Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Ok I get wanting to leave a tip in cash, but why coins specifically? Do you just have a giant jar of quarters or dollar coins?

I used to ask the bank for a few dollar coins for this very purpose. 

When ever I watched movies as a kid, the detective or spy or lawyer (main character) would stand up leave a few coins on the table and leave the all-Night diner for the next scene. 

And that is the way it should be.

Edited by TGP
nothing to see here just administering a beating to autocorrupt...
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 28: What is something you like to do the “old-fashioned” way?

Okay, so this is a little bit of a paranoia one, and that can be explained in xkcd format. Look up "xkcd Voting Software" (#2030). I don't bank online, and pay bills via check, in the mail. The mail has a finite number of people that come into contact with it, whereas paying bills online could be intercepted by any number of people at any number of places from anywhere in the world. I keep as much serious information off the internet as possible. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Everything or just about everything. I have been doing most things the same way for a very long time. 

Methods change, but it is more an evolution than a sudden thing. Inertia is a powerful force.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 4

I use a paper planner and take all my notes on paper - even though I'm a computer scientist.

I also HATE youtube how-tos - I'd rather a step-by-step instruction sheet. 

(Most of what I consume on youtube is professionally edited, because I can somehow hear low quality sound and editting)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Like many others here, read a real book.

55 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Surf the Internet on a text-only browser.

You're a glutton for punishment, aren't you? 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Art. I'm learning classical methods. Spoilers: it's effective.

Also jobs around the house. I like hand tools, I even hand planed the rabbet in my window sills. As an artist and musician (and professional typer, I guess), I get nervous around things like table saws.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

Thats pretty hard core :lol:

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:
  • Reading the other entries, "old-fashioned" is still a pretty common thing.

Well, we're a very small, weird sample :lol:

Edited by redambrosia
Stupid auto corrupt..
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

You're a glutton for punishment, aren't you? 

15 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Thats pretty hard core :lol:

For the record, there really aren't that many sites left where text-based browsing is feasible.  Just too many graphical interactive elements these days.  So while it can be fun to relive how things were at the birth of the Internet, it's not really practical.

Oh, and I was always a grey text on black background kind of guy.   Thankfully, never had to deal with a single color monitor.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

Bah, I surf on punch cards delivered by lame mules.

They're basically old school QR codes. With the right compression algorithm, you can store a surprising amount of information in them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Write with a pen and paper.

And while not quite "old school" (at least not yet) I like to do my own grocery shopping and standing in a line with a cashier.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Write with a pen and paper.

And while not quite "old school" (at least not yet) I like to do my own grocery shopping and standing in a line with a cashier.

I dunno, I am slowly coming around to those self-serve grocery checkout kiosks, ...beating on them with my cane is just a bonus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

I dunno, I am slowly coming around to those self-serve grocery checkout kiosks, ...beating on them with my cane is just a bonus. 

Better than beating the cashier with a cane I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

By the way, what's this about being old fashioned to know how to fix a car?  I can do that on any on the road. But then I worked thru college as a grease monkey and spent almost 40 years as a computer tech.  The new cars are easier to fix than old, it is just that the parts to replace got costlier.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I'm cool with self-checkout, right up until I have to navigate their lowest-bidder inventory system on their greasy, half-dead touch screen to look up the price/sku on something that doesn't have a bar code on it, like a banana. :angry:

• Like 5