Getting To Know You August

Crowley

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 28: What is something you like to do the “old-fashioned” way?

Reading books made of plants, baking cookies from scratch, cooking, writing, and drawing.

54 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Censored.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to say that or "redacted" :lol:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Sit behind a desk, talk on a phone, that is wired to a wall. :blues:

Sit behind a desk, draw things, on paper, with a pencil.  :rock:

Sit at a table in a restaurant, eat a meal, pay with cash, and leave a tip on the table using coins...  <_<

Ok I get wanting to leave a tip in cash, but why coins specifically? Do you just have a giant jar of quarters or dollar coins?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

My books are actual books.

My music is on disc, cassette, records, and I even have a few 8 tracks laying around somewhere.

My phone is not smart, and now that I have access to a land line I prefer it.

I pay in cash wherever possible.

The only technological device I use in the yardwork is the lawnmower, and even then the non self driving one. Trees and heavy shrubs are met with an ax rather than the chainsaw. 

About the only concessions to modern technology I make are the laptop and the ps4. (I prefer games on discs but I'm no longer anywhere near a gamestop so I've been forced to downloading.)

• Like 4

This isn't truly "old-fashioned" because I like and use power tools, but I'm going with the general category of "making things with my hands".  3d printing and CNC are fine, but they eliminate tasks I enjoy doing and replace them with ones I do not.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Cooking and baking (but not dish washing). I do a lot of my recipes from scratch.
  • I still like the feel of manual transmission cars (but not during stop-and-go rush hour traffic)
  • Face-to-face role playing games. Plenty of online tools and games, but group experiences cannot be beat.
  • Taking down notes on paper instead of a digital device (easier to doodle too).
  • The whole physical book thing instead of digital documents.

Reading the other entries, "old-fashioned" is still a pretty common thing.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Reading, with an actual book, printed on actual paper, and using my eyes, rather than my ears to consume the content.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Silly answer: pay with debit.  We've had it for over twenty years in Canada, and our car import laws say 15 years old means it's a collector's item, so I'm going with that. 

Serious answer: drive a standard transmission.  For those who enjoy driving (or live in a winter climate six months of the year) its rather handy, and very enjoyable.  I phrased this the way I did though, because of one big reason - most people use a vehicle not because they enjoy driving, but because it's one of the only viable options for getting around reliably (and to get a good amount of groceries, etc). 

There's also something rather enjoyable about being able to proactively shift, instead of the reactive measures an automatic has.  Manual/standard transmissions also don't shift up a gear when I'm going up a hill, silly automatics...   I also don't mind stick in stop and go traffic ^_^

I'll also copy wizard beard's answer, I meant @paintybeard...  Being able to not only see and know what's under the hood, but actually be able to work on it.  I miss my old Corolla, was so easy to work on, if you ignore the oil filter placement on the 4AFE...  Well, until you got to know the two tricks to getting it off, then it was easy!  Modern cars may be more fuel efficient, but they're overweight in comparison, and have a bunch of extra things in there that can actually kill you at the track... 

6 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Surf the Internet on a text-only browser.

With orange, or green text? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2