Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting To Know You August

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tuesday, August 28: What is something you like to do the “old-fashioned” way?

Cooking. Especially baked goods. Things like brownies have no business coming out of a box. They might be yummy, but brownies are SO EASY and so pleasing to make from scratch. 

Granted, I eat a lot of packaged junk, but I truly enjoy cooking.... if someone else does the cleaning. 

I like paper books more than digital, especially textbooks (flipping pages helps pull knowledge together). However, I am growing to like my kindle just for the sake of saving space. Nowadays I read things on kindle, and if I like the book a lot, I get a hard copy for later. Or I snag used books in actual paper - real bookstores are fun. 

I like taking notes on paper more than on computer. It is easier to write equations and make corrections like that, and track what's happening. Even when I was doing a ton of homework, I'd hand write it most of the time unless I needed the computer for some reason. It helps me show my work, and I made sure to give my graders nice homework as best as I could. 

I like to play computer games that are just... the computer game. NO MICROTRANSACTIONS. Just gimme a game and let me play. Maybe throw an expansion my way occasionally. 

I prefer having my music player separate from my phone if I am able (but this happens less and less unfortunately). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I still occasionally launch command.com and fiddle with Windows settings and execute functions in "C:\" folders.

[Reminds self of not so good old days of programming init strings in my 1200 baud modem. Gawd! Something that made sense 25 years ago is complete gibberish to me now.]

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I still occasionally launch command.com and fiddle with Windows settings and execute functions in "C:\" folders.

[Reminds self of not so good old days of programming init strings in my 1200 baud modem. Gawd! Something that made sense 25 years ago is complete gibberish to me now.]

Because I hadn't seen it called that in forever (we just say cmd or command prompt around the office here) I did a double take, thinking you were talking about a website.

Then, out of curiosity I decided to go there. It's a big ol' picture of Tim Gunn. What a pleasant surprise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I like paper books more than digital, especially textbooks (flipping pages helps pull knowledge together). However, I am growing to like my kindle just for the sake of saving space. Nowadays I read things on kindle, and if I like the book a lot, I get a hard copy for later. Or I snag used books in actual paper - real bookstores are fun. 

With you 100% on this. For anyone working away from home for long periods kindle is an absolute godsend. however I'm approaching it from the opposite end to you: Books that I have loved and are already on my shelves but will be re-read many times get duplicated onto kindle.

And as you say, real bookstores are the best, I just can't walk past them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Cooking. Especially baked goods. Things like brownies have no business coming out of a box. They might be yummy, but brownies are SO EASY and so pleasing to make from scratch. 

Granted, I eat a lot of packaged junk, but I truly enjoy cooking.... if someone else does the cleaning. 

I get how making your own food, especially baked goods, is becoming kind of old-school, but I think of using a boxed mix (vs. buying ready-to-eat food) even older school. It may just be my own mistaken impression, but I think of the heyday of mixes (in the US) as roughly the '60's through the '80's.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 3

I make biscuits and gravy and pancakes from scratch, not from a mix. I don't have anything against anyone who does it that way, but I just prefer to do it the hard way. 

I used to be adamant about physical books, but I'll be honest space and convenience won. I no longer have the space to store physical books. I still buy hardcovers of some books that I really love.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I get how making your own food, especially baked goods, is becoming kind of old-school, but I think of using a boxed mix (vs. buying ready-to-eat food) even older school. It may just be my own mistaken impression, but I think of the heyday of mixes (in the US) as roughly the '60's through the '80's.

When it became normal to have women entering the workforce, there was a whole lot less of home cooked meals waiting for you at the end of the day, and a whole lot more of ready to eat, or quickly prepared foods. So the tradition of mothers teaching their daughters how to cook and bake has become a bit of a lost art.

We have a whole generation of people where many have cooking skills that don't go much higher than "add boiling water, wait 5 minutes, serve".

• Like 1

It isn't a single generation. My dad's partner couldn't microwave corn properly without screwing it up until she retired and decided to learn to cook. She still overcooks her curry, but she can make something edible and is capable of boiling water now. 

31 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

With you 100% on this. For anyone working away from home for long periods kindle is an absolute godsend. however I'm approaching it from the opposite end to you: Books that I have loved and are already on my shelves but will be re-read many times get duplicated onto kindle.

And as you say, real bookstores are the best, I just can't walk past them.

Books that are long loved are or were on the shelves; except for my signed copies, I often give my favorite books away. I have one of my copies of the Mallorean (5 small books version), but I gave my two volume pairs of the Belgariad and the Mallorean to an old roommate's nephew who was the right age for them. I'll buy them again when I want to reread them, without hesitation (perhaps kindle and hard copy). Before getting signed copies of my Brent Weeks books, and before I had a kindle, I probably gave away three copies of the Night Angel trilogy. Favorite books aren't for hording. They're for sharing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Books that are long loved are or were on the shelves; except for my signed copies, I often give my favorite books away. I have one of my copies of the Mallorean (5 small books version), but I gave my two volume pairs of the Belgariad and the Mallorean to an old roommate's nephew who was the right age for them. I'll buy them again when I want to reread them, without hesitation (perhaps kindle and hard copy). Before getting signed copies of my Brent Weeks books, and before I had a kindle, I probably gave away three copies of the Night Angel trilogy. Favorite books aren't for hording. They're for sharing. 

You are a better person than I am, I shamelessly hoard books that I really like.

That said, once you get to know someone well enough to know what kind of books they will enjoy, there is no greater pleasure than giving them a book they haven't read but you can predict that they will like.

(Well, there ARE greater pleasures, but you know what I mean....::P:)

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

You are a better person than I am, I shamelessly hoard books that I really like.

I have a bad habit of collecting books.  Worse, I collect books that I mean to read "some day."  I should really stop.  I'm out of shelf space.

I should really read more and I should be more ruthless about what I acquire and what I retain.

Books I know I'm going to reread someday?  I'm definitely going to hold onto (unless I find someone to give them to).  (For example, The Hobbit or The Atrocity Archives or The Warrior's Apprentice or Monument or The Enchanted Forest Chronicles.)  Books I might not read again (for example, the original Dragonlance trilogy), yeah, those should go.

I seem to do most of my book reading on airplanes.  I don't travel often though.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I fell off the thread because this month has been so busy. 

I make pie dough the old fashioned way(not that I actually make pie dough regularly). Cutting butter in with your fingers instead of a food processor. I read physical books. I make physical lists instead of lists on my phone. 

And probably other things I can't remember.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I'm cool with self-checkout, right up until I have to navigate their lowest-bidder inventory system on their greasy, half-dead touch screen to look up the price/sku on something that doesn't have a bar code on it, like a banana. :angry:

The ones at the store I shop at are pretty good. All I have to do is type in what it is. And the attendants regularly clean them, so they aren't gross. 

I just like them them because I don't have to have awkward conversations with the cashier...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

The ones at the store I shop at are pretty good. All I have to do is type in what it is. And the attendants regularly clean them, so they aren't gross. 

I just like them them because I don't have to have awkward conversations with the cashier...

I'm fine with cashier conversations, I'll take the self check out just to avoid baggers. So much food ruined by baggers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I have a bad habit of collecting books.  Worse, I collect books that I mean to read "some day."  I should really stop.  I'm out of shelf space.

I'm proud to say that all the books that I have on shelves have actually been read, at least once.

And there is a pile of about a dozen beside various chairs that are still in the process of being read.

If that pile gets too big, I stop buying books. (Unless it's something REALLY good, of course...)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, paintybeard said:

(Well, there ARE greater pleasures, but you know what I mean....::P:)

Cheesecake doesn't mix well with book reading anyways, at least if you try them at the same time.  Oh, I know what you were referencing but cheesecake, and a nice mug of tea is heavenly... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3