngggg Uhhhhh *all while writhing on the ground*

Fortunately Papi thought it was funny too.

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Not when the guy sitting shotgun is the one bankrolling the trip. At that point I am the Shareholder and I demand appeasement. 

Oh, is this your car, Miss Daisy?  No?  I reiterate:

21 hours ago, VitM said:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3